import endnote entries to openoffice 2.0 bibliography?

import endnote entries to openoffice 2.0 bibliography?

Matthias Leonhardt
hi,

I have an existing endnote library (Endnote 9.0) and want to import all
the bibliography entries to my OpenOffice 2.0 document. I want to use
the integrated bibliography database of OpenOffice 2.0.
Is there any tool to get this working?

Thanks for Your help!

kind regards,
Matthias Leonhardt
http://www.happyarts.de

RE: import endnote entries to openoffice 2.0 bibliography?

Dennis Freshwater-2
Not sure if there is a tool for the native OpenOffice bib database, but
there is cetainly an excellent free reference manager program called Bibus
which will integrate with OpenOffice Writer (and Word if you need it to), in
much the same way that Endnote will, and is far better than the current
native database.  It will also import your Endnote references. There are
versions for both Linux and Windows.

You can check it out at http://bibus-biblio.sourceforge.net to see if it is
suitable for your needs.

Best wishes,

Dennis

Re: import endnote entries to openoffice 2.0 bibliography?

Bruce D'Arcus
On 9/9/06, Dennis Freshwater <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not sure if there is a tool for the native OpenOffice bib database, but
> there is cetainly an excellent free reference manager program called Bibus
> which will integrate with OpenOffice Writer (and Word if you need it to), in
> much the same way that Endnote will, and is far better than the current
> native database.  It will also import your Endnote references.

One obvious caveat, though, is that Bibus has the same limited data
model as the native db. So you might lose data, since Endnote has a
richer model. Doesn't matter if all you cite is books and journal
articles though.

FWIW, there's a new Firefox extension that will be in public beta soon
called Zotero. This is going to be an Endnote-killer. Just have to
figure out how to help them interact more easily with OOo.

Bruce

Re: import endnote entries to openoffice 2.0 bibliography? + location of the bibliography DB

Matthias Leonhardt
Hi Dennis,

> You can check it out at http://bibus-biblio.sourceforge.net to see if it is
> suitable for your needs.
thanks for the hint - I will check this out.

I think the separation between the global Bibliography (was difficult to
find in the settings, where this DB is located!) and the integrated
Bibliography-Item is confusing. I think the grid-layout (which seems to
be only available with the global Bibliography) would also be nice in
the integrated bibliography (which is saved with the document). I
figured out that the global Database called Bibliography is used as
global bibliography in the writer documents and where it is stored but I
think, it would be better when this is configurable for every document.
In the documentation there is no hint where to find the global
bibliography and how to copy it to an other computer (or make a backup
of it) so the user can upgrade his citations after transfering his
document (*.odt) to another computer.

I think there is much to do for the future OoO-Versions at this issues...

kind regards,
Matthias Leonhardt