license advice

Dan Corneanu
 Hi,
I have developed a first version of a UCP for connecting to a CMIS
compliant content repository (see http://wiki.alfresco.com/wiki/CMIS).
The code is written in Java and some parts are ports of the CPP code in
name-space ucbhelper::*.

I am preparing to release the code as open source in the hope that it
will benefit others.  The code is in alpha state and was tested with:
* the openoffice and the go-oo version (http://go-oo.org/) of open office
* alfresco's community edition server (http://www.alfresco.com/try/).
* windows 7 / opensuse 11.2
* jdk 1.6 update 20

There were some problems with the way open office treats new URI
sachems, which required some debugging with GDB and small modification
of the CPP code. Maybe this could be used as an assessment of how
easy/friendly it is to add new types of UCP that are not written in CPP
and not part of the base code (but separate installable oxt extensions).

This being said, I would like to know what would be the best license to
use for this code and what would be the best place to host the project
(I was thinking of the LGPL license)?

Best regards,
Dan.

Re: license advice

Martin Hollmichel - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg
Hi Dan,

On 21.07.2010 11:41, Dan Corneanu wrote:

> There were some problems with the way open office treats new URI
> sachems, which required some debugging with GDB and small modification
> of the CPP code. Maybe this could be used as an assessment of how
> easy/friendly it is to add new types of UCP that are not written in CPP
> and not part of the base code (but separate installable oxt extensions).
>
> This being said, I would like to know what would be the best license to
> use for this code and what would be the best place to host the project
> (I was thinking of the LGPL license)?
The best location for extension code would be an own module or even
repository hosted in the OpenOffice.org extensions project. I can
provide help to create an own subcomponent in IssueZilla.

Using LGPL is fine, you may want to think about assigning copyright, but
see the section about unbundled extensions on
http://external.openoffice.org/ about your options.

> Best regards,
> Dan.
Martin