download from a mirror?

Jörg Schmidt-2
Hello,

Is there a reason that I can't find AOO anywhere on the mirrors?

http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi

Maybe it is just a technical problem that the directory openoffice/ is not synchronized on the mirrors?

greetings,
Jörg

Re: download from a mirror?

Marcus (OOo)
Am 21.07.2018 um 11:52 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:
> Is there a reason that I can't find AOO anywhere on the mirrors?
>
> http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi
>
> Maybe it is just a technical problem that the directory openoffice/ is not synchronized on the mirrors?

AFAIK and remember right, short after the move from Oracle to the ASF,
Apache and we have decided not to use the ASP mirror system as the size
of a single OpenOffice release is really big - and all releases together
are just insane big. We just don't wanted to risk complaints from the
sysadmins of the mirrors.

This is years ago and since then we use SourceForge as download hoster.

Marcus

RE: download from a mirror?

Jörg Schmidt-2

I was thinking something like that. We should make an effort in the longer term to change that.
(I don't mean to give up Sourceforge, but to create additional possibilities.)

Is there currently any alternative to Sourceforge for downloading?
(Because: The Apache mirror should not be used.)

greetings,
Jörg

Re: download from a mirror?

Andrea Pescetti-2
On 21/07/2018 Jörg Schmidt wrote:
> Is there currently any alternative to Sourceforge for downloading?
> (Because: The Apache mirror should not be used.)

ASF mirrors, with their current capabilities, should not be used for
downloads of the latest release due to disk space and bandwidth issues:
many mirrors do not replicate the OpenOffice tree due to its very large
size.

But the archive at https://archive.apache.org/ hosts binaries of recent
versions, including 4.1.5, with a delay of a few days after release.
Obviously the archive would have bandwidth issues too, so downloading
from there is still discouraged if one can get OpenOffice from our
official sources (SourceForge).

Regards,
   Andrea.

RE: download from a mirror?

Jörg Schmidt-2

That's absolutely clear, so I already wrote:

"(Because: The Apache mirror should not be used.)"

The problem with Sourceforge is the fact that the whole site is full of advertising. For me this is only a nuisance, for many users however a problem, because they are irritated.

Unfortunately it seems (in the past this was possible) no longer possible to provide a direct link to the AOO file directory at Sourceforge, _so that the download can be carried out without countdown and advertising_.

Greetings,
Jörg

RE: download from a mirror?

Jörg Schmidt-2

Yes, that's quite understandable.

But I was surprised that apparently not even a single mirror mirrors the üpenoffice/ directory. In the past there were many mirors offering OOo, I guess at least 20.

For me it is frustrating to see, for example, that OOo is present in the FTP directory of my former university:
ftp://ftp.tfh-wildau.de/pub/updates/OpenOffice/
but no AOO.

I think in the longer term we need to improve that.

Jörg

Re: download from a mirror?

Andrea Pescetti-2
Jörg Schmidt wrote:
> But I was surprised that apparently not even a single mirror mirrors the üpenoffice/ directory. In the past there were many mirors offering OOo, I guess at least 20.

In theory we have a mechanism for it:

http://www.apache.org/dyn/aoo-closer.cgi

but I don't think this is up-to-date now. With closer.cgi you would get
generic mirrors, with aoo-closer.cgi you would get mirrors that included
OpenOffice. But this doesn't seem to work any longer.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: download from a mirror?

Dave Fisher

> On Jul 23, 2018, at 12:37 PM, Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Jörg Schmidt wrote:
>> But I was surprised that apparently not even a single mirror mirrors the üpenoffice/ directory. In the past there were many mirors offering OOo, I guess at least 20.
>
> In theory we have a mechanism for it:
>
> http://www.apache.org/dyn/aoo-closer.cgi
>
> but I don't think this is up-to-date now. With closer.cgi you would get generic mirrors, with aoo-closer.cgi you would get mirrors that included OpenOffice. But this doesn't seem to work any longer.
The scripts for dist.apache.org/release that sync up Apache releases to the mirrors fully exclude the OpenOffice directory. We would need to discuss with the Apache infra team if we can resurrect a limited mirror distribution like we tried some 6 or 7 years ago when aoo-closer.cgi was first coded.

Regards,
Dave

> Regards,
>  Andrea.

> The scripts for dist.apache.org/release that sync up Apache
> releases to the mirrors fully exclude the OpenOffice
> directory. We would need to discuss with the Apache infra
> team if we can resurrect a limited mirror distribution like
> we tried some 6 or 7 years ago when aoo-closer.cgi was first coded.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand these organizational things. But yes, it would be good to talk about it, not immediately but in the future.

Apart from that, I may see some things more pragmatic, because I hadn't necessarily in mind that mirrors had to participate in the release of a new distribution from the first minute, but rather only that there are additional mirrors to create a little more redundancy. I must admit, I lack a bit of experience in organizing it.

greetings,
Jörg