java spell checking tool for hunspell

ge-7
Hello JC,

Omegat T is the only open source TM, that really works.
I dislike it's appeareance.
kilgray.com is also free, but not open source, and unfortunately windows only.
I like it's appeareance. kilgray plans to switch to hunspell.
My overall impression is, that TM is a toothless helper, it helps in fact very little, and forces usage of additional tools.

JNA is as far as I understand an additional library,
whose usage makes writing native code unnecessary.

Thanks, Eleonora

FYI, OmegaT (a Java GPL computer aided translation tool) also uses
Hunspell but instead of jni it uses jna for its interfacing to Java.

https://jna.dev.java.net/

THe spellchecking code is in CVS and has not yet been released but a
number of "power users" (read "people who can use cvs and ant") have
been testing it for a little while now -including me.

Re: java spell checking tool for hunspell

Marcin Miłkowski
ge pisze:

> My overall impression is, that TM is a toothless helper, it helps in
> fact very little, and forces usage of additional tools.

For an individual translator, it can be of little help if the text
doesn't contain many repetitions. For a group, it helps to sustain
consistency of translation and maintain the high quality. Now, the OOo
user interface texts are highly repetitive, so any TM is in fact very
useful, though it can be argued which TM system should be used but not
whether it should be used or not. It is plain clear it should.

Regards
Marcin
PS. I've been using TMs for 8 years, different systems, also for
translating poetry and fiction, 14 books, several hundreds of papers, UI
localizations, and tens of millions of words or more...

Re: java spell checking tool for hunspell

brandelune

On 9 janv. 08, at 03:39, ge wrote:

> My overall impression is, that TM is a toothless helper, it helps in
> fact very little, and forces usage of additional tools.

I make a living with translation and the tools I use 90% of the time
are OmegaT and OpenOffice.

And hunspell is a very welcome addition to that.

Jean-Christophe Helary

Re: java spell checking tool for hunspell

Дмитрий Габинский
Saluton!

Tue, 8 Jan 2008 20:39:21 +0200, ge <[hidden email]> skribis:

> Omegat T is the only open source TM, that really works.

In fact, there's also Esperantilo, which is reported to work (I haven't
tried it as a translation memory tool).

> I dislike it's appeareance.

Well, I do. You can't cater to all tastes :-)

> My overall impression is, that TM is a toothless helper,

For thousands of translators around the world, TM technology is a great
helper. It's a pity, that your workflow is not compatible with TM (I guess,
that's the reason of your negative comment). Apart of the very translation
memory, TM tools provide also means for keeping terminology consistent,
which, sometimes, is even more important than TM.

>forces usage of additional tools.

Can't see any sense in this remark, because EVERY program forces usage of at
least two additional tools:
a) operating system;
b) computer.

and, well:
c) human brain (some consider it optional, though).

Best regards,

Dmitri Gabinski

Re: java spell checking tool for hunspell

brandelune
Content de te voir ici Dmitri !

JC

On 9 janv. 08, at 19:26, Dmitri Gabinski wrote:

> Saluton!
>
> Tue, 8 Jan 2008 20:39:21 +0200, ge <[hidden email]> skribis:
>
>> Omegat T is the only open source TM, that really works.
>
> In fact, there's also Esperantilo, which is reported to work (I
> haven't tried it as a translation memory tool).
>
>> I dislike it's appeareance.
>
> Well, I do. You can't cater to all tastes :-)
>
>> My overall impression is, that TM is a toothless helper,
>
> For thousands of translators around the world, TM technology is a
> great helper. It's a pity, that your workflow is not compatible with
> TM (I guess, that's the reason of your negative comment). Apart of
> the very translation memory, TM tools provide also means for keeping
> terminology consistent, which, sometimes, is even more important
> than TM.
>
>> forces usage of additional tools.
>
> Can't see any sense in this remark, because EVERY program forces
> usage of at least two additional tools:
> a) operating system;
> b) computer.
>
> and, well:
> c) human brain (some consider it optional, though).
>
> Best regards,
>
> Dmitri Gabinski

> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-
> [hidden email]

Jean-Christophe Helary

Re: java spell checking tool for hunspell

Дмитрий Габинский
Saluton!

Wed, 9 Jan 2008 19:35:58 +0900, Jean-Christophe Helary
<[hidden email]> skribis:

> Content de te voir ici Dmitri !

Moi aussi :-)

Dmitri Gabinski