[lazy consensus] Addition in release notes because of Big Sur (was: How should we proceed with BigSur?)

[lazy consensus] Addition in release notes because of Big Sur (was: How should we proceed with BigSur?)

Jörg Schmidt-2

> However, we really should state this (known) Problem
> in our Release Notes.

Hello,

If there is no objection I will add the following to the release notes for AOO 4.1.8, starting 12/28/2020 at 5:00 PM (CET):

In the release notes under "Known Issues - For macOS users":

(en)
Note for MacOS 11.0.x, Big Sur
AOO 4.1.8 is not able to open OOXML files (docx, xlsx, ...) under MacOS 11.0.x. Unfortunately these problems became apparent after the release of AOO 4.1.8, a solution is already being worked on.

(de)
Hinweis für MacOS 11.0.x, Big Sur
AOO 4.1.8 ist unter MacOS 11.0.x nicht in der Lage OOXML-Dateien (docx, xlsx, ...) zu öffnen. Leider haben sich diese Probleme erst nach dem Release von AOO 4.1.8 herausgestellt, an einer Problemlösung wird bereits gearbeitet.

I will only add the following (additionally) if there are positive comments about it here in the thread:

(en)
As a workaround, it is recommended to refrain from updating MacOS to version 11.0.x for the time being and to keep an earlier version.

(de)
Als workaround wird empfohlen vorerst auf das Update von MacOS auf Version 11.0.x zu verzichten und eine frühere Version beizubehalten.

greetings,
Jörg

Re: [lazy consensus] Addition in release notes because of Big Sur (was: How should we proceed with BigSur?)

Bidouille
> Unfortunately these problems became apparent after the
> release of AOO 4.1.8
I disagree.
Some users have reported this bug with old builds (4.1.3 and 4.1.7 too).

Re: [lazy consensus] Addition in release notes because of Big Sur (was: How should we proceed with BigSur?)

Matthias Seidel
Am 25.12.20 um 15:44 schrieb Bidouille:
>> Unfortunately these problems became apparent after the
>> release of AOO 4.1.8
> I disagree.
> Some users have reported this bug with old builds (4.1.3 and 4.1.7 too).

And how does that contradict above sentence?!

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

RE: [lazy consensus] Addition in release notes because of Big Sur (was: How should we proceed with BigSur?)

Jörg Schmidt-2

maybe i could write:

Although there were already hints with earlier program versions, it was only with AOO 4.1.8 that we became aware of the problem, unfortunately only after the release, due to an increased number of feedbacks - a solution to the problem is already being worked on.

Better?

Jörg

Re: [lazy consensus] Addition in release notes because of Big Sur (was: How should we proceed with BigSur?)

Dave Fisher-3
We became aware of the problem with the release of BigSur. That just happened about the same time as the 4.1.8 release.

4.1.9 is another discussion.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

imho:
I am afraid that with the method "lazy consensus" everyone can object without having to give a reason, and I am afraid that if the objection is upheld then "lazy consensus" has failed and we must have to take a formal vote.

In any case, in the rules of "lazy consensus" there is no other way to neutralize the opposition, because the possibility of counterproposals is purely voluntary and not mandatory:
https://community.apache.org/committers/lazyConsensus.html

Any other opinions?

Jörg

RE: [lazy consensus] Addition in release notes because of Big Sur (was: How should we proceed with BigSur?)

Jörg Schmidt-2

yes.

However, I am afraid (see my other mail) at the moment it is necessary to find a modified wording for the addition to the release notes, which "Bidouille" also agrees with.

Jörg

Re: [lazy consensus] Addition in release notes because of Big Sur (was: How should we proceed with BigSur?)

Peter Kovacs-3
How about we make a blog post instead?

We can describe

What the impact is.

What Versions are affected.

Where our research is.

And what our plans are.

On 25.12.20 16:52, Jörg Schmidt wrote:

> [...]

you mean in: https://blogs.apache.org? If so, I would find that even better.

But who can do that? I myself do not feel able to do it because:
-my english is too bad for longer texts
-I hardly know anything about technical backgrounds

If I suggested an entry in the release notes it was because:
-I think it is valuable for the users to get an info as soon as possible
-I feel able to formulate a short English text for the Release Notes

I thus gladly support your suggestion of a blog post.

If there is nothing clear in the next few hours I will, however, after the deadline of my proposal, state that "lazy consensus" has failed (in my opinion) and I will reintroduce the same proposal by way of formal "consensus building".

greetings,
Jörg

Re: [lazy consensus] Addition in release notes because of Big Sur (was: How should we proceed with BigSur?)

Patricia Shanahan

> On Dec 27, 2020, at 04:39, Jörg Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

If you do know the content for longer writing I may be able to help with editing. I am a native speaker of the English dialect of English and have near native reading, writing, and listening skills in the US dialect, which I would use for an AOO blog.

> -I hardly know anything about technical backgrounds
>
> If I suggested an entry in the release notes it was because:
> -I think it is valuable for the users to get an info as soon as possible
> -I feel able to formulate a short English text for the Release Notes
>

> I thus gladly support your suggestion of a blog post.
>
> If there is nothing clear in the next few hours I will, however, after the deadline of my proposal, state that "lazy consensus" has failed (in my opinion) and I will reintroduce the same proposal by way of formal "consensus building".
>

> greetings,
> Jörg

RE: [lazy consensus] Addition in release notes because of Big Sur (was: How should we proceed with BigSur?)

Jörg Schmidt-2

Thanks, but I think Peter's draft text is better than what I could provide.

(whether Peter's text is spelling correct I can't say)

greetings,
Jörg

Re: [lazy consensus] Addition in release notes because of Big Sur (was: How should we proceed with BigSur?)

Moderator
On 27/12/2020 14:38, Jörg Schmidt wrote:

> [...]

Why would you reject the assistance of a native English speaking,
active, Apache OpenOffice PMC member's offer of assistance? That does
not make any sense.

> (whether Peter's text is spelling correct I can't say)

Precisely. This and accurate English grammar is where Patricia's
contribution would be extremely valuable.

> greetings,
> Jörg

RE: [lazy consensus] Addition in release notes because of Big Sur (was: How should we proceed with BigSur?)

Jörg Schmidt-2

The reason is very simple: I myself have much less technical knowledge about the problem 'AOO/MacOS' than Peter and would have to gather the facts first.
Peter's text, however, already contains the right facts (I assume) and I see no reason to make an alternative text proposal.

However, I can translate Peter's text into German if it would be of interest to have an additional German text for publication.

> Precisely. This and accurate English grammar is where Patricia's
> contribution would be extremely valuable.

I assume that Patricia's suggestion also applies to Peter's text.

Jörg

Re: [lazy consensus] Addition in release notes because of Big Sur (was: How should we proceed with BigSur?)

Dave Fisher-2

> On Dec 27, 2020, at 5:13 AM, Patricia Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 27, 2020, at 04:39, Jörg Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

The proposed text is now in Confluence. (Thanks Jörg!) I’ve made many edits.

Here it is: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=173080814 <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=173080814>

Regards,
Dave

>> -I hardly know anything about technical backgrounds
>>
>> If I suggested an entry in the release notes it was because:
>> -I think it is valuable for the users to get an info as soon as possible
>> -I feel able to formulate a short English text for the Release Notes
>>

>> I thus gladly support your suggestion of a blog post.
>>
>> If there is nothing clear in the next few hours I will, however, after the deadline of my proposal, state that "lazy consensus" has failed (in my opinion) and I will reintroduce the same proposal by way of formal "consensus building".
>>

>> greetings,
>> Jörg

Re: [lazy consensus] Addition in release notes because of Big Sur (was: How should we proceed with BigSur?)

Marcus (OOo)
Am 27.12.20 um 19:30 schrieb Dave Fisher:

> [...]

I've also made some changes.

@Patricia:
It would be great when you can have an eye on the wording and
formulations before we put this on the blog.

Thanks

Marcus

Re: [lazy consensus] Addition in release notes because of Big Sur (was: How should we proceed with BigSur?)

Patricia Shanahan

It looks good to me for grammar and spelling.

> Regards,
> Dave
>

>>> -I hardly know anything about technical backgrounds
>>>
>>> If I suggested an entry in the release notes it was because:
>>> -I think it is valuable for the users to get an info as soon as possible
>>> -I feel able to formulate a short English text for the Release Notes
>>>

>>> I thus gladly support your suggestion of a blog post.
>>>
>>> If there is nothing clear in the next few hours I will, however, after the deadline of my proposal, state that "lazy consensus" has failed (in my opinion) and I will reintroduce the same proposal by way of formal "consensus building".
>>>

>>> greetings,
>>> Jörg

Re: [lazy consensus] Addition in release notes because of Big Sur (was: How should we proceed with BigSur?)

Leonard Fogli
Ok