[lingu-dev] RE: [users] Profanity in the thesaurus

[lingu-dev] RE: [users] Profanity in the thesaurus

G. Roderick Singleton-2
Any chance a bowlderized or cleaned up thesaurus existing now. I ask
because a school teacher has encountered a problem with the thesaurus
that is distributed where the f-word in its many forms is offered as a
synonym.

Failing that how to clean up easily?
--
PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead

Re: [lingu-dev] RE: [users] Profanity in the thesaurus

Jancs
Cit?ju "G. Roderick Singleton" <[hidden email]>:

> Any chance a bowlderized or cleaned up thesaurus existing now. I ask
> because a school teacher has encountered a problem with the thesaurus
> that is distributed where the f-word in its many forms is offered as a
> synonym.
>
> Failing that how to clean up easily?

I think the existance of all f-words, p-words (for Latvian) in dictionaries is
the matter of attitude - exaggerated sensitivity to things person does not
like. For example, in Latvia you will not find any electronic dictionary which
would not contain basic slang (no matter commercial of free).

I am not pro-slangist, but think that it is not possible to hide away form such
things - and what about some regular words having the other -slangish- meaning
- let's make them disappear alltogether?

If you are going to intruduce some censorship, then you must be ready to produce
dictionaries which will satisfy catholics, judaists, mormons, sexual minorities,
democrats, republicans etc. etc.
***

On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 22:41 +0200, Jancs wrote:

> Cit?ju "G. Roderick Singleton" <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Any chance a bowlderized or cleaned up thesaurus existing now. I ask
> > because a school teacher has encountered a problem with the thesaurus
> > that is distributed where the f-word in its many forms is offered as a
> > synonym.
> >
> > Failing that how to clean up easily?
>
> I think the existance of all f-words, p-words (for Latvian) in dictionaries is
> the matter of attitude - exaggerated sensitivity to things person does not
> like. For example, in Latvia you will not find any electronic dictionary which
> would not contain basic slang (no matter commercial of free).
>
> I am not pro-slangist, but think that it is not possible to hide away form such
> things - and what about some regular words having the other -slangish- meaning
> - let's make them disappear alltogether?
>
> If you are going to intruduce some censorship, then you must be ready to produce
> dictionaries which will satisfy catholics, judaists, mormons, sexual minorities,
> democrats, republicans etc. etc.
> ***

True enough but that is not what I asked. I asked whether or not there
were existing thesaures that had offensive words removed. I also asked
if there were none, was there a script, method or procedure that a user
(in this case, read dumb user) could use to clean up for use by
children. If not, can someone offer guidance that could do this task.

Thanks for your input.
--
PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead
http://documentation.openoffice.org/

[lingu-dev] RE: Profanity in the thesaurus -- The futility of it.

Walter Wojcik
G, what you are asking for is not really possible.  Different people from different groups, persuasions, and even geographical regions ech have thier own 'dialect' of apropriate nd inapropriate words.  If you want a custom thesaurus you will  have to make/modify it yourself the hard way.  If i sent you one without the f-word (english)  and it syn.s what if you want words like 'faggot' (aka a budle of sticks ) or nigger ( a wrong word 99% of the time ) or the d-words or s-words or b-words, ect.

Plain and simple: if you want (or need) a thesaurus that meets your guidlines then you will have to search through the full version (word-for-word ) and remove EVERY word that you feel os profain.

Good Luck!

P.S. - I hope every one who reads this is not offended whith anyof the words refferenced here.  I used them with a strictly acedemic intent.

"G. Roderick Singleton" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 22:41 +0200, Jancs wrote:

> Cit?ju "G. Roderick Singleton" :
>
> > Any chance a bowlderized or cleaned up thesaurus existing now. I ask
> > because a school teacher has encountered a problem with the thesaurus
> > that is distributed where the f-word in its many forms is offered as a
> > synonym.
> >
> > Failing that how to clean up easily?
>
> I think the existance of all f-words, p-words (for Latvian) in dictionaries is
> the matter of attitude - exaggerated sensitivity to things person does not
> like. For example, in Latvia you will not find any electronic dictionary which
> would not contain basic slang (no matter commercial of free).
>
> I am n! ot pro-slangist, but think that it is not possible to hide away form such
> things - and what about some regular words having the other -slangish- meaning
> - let's make them disappear alltogether?
>
> If you are going to intruduce some censorship, then you must be ready to produce
> dictionaries which will satisfy catholics, judaists, mormons, sexual minorities,
> democrats, republicans etc. etc.
> ***

True enough but that is not what I asked. I asked whether or not there
were existing thesaures that had offensive words removed. I also asked
if there were none, was there a script, method or procedure that a user
(in this case, read dumb user) could use to clean up for use by
children. If not, can someone offer guidance that could do this task.

Thanks for your input.
--
PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead
http://documentation.openoffice.org/

"Knowledge is power, Those who have it must share with those who don't"
                                                                                  -Walter Wojcik

Re: [lingu-dev] RE: [users] Profanity in the thesaurus

Jonathon Blake
Jance wrote:

> exaggerated sensitivity to things person does not like.

In US Law, there is this nice little thing known as "Hostile Work Environment".
What legally constitutes a "hostile work environment" is very nebulous.
[A cheap defence costs over a million dollars (US Currency).]

Being able to offer a company a way to clean up all dictionaries and
thesauri is one of those small things that can help tilt the balance
towards OOo.

xan

jonathon
Does your Office Suite conform to ISO Standards?

Re: [lingu-dev] RE: [users] Profanity in the thesaurus

Simon Brouwer
Hi,

At 09:56 19-11-2005, you wrote:

>Jance wrote:
>
> > exaggerated sensitivity to things person does not like.
>
>In US Law, there is this nice little thing known as "Hostile Work
>Environment".
>What legally constitutes a "hostile work environment" is very nebulous.
>[A cheap defence costs over a million dollars (US Currency).]
>
>Being able to offer a company a way to clean up all dictionaries and
>thesauri is one of those small things that can help tilt the balance
>towards OOo.

Right! It is our holy duty to protect American citizens from getting
traumatized by confrontation with the F-word, so that they have no other
choice than to sue their employers for millions...

;)

On a more serious note, you could use a list of "bad words" and write a
small program to remove those from the word lists.

e.g.
http://www.analytictech.com/mb870/bwfldata.htm

Vriendelijke groet,
Simon Brouwer.

Simon wrote:

>confrontation with the F-word,

Actually, the N word is the one that is going to cost the company money.

xan

jonathon
Does your Office Suite conform to ISO Standards?

Re: [lingu-dev] RE: Profanity in the thesaurus -- The futility of it.

G. Roderick Singleton-2
On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 17:31 -0800, Walter Wojcik wrote:

> G, what you are asking for is not really possible.  Different people
> from different groups, persuasions, and even geographical regions ech
> have thier own 'dialect' of apropriate nd inapropriate words.  If you
> want a custom thesaurus you will  have to make/modify it yourself the
> hard way.  If i sent you one without the f-word (english)  and it
> syn.s what if you want words like 'faggot' (aka a budle of sticks ) or
> nigger ( a wrong word 99% of the time ) or the d-words or s-words or
> b-words, ect.
>
> Plain and simple: if you want (or need) a thesaurus that meets your
> guidlines then you will have to search through the full version
> (word-for-word ) and remove EVERY word that you feel os profain.
>
> Good Luck!

Thanks Walter.  The list stripped the attachment. Could you please send
it to me off-list?  That way I can send it on.

Perhaps the project could host your set as a downloadable option. I
would be pleased to point users to these in the user guide or even host
them on the doc project. Whichever.

Keep in mind, that I am looking to have a set suitable for children. For
myself, I prefer the regular set as it more inclusive and useful for
writing.

On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 08:56 +0000, Jonathon Blake wrote:

> Jance wrote:
>
> > exaggerated sensitivity to things person does not like.
>
> In US Law, there is this nice little thing known as "Hostile Work Environment".
> What legally constitutes a "hostile work environment" is very nebulous.
> [A cheap defence costs over a million dollars (US Currency).]
>
> Being able to offer a company a way to clean up all dictionaries and
> thesauri is one of those small things that can help tilt the balance
> towards OOo.

Didn't know this, so thanks. Perhaps it is time to have options for
users. As I said in another message, I will be happy to point users to
any options offered by this project in the user guide or even host them
on documentation.

On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 12:38 +0100, Simon Brouwer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At 09:56 19-11-2005, you wrote:
> >Jance wrote:
> >
> > > exaggerated sensitivity to things person does not like.
> >
> >In US Law, there is this nice little thing known as "Hostile Work
> >Environment".
> >What legally constitutes a "hostile work environment" is very nebulous.
> >[A cheap defence costs over a million dollars (US Currency).]
> >
> >Being able to offer a company a way to clean up all dictionaries and
> >thesauri is one of those small things that can help tilt the balance
> >towards OOo.
>
> Right! It is our holy duty to protect American citizens from getting
> traumatized by confrontation with the F-word, so that they have no other
> choice than to sue their employers for millions...
>
> ;)
>
> On a more serious note, you could use a list of "bad words" and write a
> small program to remove those from the word lists.
>
> e.g.
> http://www.analytictech.com/mb870/bwfldata.htm

I will send this list to the OP as an aid. However, I know so little
about the structure of the files that I hesitate to try writing one
myself. Anyone have such a script/program that even the most naive user
could employ?

Cit?ju Simon Brouwer <[hidden email]>:

> >Being able to offer a company a way to clean up all dictionaries and
> >thesauri is one of those small things that can help tilt the balance
> >towards OOo.
>
> Right! It is our holy duty to protect American citizens from getting
> traumatized by confrontation with the F-word, so that they have no other
> choice than to sue their employers for millions...

not actually on the subject, but (with no offence to anyone to whom it may
concern, as nowadays anyone writes) i have a feeling that mantioned country
should make more efforts to improve the mental health of the citizens...

Hostile work environment can be created even without the use of words at all ;)
or using the words usualy met in romantic lyrics - one has to have a good
command of its mother language only.

Janis
***

[lingu-dev] RE: Profanity in the thesaurus -- The futility of it.

Walter Wojcik
I didn't send any attachment to you.  I was just saying i didn't think there was an easy way to do what you wnted short doing it yourself or gtting someone else to do it for you.

I might look into it later if you wanted to send me a list of 'bad' words and a copy of the thesaurus you wanted to start with ( assuming we're working in english, other wise you wll have to try someone else. )

On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 15:30 -0800, Walter Wojcik wrote:
> I didn't send any attachment to you.  I was just saying i didn't think
> there was an easy way to do what you wnted short doing it yourself or
> gtting someone else to do it for you.

What I guess I need is some more knowledge on how the thesaruses are put
together. I mean I see they are plain text with vertical bars. What I do
not know is if I remove things along with say the following vertical bar
will this cause any damage. I assume that editing the index is similar.
Is there is anything special that must be known before editing?