increased line spacing when applying bullets - why?

increased line spacing when applying bullets - why?

Cor Nouws
Hi *,

When bulleting is applied to paragraphs, the line spacing increases.

This is also the case, when I give more line space, proportional, with
different or larger for, with other style (heading for example).
Only when setting line spacing to fixed it does - of course - not change.

The properties in the bullets (list style), lead me to the character
style 'Numbering Symbols'.
However, when, for example the paragraph style is 20 pts, and the
'Numbering Symbols' is 12 pts, one would expect that there is room
enough for the bullets. No. Only when I set the 'Numbering Symbols' to
10 pts, the line spacing stays unchanged.

Design? Bug?
Thanks,
Cor

--
  >> Your office 2010 software: the new OpenOffice.org <<

Cor Nouws
   - ideas/remarks for the community council?
   - http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Community_Council

Re: increased line spacing when applying bullets - why?

Mathias Bauer
On 14.06.2010 22:10, Cor Nouws wrote:

> Hi *,
>
> When bulleting is applied to paragraphs, the line spacing increases.
>
> This is also the case, when I give more line space, proportional, with
> different or larger for, with other style (heading for example).
> Only when setting line spacing to fixed it does - of course - not change.
>
> The properties in the bullets (list style), lead me to the character
> style 'Numbering Symbols'.
> However, when, for example the paragraph style is 20 pts, and the
> 'Numbering Symbols' is 12 pts, one would expect that there is room
> enough for the bullets. No. Only when I set the 'Numbering Symbols' to
> 10 pts, the line spacing stays unchanged.

Sorry, can you please explain your findings more clearly? Just taking
two paragraphs and applying bullets to them doesn't give me a
discernible increase in line spacing. So maybe you are talking about
something different.

Regards,
Mathias

Please don't reply to "[hidden email]".

Re: increased line spacing when applying bullets - why?

Cor Nouws
Mathias Bauer wrote (18-06-10 14:30)

> Sorry, can you please explain your findings more clearly? Just taking
> two paragraphs and applying bullets to them doesn't give me a
> discernible increase in line spacing. So maybe you are talking about
> something different.

When I have

aap
noot
mies
wim
vuur

the total vertical distance is less then when I apply bullets to the
same, as in

* aap
* noot
* mies
* wim
* vuur

Does this help?
For just is case that, I 'll send a test document.

Best,
Cor

--
  >> Your office 2010 software: the new OpenOffice.org <<

Cor Nouws
   - ideas/remarks for the community council?
   - http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Community_Council

Re: increased line spacing when applying bullets - why?

Cor Nouws
Cor Nouws wrote (18-06-10 18:13)

> Mathias Bauer wrote (18-06-10 14:30)
>
>> Sorry, can you please explain your findings more clearly? Just taking
>> two paragraphs and applying bullets to them doesn't give me a
>> discernible increase in line spacing. So maybe you are talking about
>> something different.
>
> When I have
>
> aap
> noot
> mies
> wim
> vuur
>
> the total vertical distance is less then when I apply bullets to the
> same, as in
>
> * aap
> * noot
> * mies
> * wim
> * vuur
>
> Does this help?
> For just is case that, I 'll send a test document.

There were smart responses on the users list.
http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=205800

" OpenSymbol (OO's default font for Insert|Symbol) has a taller
linespace (for a given point size) than whatever text font the author
happens to be using, so Writer adapts to the taller font. "