how to save docs 4-to-page

bikefun2005
Hello, I'm attempting to use Writer to save a letter-sized doc (a poster)
as the same image, but four-to-a-page, where the formerly (8.5" x 11"
format) image is repeated four times on a page.  I don't have access to a
printer where I use OpenOffice, and I don't have access to OpenOffice
where I use a printer, thus the need to save the poster as a 1/4-page
flier.  Also, I'll be sending the image to others to print, and have
noticed that not every printer is capable of 4-up printing.  I would also
be happy with a means of saving the page as a four-to-page .pdf document.

How is this done?  I've seen a suggestion on the list to use File > New >
Label and then choose a postcard, but I couldn't find a postcard with the
same dimensions as letter-sized paper (8.5" x 11").

All of the suggestions I've seen in the Help system are for printing, but
I'll need to save a doc this way (four-to-page).

Much appreciated!

  <:Brian:>

Re: how to save docs 4-to-page

G. Roderick Singleton-2
On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 01:39 -0800, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hello, I'm attempting to use Writer to save a letter-sized doc (a poster)
> as the same image, but four-to-a-page, where the formerly (8.5" x 11"
> format) image is repeated four times on a page.  I don't have access to a
> printer where I use OpenOffice, and I don't have access to OpenOffice
> where I use a printer, thus the need to save the poster as a 1/4-page
> flier.  Also, I'll be sending the image to others to print, and have
> noticed that not every printer is capable of 4-up printing.  I would also
> be happy with a means of saving the page as a four-to-page .pdf document.
>
> How is this done?  I've seen a suggestion on the list to use File > New >
> Label and then choose a postcard, but I couldn't find a postcard with the
> same dimensions as letter-sized paper (8.5" x 11").
>
> All of the suggestions I've seen in the Help system are for printing, but
> I'll need to save a doc this way (four-to-page).

I am not certain I grasp exactly what you want but I will take a stab.
If you want an 11x17 tabloid page to contain 4 letter size pages then I
suggest you simply build the page that way. If what you want is 4 pages
on one letter page, use print preview and save the output to a file
(.ps) and then use a postscript to pdf converter for the final output.
One such converter is ps2pdf and is available for most OSes.
--
PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead

Re: how to save docs 4-to-page

bikefun2005
 G. Roderick Singleton wrote:

> I am not certain I grasp exactly what you want but I will take a stab.
> If you want an 11x17 tabloid page to contain 4 letter size pages then I
> suggest you simply build the page that way. If what you want is 4 pages
> on one letter page, use print preview and save the output to a file
> (.ps) and then use a postscript to pdf converter for the final output.
> One such converter is ps2pdf and is available for most OSes.

Yes, in fact I am trying to change a document currently in 8.5 x 11 format
and save it again in 8.5 x 11 format but with four of the image (one in
each quarter of the page) instead of one.  A four-up flyer, instead of a
poster.  Is there no way to do this in the edit screen, saving the new
file without additional software?  For example, shrinking the image to 25%
size and copying it three more times onto the page?

I appreciated the suggestion and I'll try it.

   <:Brian:>

Re: how to save docs 4-to-page

ldy2002
You may want to try this free pdf converter. It has options to print 1 page
per sheet to 16 pages per sheet.

http://www.primopdf.com

>> I am not certain I grasp exactly what you want but I will take a stab.
>> If you want an 11x17 tabloid page to contain 4 letter size pages then I
>> suggest you simply build the page that way. If what you want is 4 pages
>> on one letter page, use print preview and save the output to a file
>> (.ps) and then use a postscript to pdf converter for the final output.
>> One such converter is ps2pdf and is available for most OSes.
>
> Yes, in fact I am trying to change a document currently in 8.5 x 11 format
> and save it again in 8.5 x 11 format but with four of the image (one in
> each quarter of the page) instead of one.  A four-up flyer, instead of a
> poster.  Is there no way to do this in the edit screen, saving the new
> file without additional software?  For example, shrinking the image to 25%
> size and copying it three more times onto the page?
>
> I appreciated the suggestion and I'll try it.
>
>   <:Brian:>

Re: how to save docs 4-to-page

Anthony Chilco
Hi Brian,
No scaling is necessary. Copy your page three times, so the document has
four of them. Print preview and select 'print options page view'. Set
the distribution to two rows and two columns. Click 'Print page view'.
You may not see four on a page in the preview, but that's what you'll get.
tc

[hidden email] wrote:

> G. Roderick Singleton wrote:
>

>>I am not certain I grasp exactly what you want but I will take a stab.
>>If you want an 11x17 tabloid page to contain 4 letter size pages then I
>>suggest you simply build the page that way. If what you want is 4 pages
>>on one letter page, use print preview and save the output to a file
>>(.ps) and then use a postscript to pdf converter for the final output.
>>One such converter is ps2pdf and is available for most OSes.
>>

>Yes, in fact I am trying to change a document currently in 8.5 x 11 format
>and save it again in 8.5 x 11 format but with four of the image (one in
>each quarter of the page) instead of one.  A four-up flyer, instead of a
>poster.  Is there no way to do this in the edit screen, saving the new
>file without additional software?  For example, shrinking the image to 25%
>size and copying it three more times onto the page?
>
>I appreciated the suggestion and I'll try it.
>
>   <:Brian:>

Re: how to save docs 4-to-page

EJones-2
On or about 11/22/2005 1:51 AM, ldy2002 penned the following:

> You may want to try this free pdf converter. It has options to print 1
> page per sheet to 16 pages per sheet.
>
> http://www.primopdf.com
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: <[hidden email]>

Not free, but they work great -- check the products at:
http://www.fineprint.com/

--
Ed