early version

Sandy Shapiro
I have files created under an early version of Open Office that I cannot
open under the current version. The file indicates it is in Windows 97
(.doc) format. Is there any way to read these files?

Thanks.

Re: early version

Martin Groenescheij

On 02/06/17 9:53 AM, Sandy Shapiro wrote:
> I have files created under an early version of Open Office that I
> cannot open under the current version. The file indicates it is in
> Windows 97 (.doc) format. Is there any way to read these files?

If the file was created with OpenOffice I expected that the file type
should be .odt if you have saved it as a MS Office file .doc OpenOffice
should still be able to open it.
If on the other hand you haven't created the file yourself then you
should be aware that some historical documents may use the .doc
extension for plain-text file format.
The .doc extension was also used in historical versions of WordPerfect
for its proprietary format.

And by the way Windows 97 is only an Operating System and has nothing to
do with the actual format of the file extension.

> Thanks.

Don

Re: early version

Don
On 6/1/2017 9:46 PM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:

> On 02/06/17 9:53 AM, Sandy Shapiro wrote:
>> I have files created under an early version of Open Office that I
>> cannot open under the current version. The file indicates it is in
>> Windows 97 (.doc) format. Is there any way to read these files?
>
> If the file was created with OpenOffice I expected that the file type
> should be .odt if you have saved it as a MS Office file .doc
> OpenOffice should still be able to open it.
> If on the other hand you haven't created the file yourself then you
> should be aware that some historical documents may use the .doc
> extension for plain-text file format.
> The .doc extension was also used in historical versions of WordPerfect
> for its proprietary format.
>
> And by the way Windows 97 is only an Operating System and has nothing
> to do with the actual format of the file extension.

Windows 98 was an OS.  The OP probably means Microsoft Office 97.

>> Thanks.

> .

Re: early version

James Knott
On 06/01/2017 09:46 PM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
> If the file was created with OpenOffice I expected that the file type
> should be .odt if you have saved it as a MS Office file .doc
> OpenOffice should still be able to open it.

Of course, it could be the old OpenOffice/Star Office .swx format, which
the current OO should be able to read.

Re: early version

Sandy Shapiro

On 6/1/2017 6:46 PM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:

> On 02/06/17 9:53 AM, Sandy Shapiro wrote:
>> I have files created under an early version of Open Office that I
>> cannot open under the current version. The file indicates it is in
>> Windows 97 (.doc) format. Is there any way to read these files?
>
> If the file was created with OpenOffice I expected that the file type
> should be .odt if you have saved it as a MS Office file .doc
> OpenOffice should still be able to open it.
> If on the other hand you haven't created the file yourself then you
> should be aware that some historical documents may use the .doc
> extension for plain-text file format.
> The .doc extension was also used in historical versions of WordPerfect
> for its proprietary format.
The file was created under Open Office and "saved as" a Microsoft Word
file. It may have been when I was using Open Office under OS/2.

> And by the way Windows 97 is only an Operating System and has nothing
> to do with the actual format of the file extension.
>

>> Thanks.

> .

Thanks,
Sandy

---

Re: early version

Martin Groenescheij

On 02/06/17 12:40 PM, Sanford Shapiro wrote:

> On 6/1/2017 6:46 PM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>>

>> On 02/06/17 9:53 AM, Sandy Shapiro wrote:
>>> I have files created under an early version of Open Office that I
>>> cannot open under the current version. The file indicates it is in
>>> Windows 97 (.doc) format. Is there any way to read these files?
>>
>> If the file was created with OpenOffice I expected that the file type
>> should be .odt if you have saved it as a MS Office file .doc
>> OpenOffice should still be able to open it.
>> If on the other hand you haven't created the file yourself then you
>> should be aware that some historical documents may use the .doc
>> extension for plain-text file format.
>> The .doc extension was also used in historical versions of
>> WordPerfect for its proprietary format.
> The file was created under Open Office and "saved as" a Microsoft Word
> file. It may have been when I was using Open Office under OS/2.

OpenOffice under OS/2 saves in the same format as under Linux, Windows,
Mac and whatever Operating System is around for decades.
That's the beauty of Open Document Format.
Only the older StarOffice formats are different and can't be opened with
OpenOffice version 4 and higher.

>> And by the way Windows 97 is only an Operating System and has nothing
>> to do with the actual format of the file extension.
>>

>>> Thanks.

>> .
>>
> Thanks,
> Sandy
>
> ---

Re: early version

Martin Groenescheij

On 02/06/17 12:20 PM, James Knott wrote:
> On 06/01/2017 09:46 PM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>> If the file was created with OpenOffice I expected that the file type
>> should be .odt if you have saved it as a MS Office file .doc
>> OpenOffice should still be able to open it.
> Of course, it could be the old OpenOffice/Star Office .swx format, which
> the current OO should be able to read.

 From the 4.0 Release Notes:

    Changes that Impact Backwards Compatibility

      Module binfilter removed

We no longer read or write the legacy StarOffice file formats (files
with extensions .sdw, .sdc, .sdd, etc.).  Removal of this code makes the
OpenOffice codebase easier to maintain.  The legacy formats have never
been the default format in any version of OpenOffice.  Users with legacy
StarOffice documents are advised to re-save them into ODF format (*.odt,
*.ods, *.odp, etc.) *before upgrading* to Apache OpenOffice 4.0. This
can be done using File - Wizards - Document Converter in OpenOffice 3.x
OpenOffice 1.x files (*.sxw, *.sxc, *.sxi) are still supported.

Re: early version

Sandy Shapiro

On 6/1/2017 9:08 PM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:

> On 02/06/17 12:20 PM, James Knott wrote:
>> On 06/01/2017 09:46 PM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>>> If the file was created with OpenOffice I expected that the file type
>>> should be .odt if you have saved it as a MS Office file .doc
>>> OpenOffice should still be able to open it.
>> Of course, it could be the old OpenOffice/Star Office .swx format, which
>> the current OO should be able to read.
>
> From the 4.0 Release Notes:
>

>    Changes that Impact Backwards Compatibility
>

>      Module binfilter removed
>
> We no longer read or write the legacy StarOffice file formats (files
> with extensions .sdw, .sdc, .sdd, etc.).  Removal of this code makes
> the OpenOffice codebase easier to maintain.  The legacy formats have
> never been the default format in any version of OpenOffice.  Users
> with legacy StarOffice documents are advised to re-save them into ODF
> format (*.odt, *.ods, *.odp, etc.) *before upgrading* to Apache
> OpenOffice 4.0. This can be done using File - Wizards - Document
> Converter in OpenOffice 3.x OpenOffice 1.x files (*.sxw, *.sxc, *.sxi)
> are still supported.

Thanks, Martin,

It looks like somewhere along the way I blew it.

Sandy

---

Re: early version

toki
On 06/02/2017 04:45 AM, Sanford Shapiro wrote:

> It looks like somewhere along the way I blew it.

Not really.
When the ability to read/write the OOo 1.x was dropped, an extension
that would enable AOo to read, and maybe write those file formats was
supposed to have been released.

FWIW, LibO 5.x can read those file formats.

jonathon

Re: early version

Andrea Pescetti-2
toki wrote:
> When the ability to read/write the OOo 1.x was dropped, an extension
> that would enable AOo to read, and maybe write those file formats was
> supposed to have been released.

Actually, as reported by Martin earlier in this thread, OpenOffice 1.x
files (*.sxw, *.sxc, *.sxi) are still supported.

Regards,
   Andrea.