lessons for ODF/OOo?

Bruce D'Arcus

Sorry for cross-posting, but this is a fairly broad topic ...

I wonder, does what MS is doing with Word 2007 and OXML and citations
have any lessons for ODF and OOo?

They are a step away from implementing what we've been advocating for
the past couple of years for ODF and OOo (e.g. citation and
bibliographic support that is far superior to that currently in OOo),
and they are doing it mostly using generic XML (fields, and the custom
schema support) and programming structures. There's been talk of some
of this in OOo, but nothing has happened.

See my analysis:

<http://netapps.muohio.edu/blogs/darcusb/darcusb/archives/2006/06/08/
citations-in-open-xml>

<http://netapps.muohio.edu/blogs/darcusb/darcusb/archives/2006/06/09/