excel

Rachael Buckley
hi, i downloaded the software but can't find excel or word on my computer under open office. all i have is base, calc, math, etc.
did i do something wrong? i was told that this software would allow me to use excel.

thx.

Rachael Buckley
916.947.3448

---------------------------------

Re: excel

Markus Frei
OpenOffice is not excel or word, those are M$ stuff. The OpenOffice
improvement to excel is called Calc, and the OpenOffice improvement to word
is called Writer, etc....

Am Montag, 14. November 2005 22.37 schrieb Rachael Buckley:

> hi, i downloaded the software but can't find excel or word on my computer
> under open office. all i have is base, calc, math, etc. did i do something
> wrong? i was told that this software would allow me to use excel.
>
> thx.
>

> Rachael Buckley
> 916.947.3448

Re: excel

Dan Lewis-6
On Monday 14 November 2005 03:37 pm, Rachael Buckley wrote:
> hi, i downloaded the software but can't find excel or word on my computer
> under open office. all i have is base, calc, math, etc. did i do something
> wrong? i was told that this software would allow me to use excel.
>
> thx.
>

> Rachael Buckley
> 916.947.3448

     You did nothing wrong. Excel and Word are MS Office programs. Excel is MS
Office's spreadsheet. Word is its word processor. PowerPoint is its
presentation program (slide show creator).
     OpenOffice.org (OOo) has its own names for its programs. Base is OOo's
database, Calc is its spreadsheet, Math is its Formula editor, Impress is its
presentation program, and Writer is its word processor.
     OOo had the ability to open Excel files, modify them, and then save them
in Excel's format. There are some differences between Excel and Calc. I
suggest you go to this link and download some of the manuals which will help
you to understand how to use OOo:
http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html.
     The Migration Guide might be what you want if you know how to use Excel
rather well. If not, the Getting Started Guide should be a great help.

Dan

Re: excel

Gregory Forster
That's because Word and Excel aren't on there.  Word and Excel are
Microsoft products.  Word and Excel are not OpenOffice products.
OpenOffice 2.0 can read, write save and save as default Microsoft Word,
Excel and Powerpoint. The OpenOffice version of Microsoft Excel is
called Calc.  The OpenOffice version of Microsoft Word is called
Writer.  The OpenOffice version of Microsoft Powerpoint is called Impress.

Greg