gstreamer

Jim Jagielski
I think there was general consensus to make gstreamer
a external download dependency. As of this date, this
has not yet been folded in. Who can take point on that?

Re: gstreamer

Damjan Jovanovic
Why? The licence for GStreamer is LGPL, which is Category X.

Damjan

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 4:25 PM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think there was general consensus to make gstreamer
> a external download dependency. As of this date, this
> has not yet been folded in. Who can take point on that?

Re: gstreamer

Jim Jagielski
All this was discussed in:

 https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/83231a4ff938cdd14c19a01d4ae4f8d185ff7a94e0fc7d47a3b1b7f6@%3Cdev.openoffice.apache.org%3E

I don't recall you bringing all this up there.

> On Mar 14, 2018, at 12:03 PM, Damjan Jovanovic <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Why? The licence for GStreamer is LGPL, which is Category X.
>
> Damjan
>

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 4:25 PM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I think there was general consensus to make gstreamer
>> a external download dependency. As of this date, this
>> has not yet been folded in. Who can take point on that?

Re: gstreamer

Damjan Jovanovic
I thought the "external download dependency" you were talking about, meant
distribution of GStreamer with an AOO release, which is not allowed.

Building against GStreamer header files, and then only linking to the
GStreamer libraries on the end user's system, if present, sounds allowed
("Can Apache projects rely on components under prohibited licenses" on
https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html)

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 7:22 PM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All this was discussed in:
>
>  https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/83231a4ff938cdd14c19a01d4ae4f8
> d185ff7a94e0fc7d47a3b1b7f6@%3Cdev.openoffice.apache.org%3E
>
> I don't recall you bringing all this up there.
>
> > On Mar 14, 2018, at 12:03 PM, Damjan Jovanovic <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Why? The licence for GStreamer is LGPL, which is Category X.
> >
> > Damjan
> >

> > On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 4:25 PM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I think there was general consensus to make gstreamer
> >> a external download dependency. As of this date, this
> >> has not yet been folded in. Who can take point on that?

Re: gstreamer

Peter Kovacs-2
I thought we do not bundle it, but internally provide for build convenience.

Am 14. März 2018 19:13:19 MEZ schrieb Damjan Jovanovic <[hidden email]>:

>I thought the "external download dependency" you were talking about,
>meant
>distribution of GStreamer with an AOO release, which is not allowed.
>
>Building against GStreamer header files, and then only linking to the
>GStreamer libraries on the end user's system, if present, sounds
>allowed
>("Can Apache projects rely on components under prohibited licenses" on
>https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html)
>

>On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 7:22 PM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> All this was discussed in:
>>
>>  https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/83231a4ff938cdd14c19a01d4ae4f8
>> d185ff7a94e0fc7d47a3b1b7f6@%3Cdev.openoffice.apache.org%3E
>>
>> I don't recall you bringing all this up there.
>>
>> > On Mar 14, 2018, at 12:03 PM, Damjan Jovanovic <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Why? The licence for GStreamer is LGPL, which is Category X.
>> >
>> > Damjan

Re: gstreamer

Jim Jagielski
Yes, that was my thought as well... We do not bundle it, but
our build system allows for it to be downloaded and built during
the whole build process, just as we do w/ loads of other
dependencies.

As long as we don't bundle it, and as long as it is not a *hard*
dependency, it's not an issue.