m100

Martin Srebotnjak
Hello,

the m100 brings several updates of strings in help, where I am puzzled if
this is a true change:
hid=\"sw:CheckBox:TP_OPTPRINT_PAGE:CB_BLACK_FONT\"
gets changed into
hid=\"SW:CHECKBOX:TP_OPTPRINT_PAGE:CB_BLACK_FONT\"

Is this not a consequence of the OOo help editor? Is this change really
necessary (i.e. if this is not necessary you are making 100 l10n teams
translate/edit/ review these strings for no reason at all).

Just want to know before I start working (in vain?).

Thanks,
m.

Re: m100

Uwe Fischer-6
On 02/12/11 19:05, Martin Srebotnjak wrote:

> Hello,
>
> the m100 brings several updates of strings in help, where I am puzzled if
> this is a true change:
> hid=\"sw:CheckBox:TP_OPTPRINT_PAGE:CB_BLACK_FONT\"
> gets changed into
> hid=\"SW:CHECKBOX:TP_OPTPRINT_PAGE:CB_BLACK_FONT\"
>
> Is this not a consequence of the OOo help editor? Is this change really
> necessary (i.e. if this is not necessary you are making 100 l10n teams
> translate/edit/ review these strings for no reason at all).
>
> Just want to know before I start working (in vain?).
>
> Thanks,
> m.

Hello Martin,

if this is a change in a paragraph, then it must have happened by chance
(or by bad luck), but it was not intended to change. Sorry for that.
The first version with sw:CheckBox in mixed case is the correct version.
But if this is inside a "paragraph" then it doesn't really matter which
text is inside the double quotes.
The real Help IDs are stored inside "bookmarks" in the *.xhp help files,
and those should not be visible to translators at all.

Uwe
--

Uwe Fischer | Technical Writer
Oracle Office GBU

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande

Re: m100

Mathias Bauer
Hi,

the "hid" identifiers are not case sensitive anyway.

They are not used by the help only, but also by our testtool. The
testtool treats them case insensitive as it uses a BASIC language. So
even if the help was able to differentiate by case (I assume that it
does), we couldn't have two identifiers that only differ in upper/lower
case letters as then the testtool would complain.

So you can ignore upper/lower case changes in these identifiers in
general. Perhaps we should normalize them to either full upper or full
lower case and then make sure that this doesn't change anymore?

Regards,
Mathias

On 14.02.2011 11:37, Uwe Fischer wrote:

> On 02/12/11 19:05, Martin Srebotnjak wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> the m100 brings several updates of strings in help, where I am puzzled if
>> this is a true change:
>> hid=\"sw:CheckBox:TP_OPTPRINT_PAGE:CB_BLACK_FONT\"
>> gets changed into
>> hid=\"SW:CHECKBOX:TP_OPTPRINT_PAGE:CB_BLACK_FONT\"
>>
>> Is this not a consequence of the OOo help editor? Is this change really
>> necessary (i.e. if this is not necessary you are making 100 l10n teams
>> translate/edit/ review these strings for no reason at all).
>>
>> Just want to know before I start working (in vain?).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> m.
>>

> Hello Martin,
>
> if this is a change in a paragraph, then it must have happened by chance
> (or by bad luck), but it was not intended to change. Sorry for that.
> The first version with sw:CheckBox in mixed case is the correct version.
> But if this is inside a "paragraph" then it doesn't really matter which
> text is inside the double quotes.
> The real Help IDs are stored inside "bookmarks" in the *.xhp help files,
> and those should not be visible to translators at all.
>
> Uwe

OpenOffice.org Engineering at Oracle: http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS
Please don't reply to "[hidden email]".

Re: m100

Uwe Fischer-6
Hi,
if the Help IDs are not case sensitive then it is of no use to normalize
their cases. It would only risk that the Help IDs that are still part of
translation relevant paragraphs get changed accidentally and thus result
in translation relevant changes. We don't want that.
I suppose this is what happened to the one ID that Martin reported.

Uwe

--

Uwe Fischer | Technical Writer
Oracle Office GBU

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande

Re: m100

Mathias Bauer
Hi Uwe,

"normalizing" can happen anywhere. We could make sure that whereever hid
identifier are used, they should be used case insensitive.

Regards,
Mathias