[discussion] unmaintained and unsupported Apache CMS

[discussion] unmaintained and unsupported Apache CMS

Peter Kovacs-3
Well it turns out the Apache CMS system we use for our download side is
unmaintained and unsupported.

If the system breaks it takes weeks to get someone to fix it. This
turned up in a discussion on the private list.

I start / move the discussion to the dev list because stuff that turns
up in private tends to get stuck there.

It is something we should address mid term.

If you have made some suggestions it would be great if you could repeat.

infra has no suggestions how to deal with the issue. They tend to use
Pelican for building from markdown.

We use rewrapped html. So thats not working out for us I guess.

Dave suggested to use the CMS build script within Github, or maybe
Jenkins. (Mentioning Dave, because he mentioned to move the discussion
should move to dev. So I assume it is fine to mention him.)

I hope I did not spoil anything, and do not get hit like the last time. :/

All the best

Peter

Re: [discussion] unmaintained and unsupported Apache CMS

Andrea Pescetti-2
Peter Kovacs wrote:
> Well it turns out the Apache CMS system we use for our download side is
> unmaintained and unsupported. ...
> It is something we should address mid term.

For the main openoffice.org site we could simply go back to static HTML
(plus SSI for the limited usage we are making of it now) and edit HTML
pages directly: i.e., we store in SVN the result of the CMS processing.
We wouldn't lose much, since I think most people edit HTML anyway when
editing the site.

For openoffice.apache.org we have everything in markdown and we could
either keep the markdown and use a different tool, or, again, convert to
HTML and keep the converted copy, but in this case we would have a
maintainability loss.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [discussion] unmaintained and unsupported Apache CMS

Dave Fisher
Hi -

> On Oct 9, 2018, at 9:44 AM, Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Peter Kovacs wrote:
>> Well it turns out the Apache CMS system we use for our download side is unmaintained and unsupported. ...
>> It is something we should address mid term.
>
> For the main openoffice.org site we could simply go back to static HTML (plus SSI for the limited usage we are making of it now) and edit HTML pages directly: i.e., we store in SVN the result of the CMS processing. We wouldn't lose much, since I think most people edit HTML anyway when editing the site.

We currently store the original HTML from the Oracle OpenOffice.org and perform a pattern match and rewrite to switch to the Apache OpenOffice css and scripts. In a migration we would simply store the results of the svn to create the new HTML with the SSI. I agree with your proposal.

The more difficult layer is the creation of those SSI which mostly use branding mdtext that is really just header arguments. I suppose we could replace the structure somehow with a big JSON file (or one for each language/section) and then script that part to create the SSI.

Keep in mind that the site is some 9-10 GB. I built this structure initially and would be willing to play with it. Due to the size I would suggest keeping it in SVN to allow any language community to only have to deal with their part. I am loathe to create 100 Git Repositories.

Let’s start this after we finish moving Forum and Wiki VMs.

> For openoffice.apache.org we have everything in markdown and we could either keep the markdown and use a different tool, or, again, convert to HTML and keep the converted copy, but in this case we would have a maintainability loss.

I think that some of the suggestions made by Infra would work here. Many projects have a GitHub repository and are updated via pull requests.

If we have a volunteer here then this is where we start.

Regards,
Dave

> Regards,
>  Andrea.

Re: [discussion] unmaintained and unsupported Apache CMS

George Karalis
Hello,

Are you willing to change the openoffice.org site completely? We could use a static site generator like Jekyll, Middleman, Gatsby etc.(I have experience in these), so that the content can be provided from markdown files, and could be reason to change the design of the site to be more modern and user friendly. Having worked in the past at a creative agency, I have great knowledge of web technologies like react, angular, wordpress etc. I also have strong design skills using Sketch and Illustrator.

My initial idea was to work at OpenOffice’s UI(and branding like website, icons, logos etc.) since computer graphics and design are my expertise, but I thought that modernising the build system could help, in the long run, to setup a solid continuous integration system and iterate ideas and fixes as fast as possible, without hassle(IDE integration etc.).

So if you wish, I can also work at that, but maybe later, since I have already integrated the new MSVC compiler to the project and I have successfully built several modules and trying to fix errors on others.

Regards,
George