drop ressources (stlport, maybe beanshell)

drop ressources (stlport, maybe beanshell)

Peter Kovacs-3
Hello all,

I would like to remove stlport from code. We already build without it,
and no one is using it. We have a Repository system for managing old
code. We do not need to carry stuff we do not use.

Another potential candidate to get Rid of is beanshell. I am looking
into it, the project moved to Apache Commons. I hope that it is still
there under a different name (beanUtil?)

Cleaning out stuff is important.

Any Objections?

Re: drop ressources (stlport, maybe beanshell)

Mechtilde Stehmann-2
Hello,

I want to brint to attention that we can use BEANSHELL for writing
Macros. This is one point beside Basic, Javascript and Python.

This shouldn't be cut.

Kind regards

Mechtilde

Am 25.04.20 um 03:50 schrieb Peter Kovacs:

> Hello all,
>

> I would like to remove stlport from code. We already build without it,
> and no one is using it. We have a Repository system for managing old
> code. We do not need to carry stuff we do not use.
>
> Another potential candidate to get Rid of is beanshell. I am looking
> into it, the project moved to Apache Commons. I hope that it is still
> there under a different name (beanUtil?)
>
> Cleaning out stuff is important.
>
> Any Objections?

Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice
## Debian Developer
## PGP encryption welcome

Re: drop ressources (stlport, maybe beanshell)

Peter Kovacs-3
Maybe I was not clear enough.

beanshell we use is unmaintained and very old.

A potential successor is in Apache-Commons. I am investigating.

Without a valid successor we will not drop. In doubt we have to adopt
and maintain.

But I dont thionk so. I already found the vote in Apache Common to
integrate beanshell.

I just could not find it, with my tomato eyes :)

Am 25.04.20 um 07:37 schrieb Mechtilde:

> Hello,
>
> I want to brint to attention that we can use BEANSHELL for writing
> Macros. This is one point beside Basic, Javascript and Python.
>
> This shouldn't be cut.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Mechtilde
>
> Am 25.04.20 um 03:50 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>> Hello all,
>>

>> I would like to remove stlport from code. We already build without it,
>> and no one is using it. We have a Repository system for managing old
>> code. We do not need to carry stuff we do not use.
>>
>> Another potential candidate to get Rid of is beanshell. I am looking
>> into it, the project moved to Apache Commons. I hope that it is still
>> there under a different name (beanUtil?)
>>
>> Cleaning out stuff is important.
>>
>> Any Objections?

Re: drop ressources (stlport, maybe beanshell)

Damjan Jovanovic

See https://github.com/beanshell/beanshell#history
BeanShell was apparently only proposed as an incubator project, it never
entered incubation. Its current home is that GitHub project.

Re: drop ressources (stlport, maybe beanshell)

Peter Kovacs-3
Okay, thanks Damjan.

I found the mail in Apache Commons and some other mentions.

So I think I got confused.

Am 25.04.20 um 08:42 schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:

> On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 3:50 AM Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Another potential candidate to get Rid of is beanshell. I am looking
>> into it, the project moved to Apache Commons. I hope that it is still
>> there under a different name (beanUtil?)
>>

> See https://github.com/beanshell/beanshell#history
> BeanShell was apparently only proposed as an incubator project, it never
> entered incubation. Its current home is that GitHub project.

Re: drop ressources (stlport, maybe beanshell)

Pedro Giffuni
Hi guys;

FWIW, I am involved in beanshell in my spare time, which is not plenty
lately. As mentioned previously it is in github now and a much improved
version will be released one day (no ETA).

While looking for candidates to remove stuff, consider stax. It is
included in Java since JDK5.

Pedro.

Re: drop ressources (stlport, maybe beanshell)

Peter Kovacs-3
I have seen you on the repository of beanshell. I stared the project now
and fully watching it. It is all I can do for now. But if there is
something I send in patches.

So far no objections for STLPORT removal.  -> STLPORT is still on.

Beanshell is still an own Project -> BEANSHELL is off.

I open up a new discussion for removal of stax.

Thanks Pedro, very much appreciated.

Am 26.04.20 um 04:33 schrieb Pedro Giffuni:

> Hi guys;
>
> FWIW, I am involved in beanshell in my spare time, which is not plenty
> lately. As mentioned previously it is in github now and a much improved
> version will be released one day (no ETA).
>
> While looking for candidates to remove stuff, consider stax. It is
> included in Java since JDK5.
>
> Pedro.

Remove of STAX and SAXON

Peter Kovacs-3
Hello everyone,

Pedro hinted STAX can be dropped, and STAX reference is only in the
dependency of SAXON.

I would like to add SAXON to the removal list. Since to my research no
other module references SAXON as a dependency, and we have LIBXSLT in
the stomach.

So I think Saxon is obsolete.

Any Objections? - Your opinion on the topic is welcome.

Am 26.04.20 um 04:33 schrieb Pedro Giffuni:
> While looking for candidates to remove stuff, consider stax. It is
> included in Java since JDK5.

Re: Remove of STAX and SAXON

Damjan Jovanovic
On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 7:30 AM Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Pedro hinted STAX can be dropped, and STAX reference is only in the
> dependency of SAXON.
>
> I would like to add SAXON to the removal list. Since to my research no
> other module references SAXON as a dependency, and we have LIBXSLT in
> the stomach.
>
> So I think Saxon is obsolete.

main/filter also uses saxon:

$ grep saxon */prj/build.lst
filter/prj/build.lst:fl      filter  :    L10N:l10n svtools unotools xmloff
cppu tools cppuhelper sal svx javaunohelper jvmaccess canvas SAXON:saxon
LIBXSLT:libxslt basegfx NULL
saxon/prj/build.lst:xx saxon : solenv stax NULL
saxon/prj/build.lst:xx saxon nmake - all xx_saxon NULL

Re: drop ressources (stlport, maybe beanshell)

Marcus (OOo)
Am 25.04.20 um 03:50 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
> I would like to remove stlport from code. We already build without it,
> and no one is using it. We have a Repository system for managing old
> code. We do not need to carry stuff we do not use.
>
> Another potential candidate to get Rid of is beanshell. I am looking
> into it, the project moved to Apache Commons. I hope that it is still
> there under a different name (beanUtil?)
>
> Cleaning out stuff is important.

right.

Howeverr, when you write for which the ressources are used it would be
easier to judge if it can be really dropped or not.

Thanks

Marcus

Re: drop ressources (stlport, maybe beanshell)

Peter Kovacs-3
Hi Markus,

Please understand that I assume a per default some resistance towards
change. I see it as feature not as failure, we are a bit conservative
for a reason.

But as a reaction I save my time a bit, where I think it is a waste.

So which Information do you exactly need?

My Current status:

STLPort is still considered ->  I see no counter arguments to wards
removal from code, it will stay in the repository. I am fine with a tag
if that helps. I want to write a proposal in may.

BEANSHELL is canceled, because my understand that it moved into Apache
Common is wrong.

STAX is still considered, because it is now part of a JDK. Therefor the
work includes to ensure that all Calls point to the JDK delivered Stax
and still work. Hope fully May.

SAXON is undecided on my end. I overlooked the dependency to filter (a
error in my dependency overview). I am not sure if I really want to
migrate to libXML2, which needs to be done in order to make Saxon obsolete.

On the other hand we should investigate to update Saxon to version 10.
So I am not sure which way is better. Especially since I would like to
move away from libXML2 in long term. I am in favor of Apache Xerxes,
which is a more natural partner for us. And I have an Idea how filter
should evolve. But all this are other stories.

All the Best

Peter

Am 29.04.20 um 12:13 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
> Please understand that I assume a per default some resistance towards
> change. I see it as feature not as failure, we are a bit conservative
> for a reason.
>
> But as a reaction I save my time a bit, where I think it is a waste.

I don't understand what you want to tell me here as this is out of context.

> So which Information do you exactly need?

Actually I cannot really help here as I'm not a developer. However I
would think that it is helping more to tell some more background of the
potential removal candidate. Thats all. ;-)

Thanks

Marcus

> Am 29.04.20 um 00:56 schrieb Marcus:
>
>> Am 25.04.20 um 03:50 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>>> I would like to remove stlport from code. We already build without
>>> it, and no one is using it. We have a Repository system for managing
>>> old code. We do not need to carry stuff we do not use.
>>>
>>> Another potential candidate to get Rid of is beanshell. I am looking
>>> into it, the project moved to Apache Commons. I hope that it is still
>>> there under a different name (beanUtil?)
>>>
>>> Cleaning out stuff is important.
>>
>> right.
>>
>> Howeverr, when you write for which the ressources are used it would be
>> easier to judge if it can be really dropped or not.

Re: drop ressources (stlport, maybe beanshell)

Peter Kovacs-3
I just wanted to say in a complicated way that I told what I knew. And I
don't think it is worth to do a lot of research to convince others.

Am 30.04.20 um 00:41 schrieb Marcus:

> Am 29.04.20 um 12:13 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>> Please understand that I assume a per default some resistance towards
>> change. I see it as feature not as failure, we are a bit conservative
>> for a reason.
>>
>> But as a reaction I save my time a bit, where I think it is a waste.
>
> I don't understand what you want to tell me here as this is out of
> context.
>
>> So which Information do you exactly need?
>
> Actually I cannot really help here as I'm not a developer. However I
> would think that it is helping more to tell some more background of
> the potential removal candidate. Thats all. ;-)
>
> Thanks
>
> Marcus

>>> right.
>>>
>>> Howeverr, when you write for which the ressources are used it would
>>> be easier to judge if it can be really dropped or not.

Re: drop ressources (stlport, maybe beanshell)

Dave Fisher-2
Were you looking for Apache Commons BSF?

http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-bsf/

> On Apr 24, 2020, at 6:50 PM, Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>

> I would like to remove stlport from code. We already build without it, and no one is using it. We have a Repository system for managing old code. We do not need to carry stuff we do not use.
>
> Another potential candidate to get Rid of is beanshell. I am looking into it, the project moved to Apache Commons. I hope that it is still there under a different name (beanUtil?)
>
> Cleaning out stuff is important.
>
> Any Objections?

Re: drop ressources (stlport, maybe beanshell)

Peter Kovacs-3
yes kind of. I have seeb BeanUtil and maybe BSF (I am not sure) and I
thought those were successor with the project.

But it quickly turned out it has been a misunderstanding on my side.

BSF supplies a nice vierity of Scripting Languages. Maybe it is good to
keep it in mind for later. As an option, if wwe want to do something fancy.

New Feature stuff you know.