hunspell in windows?

Gulliver7
Hi.  Sorry if this is a basic question, but is it
possible to use the Hunspell tools to create dic/aff
files in Windows?  If so, might someone help me
through the setup process (I'm not a programmer and
compiling sounds scary.)  Thanks.

Re: hunspell in windows?

ge-7
On Saturday 23 September 2006 07:40 pm, Robert Pontisso wrote:
> Hi.  Sorry if this is a basic question, but is it
> possible to use the Hunspell tools to create dic/aff
> files in Windows?  If so, might someone help me
> through the setup process (I'm not a programmer and
> compiling sounds scary.)  Thanks.

Basically: not. They are created manually or by individual tools for
each language.
You can find the relevant information, how to create a dictionary here:
http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/dictionary.html

Regards: Eleonora

Re: hunspell in windows?

Gulliver7
--- ge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Saturday 23 September 2006 07:40 pm, Robert
> Pontisso wrote:
> > Hi.  Sorry if this is a basic question, but is it
> > possible to use the Hunspell tools to create
> dic/aff
> > files in Windows?  If so, might someone help me
> > through the setup process (I'm not a programmer
> and
> > compiling sounds scary.)  Thanks.
>
> Basically: not. They are created manually or by
> individual tools for
> each language.
> You can find the relevant information, how to create
> a dictionary here:
> http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/dictionary.html
>
> Regards: Eleonora

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I've looked at that page,
but the instructions at "Download and test your affix
file and dictionary using the Hunspell stand-alone
realease" doens't say much, and when I downloaded the
stand-alone release I couldn't see how to get it to
work in Windows.  I know how to make simple aff and
dic files, but I would like to use Hunspells tools to
generate and test them.  I've done so in Windows with
Myspell -- is it possible in Windows with Hunspell?  Thanks.

Re: hunspell in windows?

ge-7
On Sunday 24 September 2006 05:09 am, Robert Pontisso wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I've looked at that page,
> but the instructions at "Download and test your affix
> file and dictionary using the Hunspell stand-alone
> realease" doens't say much, and when I downloaded the
> stand-alone release I couldn't see how to get it to
> work in Windows.  I know how to make simple aff and
> dic files, but I would like to use Hunspells tools to
> generate and test them.  I've done so in Windows with
> Myspell -- is it possible in Windows with Hunspell?  Thanks.

Robert,
hunspell sources are provided in sourceforge. I compiled them
years ago on windows, and it was possible with little modifications.
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=143754&package_id=157912&release_id=390292

There is an email list, where Timar Andras compiles hunspell
regularly
https://lists.sch.bme.hu/wws
try to join the list and ask him for an on windows  compiled version of
hunspell.

Tools:
please specify, which tools are you interested in? Then I could
check for you, where they are.

Regards, Eleonora

Re: hunspell in windows?

Marcin Miłkowski
Hi Robert,

> Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I've looked at that page,
> but the instructions at "Download and test your affix
> file and dictionary using the Hunspell stand-alone
> realease" doens't say much, and when I downloaded the
> stand-alone release I couldn't see how to get it to
> work in Windows.  I know how to make simple aff and
> dic files, but I would like to use Hunspells tools to
> generate and test them.  I've done so in Windows with
> Myspell -- is it possible in Windows with Hunspell?  Thanks.

You can easily compile hunspell under Cygwin in Windows. No
modifications are necessary, it works out of the box, simply download
all necessary libs, say .configure, and make. Works for me.

Regards,
Marcin

Re: hunspell in windows?

Gulliver7
Hi Marcin,

--- Marcin Miłkowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can easily compile hunspell under Cygwin in
> Windows. No
> modifications are necessary, it works out of the
> box, simply download
> all necessary libs, say .configure, and make. Works
> for me.

Thanks for putting me on to Cygwin.  I've tried to run
/.configure, but in the end I got this message:

configure:2052: error: C++ compiler cannot create
executables
See config.log for details

I've taken a look at the log file, but I don't know
what I'm looking for.

As for downloading "the necessary libs", the install
file mentions "glibc-devel", and among those offered
by Cygwin the closest I could find was "glib-devel" so
I included that.  Do I need others?

Thanks for your help.

Robert

Re: hunspell in windows?

Gulliver7
--- Robert Pontisso <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for putting me on to Cygwin.  I've tried to
> run
> /.configure, but in the end I got this message:
>
> configure:2052: error: C++ compiler cannot create
> executables
> See config.log for details

Never mind, I figured out I needed the basics: GCC and
Make.  Like I said at the start, I'm not a
programmer...

Now the fun begins.

Thanks

Re: hunspell in windows?

Marcin Miłkowski
Hi Robert,

> Never mind, I figured out I needed the basics: GCC and
> Make.  Like I said at the start, I'm not a
> programmer...

You'll need ncurses as well to run hunspell effectively. It could
compile without ncurses but it's quite difficult to use it then.

> Now the fun begins.

Right :)

Best,
Marcin