localize question

jan iversen
I am analyzing the current localization process and writing a detailed
dcoument as a first step to change the process.

The wiki page "localization for developers" states that:

solenv/bin/localize_sl

(description is without parameters)

should be called to generate the central sdf file needed to generate .pot
and .po files.

However doing so, I get an error message stating that the executable misses
options. I looked at the source (localize.cxx) and it do expect options.

The wiki page states that the executable can be called directly as:

localize -e -l en-US -f foo.sdf.

THIS WORKS, and foo.sdf is generated at trunk level.

I cannot find calls to localize* in the build scripts, which seems correct
since the build is concentrating on the opposite direction.

Can someone please enlighten me:
- what is actually called to generate the central sdf file ?
- is that (and the following calls) stored somewhere in a script ?

thanks in advance.

jan I.

Re: localize question

Ariel Constenla-Haile-2
Hi Jan,

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 12:04:57AM +0200, jan iversen wrote:

> I am analyzing the current localization process and writing a detailed
> dcoument as a first step to change the process.
>
> The wiki page "localization for developers" states that:
>
> solenv/bin/localize_sl
>
> (description is without parameters)
>
> should be called to generate the central sdf file needed to generate .pot
> and .po files.
>
> However doing so, I get an error message stating that the executable misses
> options. I looked at the source (localize.cxx) and it do expect options.
>
> The wiki page states that the executable can be called directly as:
>
> localize -e -l en-US -f foo.sdf.
>
> THIS WORKS, and foo.sdf is generated at trunk level.
>
> I cannot find calls to localize* in the build scripts, which seems correct
> since the build is concentrating on the opposite direction.
>
> Can someone please enlighten me:
> - what is actually called to generate the central sdf file ?
This is what I could understand:

main/solenv/bin/localize calls the perl script on the solver, for
example:

main/solver/350/unxlngx6/bin/localize.pl

this one is delivered from l10ntools: main/l10ntools/scripts/localize.pl

Then, localize.pl calls localize_sl, located also in the solver bin dir.
Search for "localize_sl" in l10ntools/scripts/localize.pl and you'll see
the command.

localize_sl is built from sources in main/l10ntools/source/ :

    localize.cxx
    utf8conv.cxx
    srciter.cxx
    export2.cxx
    file.cxx
    directory.cxx
    treeconfig.cxx
    inireader.cxx

You get this information from reading the makefile.mk in that folder,
localize_sl is target APP9TARGET, and the object files are APP9OBJS,
etc.

> - is that (and the following calls) stored somewhere in a script ?

You can increase the build system verbosity if you configure with
--enable-verbose

If you build with ./build --html you get an html file in trunk/log and
all the output is stored per module in misc/logs , for example:
main/l10ntools/unxlngx6/misc/logs

Sometimes scrips and binaries have verbose options of their own, that is
not triggered anywhere, so you will have to hack the command to get more
output. For example, localize.pl has a $bVerbose variable set when
invoked with -v. In main/l10ntools/source/localize.cxx I couldn't find
a verbose switch.

Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: localize question

Jürgen Schmidt-3
On 10/16/12 12:04 AM, jan iversen wrote:

> I am analyzing the current localization process and writing a detailed
> dcoument as a first step to change the process.
>
> The wiki page "localization for developers" states that:
>
> solenv/bin/localize_sl
>
> (description is without parameters)
>
> should be called to generate the central sdf file needed to generate .pot
> and .po files.

that is a mistake, it should be solenv/bin/localize. I changed it already

> However doing so, I get an error message stating that the executable misses
> options. I looked at the source (localize.cxx) and it do expect options.
>
> The wiki page states that the executable can be called directly as:
>
> localize -e -l en-US -f foo.sdf.

This one is called

Juergen

> THIS WORKS, and foo.sdf is generated at trunk level.
>
> I cannot find calls to localize* in the build scripts, which seems correct
> since the build is concentrating on the opposite direction.
>
> Can someone please enlighten me:
> - what is actually called to generate the central sdf file ?
> - is that (and the following calls) stored somewhere in a script ?
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> jan I.

Re: localize question

jan iversen
Thanks a lot, I will do that build since it will help me with other things.

I have build all the tools succesfully and changed localize_sl, so I can
follow the start of the conversion tools.

Sadly enough most of the localization process is not part of build, so in
that respect it does not help too much for analyzing the process.

I am in the last phase of documentation, and just wanted to get all the
flags correct.

have a nice day
Jan

On 16 October 2012 02:57, Ariel Constenla-Haile <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 12:04:57AM +0200, jan iversen wrote:
> > I am analyzing the current localization process and writing a detailed
> > dcoument as a first step to change the process.
> >
> > The wiki page "localization for developers" states that:
> >
> > solenv/bin/localize_sl
> >
> > (description is without parameters)
> >
> > should be called to generate the central sdf file needed to generate .pot
> > and .po files.
> >
> > However doing so, I get an error message stating that the executable
> misses
> > options. I looked at the source (localize.cxx) and it do expect options.
> >
> > The wiki page states that the executable can be called directly as:
> >
> > localize -e -l en-US -f foo.sdf.
> >
> > THIS WORKS, and foo.sdf is generated at trunk level.
> >
> > I cannot find calls to localize* in the build scripts, which seems
> correct
> > since the build is concentrating on the opposite direction.
> >
> > Can someone please enlighten me:
> > - what is actually called to generate the central sdf file ?
>
> This is what I could understand:
>
> main/solenv/bin/localize calls the perl script on the solver, for
> example:
>
> main/solver/350/unxlngx6/bin/localize.pl
>
> this one is delivered from l10ntools: main/l10ntools/scripts/localize.pl
>
> Then, localize.pl calls localize_sl, located also in the solver bin dir.
> Search for "localize_sl" in l10ntools/scripts/localize.pl and you'll see
> the command.
>
> localize_sl is built from sources in main/l10ntools/source/ :
>
>     localize.cxx
>     utf8conv.cxx
>     srciter.cxx
>     export2.cxx
>     file.cxx
>     directory.cxx
>     treeconfig.cxx
>     inireader.cxx
>
> You get this information from reading the makefile.mk in that folder,
> localize_sl is target APP9TARGET, and the object files are APP9OBJS,
> etc.
>

> > - is that (and the following calls) stored somewhere in a script ?
>
> You can increase the build system verbosity if you configure with
> --enable-verbose
>
> If you build with ./build --html you get an html file in trunk/log and
> all the output is stored per module in misc/logs , for example:
> main/l10ntools/unxlngx6/misc/logs
>
> Sometimes scrips and binaries have verbose options of their own, that is
> not triggered anywhere, so you will have to hack the command to get more
> output. For example, localize.pl has a $bVerbose variable set when
> invoked with -v. In main/l10ntools/source/localize.cxx I couldn't find
> a verbose switch.
>

> Regards
> --
> Ariel Constenla-Haile
> La Plata, Argentina

Re: localize question

jan iversen
thanks, I will correct the documentation.

Do you know where manage.py is stored in SVN ? it does not seem to be part
of AOO

have a nice day
jan

On 16 October 2012 09:14, Jürgen Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/16/12 12:04 AM, jan iversen wrote:
> > I am analyzing the current localization process and writing a detailed
> > dcoument as a first step to change the process.
> >
> > The wiki page "localization for developers" states that:
> >
> > solenv/bin/localize_sl
> >
> > (description is without parameters)
> >
> > should be called to generate the central sdf file needed to generate .pot
> > and .po files.
> >

> that is a mistake, it should be solenv/bin/localize. I changed it already
>

> > However doing so, I get an error message stating that the executable
> misses
> > options. I looked at the source (localize.cxx) and it do expect options.
> >
> > The wiki page states that the executable can be called directly as:
> >
> > localize -e -l en-US -f foo.sdf.
>
> This one is called
>
> Juergen
>

> > THIS WORKS, and foo.sdf is generated at trunk level.
> >
> > I cannot find calls to localize* in the build scripts, which seems
> correct
> > since the build is concentrating on the opposite direction.
> >
> > Can someone please enlighten me:
> > - what is actually called to generate the central sdf file ?
> > - is that (and the following calls) stored somewhere in a script ?
> >
> > thanks in advance.
> >
> > jan I.

Re: localize question

jan iversen
Jürgen:

I can see that you have updated the document, can you give me a hint on the
chapter:

"Update to new templates"

I am confused:

first we update the pootle server (sdf to po) using manage_py
update_from_templates ...
then the translators do their magic.

We then update the po files with manage_py sync_stores ..
does this have to done for each language, or if language it not given it
does it for all ?

The po files make their way back to sdf files.

Now comes my confusion:
why take the template files again (they have not changed) which are older
than the po files we just generated ?

is there a step missing, to generate pot files from the NEW sdf files ?

I hope you can give me a quick answer, so I can finish the document and
publish it.

have a nice day
JanI

On 16 October 2012 10:42, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> thanks, I will correct the documentation.
>
> Do you know where manage.py is stored in SVN ? it does not seem to be part
> of AOO
>
> have a nice day
> jan
>

> On 16 October 2012 09:14, Jürgen Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 10/16/12 12:04 AM, jan iversen wrote:
>> > I am analyzing the current localization process and writing a detailed
>> > dcoument as a first step to change the process.
>> >
>> > The wiki page "localization for developers" states that:
>> >
>> > solenv/bin/localize_sl
>> >
>> > (description is without parameters)
>> >
>> > should be called to generate the central sdf file needed to generate
>> .pot
>> > and .po files.
>> >

>> that is a mistake, it should be solenv/bin/localize. I changed it already
>>

>> > However doing so, I get an error message stating that the executable
>> misses
>> > options. I looked at the source (localize.cxx) and it do expect options.
>> >
>> > The wiki page states that the executable can be called directly as:
>> >
>> > localize -e -l en-US -f foo.sdf.
>>
>> This one is called
>>
>> Juergen
>>

>> > THIS WORKS, and foo.sdf is generated at trunk level.
>> >
>> > I cannot find calls to localize* in the build scripts, which seems
>> correct
>> > since the build is concentrating on the opposite direction.
>> >
>> > Can someone please enlighten me:
>> > - what is actually called to generate the central sdf file ?
>> > - is that (and the following calls) stored somewhere in a script ?
>> >
>> > thanks in advance.
>> >
>> > jan I.

Re: localize question

Jürgen Schmidt-3
On 10/16/12 11:44 AM, jan iversen wrote:

> Jürgen:
>
> I can see that you have updated the document, can you give me a hint on the
> chapter:
>
> "Update to new templates"
>

> I am confused:
>
> first we update the pootle server (sdf to po) using manage_py
> update_from_templates ...
> then the translators do their magic.

yes, we do that to have updated po files and an updated pootle server.
Pootle gives us a good overview about the current coverage for each language

> We then update the po files with manage_py sync_stores ..
> does this have to done for each language, or if language it not given it
> does it for all ?

I think it sync all languages if no language is specified

> The po files make their way back to sdf files.
>
> Now comes my confusion:
> why take the template files again (they have not changed) which are older
> than the po files we just generated ?

the tool requires the source sdf file for the conversion

> is there a step missing, to generate pot files from the NEW sdf files ?

no, see the second bullet point under roundtrip

2oo2po -P en-US.sdf templates" converts in pot files under the directory
templates

Juergen

> I hope you can give me a quick answer, so I can finish the document and
> publish it.
>
> have a nice day
> JanI
>
> On 16 October 2012 10:42, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> thanks, I will correct the documentation.
>>
>> Do you know where manage.py is stored in SVN ? it does not seem to be part
>> of AOO
>>
>> have a nice day
>> jan

>>> .pot
>>>>

>>> that is a mistake, it should be solenv/bin/localize. I changed it already

>>> misses

>>> This one is called
>>>
>>> Juergen

>>> correct

Re: localize question

jan iversen
Is it correct that gsicheck is not used ?

On 16 October 2012 11:44, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jürgen:
>
> I can see that you have updated the document, can you give me a hint on
> the chapter:
>
> "Update to new templates"
>

> I am confused:
>
> first we update the pootle server (sdf to po) using manage_py
> update_from_templates ...
> then the translators do their magic.
>
> We then update the po files with manage_py sync_stores ..
> does this have to done for each language, or if language it not given it
> does it for all ?
>
> The po files make their way back to sdf files.
>
> Now comes my confusion:
> why take the template files again (they have not changed) which are older
> than the po files we just generated ?
>
> is there a step missing, to generate pot files from the NEW sdf files ?
>
> I hope you can give me a quick answer, so I can finish the document and
> publish it.
>
> have a nice day
> JanI
>
> On 16 October 2012 10:42, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> thanks, I will correct the documentation.
>>
>> Do you know where manage.py is stored in SVN ? it does not seem to be
>> part of AOO
>>
>> have a nice day
>> jan

>>> .pot
>>> >

>>> that is a mistake, it should be solenv/bin/localize. I changed it already

>>> misses
>>> options.

>>> This one is called
>>>
>>> Juergen

>>> correct

Re: localize question

jan iversen
I think I got it...when you update the pootle server with the templates it
is NON-translated templates and therefore the original en-US.sdf file works
fine ?

slowly I am getting there :-)

janI

On 16 October 2012 13:46, Jürgen Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/16/12 11:44 AM, jan iversen wrote:
> > Jürgen:
> >
> > I can see that you have updated the document, can you give me a hint on
> the
> > chapter:
> >
> > "Update to new templates"
> >

> > I am confused:
> >
> > first we update the pootle server (sdf to po) using manage_py
> > update_from_templates ...
> > then the translators do their magic.
>
> yes, we do that to have updated po files and an updated pootle server.
> Pootle gives us a good overview about the current coverage for each
> language
>

> > We then update the po files with manage_py sync_stores ..
> > does this have to done for each language, or if language it not given it
> > does it for all ?
>
> I think it sync all languages if no language is specified
>

> > The po files make their way back to sdf files.
> >
> > Now comes my confusion:
> > why take the template files again (they have not changed) which are older
> > than the po files we just generated ?
>
> the tool requires the source sdf file for the conversion
>

> > is there a step missing, to generate pot files from the NEW sdf files ?
>
> no, see the second bullet point under roundtrip
>
> 2oo2po -P en-US.sdf templates" converts in pot files under the directory
> templates
>

> Juergen
>

> > I hope you can give me a quick answer, so I can finish the document and
> > publish it.
> >
> > have a nice day
> > JanI
> >
> > On 16 October 2012 10:42, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> thanks, I will correct the documentation.
> >>
> >> Do you know where manage.py is stored in SVN ? it does not seem to be
> part
> >> of AOO
> >>
> >> have a nice day
> >> jan

> already

> options.

Re: localize question

Jürgen Schmidt-3
On 10/16/12 1:48 PM, jan iversen wrote:
> Is it correct that gsicheck is not used ?

I used it to check some files and we should do that more frequently. It
can be useful and of course it helped me to fix some problems

Juergen

> On 16 October 2012 11:44, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Jürgen:
>>
>> I can see that you have updated the document, can you give me a hint on
>> the chapter:
>>
>> "Update to new templates"
>>

>> I am confused:
>>
>> first we update the pootle server (sdf to po) using manage_py
>> update_from_templates ...
>> then the translators do their magic.
>>
>> We then update the po files with manage_py sync_stores ..
>> does this have to done for each language, or if language it not given it
>> does it for all ?
>>
>> The po files make their way back to sdf files.
>>
>> Now comes my confusion:
>> why take the template files again (they have not changed) which are older
>> than the po files we just generated ?
>>
>> is there a step missing, to generate pot files from the NEW sdf files ?
>>
>> I hope you can give me a quick answer, so I can finish the document and
>> publish it.
>>
>> have a nice day
>> JanI
>>
>> On 16 October 2012 10:42, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> thanks, I will correct the documentation.
>>>
>>> Do you know where manage.py is stored in SVN ? it does not seem to be
>>> part of AOO
>>>
>>> have a nice day
>>> jan

Re: localize question

Dick Groskamp
That's right. As a Dutch localizer I ran gsicheck on the translated
files to check on errors.
It generated an errofile which whay errors were easy to fix
There were specific errors for OOo to check so that the transfer to sdf
ran smoothly.

Most of those checks are, if I recall correctly, also available in POOTLE.

--
DiGro

Windows 7 and OpenOffice.org 3.3
Scanned with Ziggo uitgebreide Internetbeveiliging (F-Secure)