help, I want to creato a project of client application to add-on in Netbeans.

help, I want to creato a project of client application to add-on in Netbeans.

Daniel Alvaro
Hello guys,
I have a problem  with a project in  Netbeans 7.2.1 in windows.
I'm creating a example extension in Developer's Guide:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/FirstSteps/Common_Mechanisms_for_Text,_Tables_and_Drawings
I know that this project is for Client application but i want to create it
with add-on, I made the skeleton and I  put the code of newDocComponent in
the space of: add your own code here but I dont know if want to create a
classe to put the other codes or  put it in  my skeleton.

I hope your help.
Regards,
Daniel Alvaro

Re: help, I want to creato a project of client application to add-on in Netbeans.

Ariel Constenla-Haile-2
Hi Daniel,

On Sun, Feb 03, 2013 at 01:01:08PM -0600, jdaniel.alvaro wrote:
> Hello guys,
> I have a problem  with a project in  Netbeans 7.2.1 in windows.
> I'm creating a example extension in Developer's Guide:
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/FirstSteps/Common_Mechanisms_for_Text,_Tables_and_Drawings
> I know that this project is for Client application but i want to create it
> with add-on, I made the skeleton and I  put the code of newDocComponent in
> the space of: add your own code here but I dont know if want to create a
> classe to put the other codes or  put it in  my skeleton.

There are several "// add your own code here", where are you adding your
code? I guess it is in the css.frame.XDispatch.dispatch implemenatation,
am I right?

The approach you are taking may not be the best one to learn how
extensions work. In the case of an AddOn created with the NetBeans
wizards, you add some commands in the user interface, and you implement
a ProtolHandler, a UNO component that handles these commands. Simply
copying and pasting the example from the FirstSteps in the add-on
skeleton won't help you to understand what's going here. You will have
to understand what a ProtocolHandler is:

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/WritingUNO/Protocol_Handler

As you see the subject is complex, so the question is in which step are
you right now, are you still learning the basics (API and UNO concepts)?
or are you ready to dive into the complexity of writing UNO components?

If the first one, I'd suggest you get used to the API and UNO concepts
looking at the code in the Developer's Guide with client applications;
these simple examples connect to OpenOffice, create a new document, and
do something with this document.

If you are ready to study UNO components, I'd suggest you start with
a dummy ProtocolHandler that simply shows a message box when the user
clicks a toolbar item or selects a menu item. This is the most basic
example, included in the SDK under
examples/DevelopersGuide/Components/Addons/ProtocolHandlerAddon_java

I've seen there are other guys from Mexico in the api and dev mailing
lists. It might be helpful to coordinate some sort of "Getting Started"
using not only the mailing lists, but the IRC channels and other more
interesting media, like Google Plus Hangouts, etc.

Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina