find in filtered data

sudha bharathan-2
Hi

Tried Find option to find a particular word from a filtered data.
But it finds from cells that are not in the filtered data .I chose " current selection only" but still it doesnt work.Though "find all" highlights the sentences,I am unable to go to the next option like in excel as the find goes to the cells which are not in the selection .How do we restrict the find to the filtered data only?

Regards

Sudha

Re: Find in filtered data

Brian Barker-2
At 11:22 15/03/2019 +0530, Sudha Bharathan wrote:
>Tried Find option to find a particular word from a filtered data.
>But it finds from cells that are not in the filtered data.

Indeed: Find & Replace searches in all relevant cells, including any
hidden ones in the range.

>I chose "current selection only" but still it doesn't work.

Again, Find & Replace treats the selection as including hidden cells.

>How do we restrict the find to the filtered data only?

I don't think there is any simple way to do this.

(Whatever was in your image didn't make it through for anyone to see.)

But there are workarounds:

o Instead of filtering, construct a new column that uses a formula
that selects the same values from the range (and results in some
out-of-range value, such as zero or blank or null, for other values),
and then carry out your search on that column. Copy modified values
back if necessary.

o Apply your filter and then copy the range and paste it into another
column - either with the filter still in place or after removing it.
This will copy only the visible values. Search on the new column.
Copy modified values back if necessary.

o Applying a different cell style to a filtered range also affects
only visible cells. You may be able to make use of that. (But you
cannot restrict Find to a particular cell style, it seems.)

o As always, there will inevitably be alternative ways to construct
your problem to work around the necessity to do what you are attempting.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker