[marketing] Linux.conf.au ?

Jean Hollis Weber-3
Is anyone planning to attend Linux.conf.au in Brisbane, Australia next
January? Specifically, is anyone planning to have a stall at the Open
Day? I think Open Days (which are free for attendees) are an excellent
way to reach current and potential users.

I don't see anything listed for 2011 on the Events page of the wiki.

--Jean

Re: Linux.conf.au ?

Alex Fisher
Since I live in (well, a one hour train ride from) Brisbane, I'll be thinking
of attending. And if someone better able than I cares to organise a stall,
I'll most certainly be available to help man it.

Unfortunately, I'm not very experienced in organizing such things, otherwise
I'd be right in there. anyone who might think of doing so who would like a
local person on the ground, feel free to give me a yell.

--
Alex Fisher

Co-Lead, CD-ROM Project

OpenOffice.org Marketing
Community Contact
Australia/New Zealand

http://distribution.openoffice.org/cdrom/

Re: Linux.conf.au ?

Graham Lauder-2
On Wednesday 13 Oct 2010 13:48:05 Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
> Is anyone planning to attend Linux.conf.au in Brisbane, Australia next
> January? Specifically, is anyone planning to have a stall at the Open
> Day? I think Open Days (which are free for attendees) are an excellent
> way to reach current and potential users.
>
> I don't see anything listed for 2011 on the Events page of the wiki.
>
> --Jean

I will probably be there, unfortunately I'll have my openSUSE hat on at the
open day, but I'll help in any way I can

Cheers
GL
--
Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Open Technologies)
www.theingots.org

Re: Linux.conf.au ?

Jean Hollis Weber-3
On Wed, 2010-10-13, Alex Fisher wrote:

> Since I live in (well, a one hour train ride from) Brisbane, I'll be thinking
> of attending. And if someone better able than I cares to organise a stall,
> I'll most certainly be available to help man it.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not very experienced in organizing such things, otherwise
> I'd be right in there. anyone who might think of doing so who would like a
> local person on the ground, feel free to give me a yell.
>
> > Is anyone planning to attend Linux.conf.au in Brisbane, Australia next
> > January? Specifically, is anyone planning to have a stall at the Open
> > Day? I think Open Days (which are free for attendees) are an excellent
> > way to reach current and potential users.
> >
> > I don't see anything listed for 2011 on the Events page of the wiki.
> >
> > --Jean

I've now heard back from the Open Day organiser. There is no cost, and
they will provide some things like printing one colour poster (from our
artwork) and printing black-and-white handouts.

I have booked a stall in the name of Friends of OpenDocument Inc (FoOD),
the Australian group that publishes the printed copies of OOo user
guides, so we can have info about OpenDocument as well as OOo and LibO
and anything else relevant. I have display copies of the OOo user guides
and hope to have some CDs, laptops with demos, handouts, the usual.

If there are any expenses (extra posters, for example), FoOD will pay.

--Jean

Re: Linux.conf.au ?

Graham Lauder-2
On Wednesday 13 Oct 2010 22:14:21 Jean Hollis Weber wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-10-13, Alex Fisher wrote:
> > Since I live in (well, a one hour train ride from) Brisbane, I'll be
> > thinking of attending. And if someone better able than I cares to
> > organise a stall, I'll most certainly be available to help man it.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I'm not very experienced in organizing such things,
> > otherwise I'd be right in there. anyone who might think of doing so who
> > would like a local person on the ground, feel free to give me a yell.
> >
> > > Is anyone planning to attend Linux.conf.au in Brisbane, Australia next
> > > January? Specifically, is anyone planning to have a stall at the Open
> > > Day? I think Open Days (which are free for attendees) are an excellent
> > > way to reach current and potential users.
> > >
> > > I don't see anything listed for 2011 on the Events page of the wiki.
> > >
> > > --Jean
>
> I've now heard back from the Open Day organiser. There is no cost, and
> they will provide some things like printing one colour poster (from our
> artwork) and printing black-and-white handouts.
>
> I have booked a stall in the name of Friends of OpenDocument Inc (FoOD),
> the Australian group that publishes the printed copies of OOo user
> guides, so we can have info about OpenDocument as well as OOo and LibO
> and anything else relevant. I have display copies of the OOo user guides
> and hope to have some CDs, laptops with demos, handouts, the usual.
>
> If there are any expenses (extra posters, for example), FoOD will pay.
>
> --Jean

I have two rollomat freestanding Banners, unfortunately they've got the old
branding on them,  I can get some new ones done if that's a problem

cheers
GL

Re: Linux.conf.au ?

Graham Lauder-2
On Thursday 14 Oct 2010 01:37:59 Graham Lauder wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 Oct 2010 22:14:21 Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-10-13, Alex Fisher wrote:
> > > Since I live in (well, a one hour train ride from) Brisbane, I'll be
> > > thinking of attending. And if someone better able than I cares to
> > > organise a stall, I'll most certainly be available to help man it.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, I'm not very experienced in organizing such things,
> > > otherwise I'd be right in there. anyone who might think of doing so who
> > > would like a local person on the ground, feel free to give me a yell.

> > I've now heard back from the Open Day organiser. There is no cost, and
> > they will provide some things like printing one colour poster (from our
> > artwork) and printing black-and-white handouts.
> >
> > I have booked a stall in the name of Friends of OpenDocument Inc (FoOD),
> > the Australian group that publishes the printed copies of OOo user
> > guides, so we can have info about OpenDocument as well as OOo and LibO
> > and anything else relevant. I have display copies of the OOo user guides
> > and hope to have some CDs, laptops with demos, handouts, the usual.
> >
> > If there are any expenses (extra posters, for example), FoOD will pay.
> >
> > --Jean
>
> I have two rollomat freestanding Banners, unfortunately they've got the old
> branding on them,  I can get some new ones done if that's a problem
>
> cheers
> GL

OK just spoke to my sign writing guy and he'll do me a deal on new banners for
my RolloMats

Anybody out there want to come up with a design.  Banners are 2 metres high by
900 wide. usually I have them erected either side of a booth or stage or
whatever so one could be a right side and one a left.

Probably not best to make them LCA specific because I use them at other
events.

Cheers
GL

Re: Linux.conf.au ?

Bernhard Dippold-2
Hi Graham,

Graham Lauder schrieb:
> On Thursday 14 Oct 2010 01:37:59 Graham Lauder wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> I have two rollomat freestanding Banners, unfortunately they've got the old
>> branding on them,  I can get some new ones done if that's a problem
 > [...]
> OK just spoke to my sign writing guy and he'll do me a deal on new banners for
> my RolloMats
>
> Anybody out there want to come up with a design.

As we neither have a trademark policy nor branding guidelines I'd
propose to ask for approval for any artwork with the OpenOffice.org logo
or the Gull orb.

At least for the logo this will probably be necessary for any single
event you want to show your RolloMats.

But this might have changed since I've been involved in creating the
trademark policy draft.

Please ask Stefan Taxhet or Rosana Ardila for an update.

Best regards

Bernhard

Re: Linux.conf.au ?

Louis Suárez-Potts

On 2010-10-14, at 14:21 , Bernhard Dippold wrote:

> Hi Graham,
>
> Graham Lauder schrieb:
>> On Thursday 14 Oct 2010 01:37:59 Graham Lauder wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I have two rollomat freestanding Banners, unfortunately they've got the old
>>> branding on them,  I can get some new ones done if that's a problem
> > [...]
>> OK just spoke to my sign writing guy and he'll do me a deal on new banners for
>> my RolloMats
>>
>> Anybody out there want to come up with a design.
>
> As we neither have a trademark policy nor branding guidelines

I disagree. We have a longstanding trademark policy that's not really up to date but is still serviceable and in fact is used every day. It's described in our CD page.

> I'd propose to ask for approval for any artwork with the OpenOffice.org logo or the Gull orb.
>
> At least for the logo this will probably be necessary for any single event you want to show your RolloMats.
>
> But this might have changed since I've been involved in creating the trademark policy draft.
>
> Please ask Stefan Taxhet or Rosana Ardila for an update.
>
> Best regards
>
> Bernhard

best
louis

Re: Linux.conf.au ?

Bernhard Dippold-2
Hi Louis,

Louis Suárez-Potts schrieb:

> On 2010-10-14, at 14:21 , Bernhard Dippold wrote: [...]
>>
>> As we neither have a trademark policy nor branding guidelines
>
> I disagree. We have a longstanding trademark policy that's not really
> up to date but is still serviceable and in fact is used every day.
> It's described in our CD page.

Ok - I've been not precise enough:

Of course people can ask at [hidden email] for approval if they
want to use the logo.

As this list is private, I can't share it's content with the community,
but there are lots of requests not replied to (at least on the list
where the replies should be for archive reasons).

Just a few days ago one of the volunteer working on the list proposed to
use the old logo or ask Oracle directly about allowance for the new one.

The last positive reply I found (might miss some among the amount of
SPAM) was yours from March 2010 - pointing to the logo archives with the
old logos at this time.

The German PrOOo-Box and PortableApps wanted to use the new logo, but
haven't been granted for months (part of the present discussion on
[hidden email])

This is not the serviceable policy OpenOffice.org should use to
encourage people to promote our community and product.

So I have to repeat the part you didn't comment:

>> I'd propose to ask for approval for any artwork with the
>> OpenOffice.org logo or the Gull orb.

Best regards

Bernhard

Re: Linux.conf.au ?

ian.lynch
On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 23:02 +0200, Bernhard Dippold wrote:

> The German PrOOo-Box and PortableApps wanted to use the new logo, but
> haven't been granted for months (part of the present discussion on
> [hidden email])

To be fair, I asked Louis about using the OpenOffice.org name on
certificates for the certification project and got a reply back from
Oracle within a day.

> This is not the serviceable policy OpenOffice.org should use to
> encourage people to promote our community and product.
>
> So I have to repeat the part you didn't comment:
>

> >> I'd propose to ask for approval for any artwork with the
> >> OpenOffice.org logo or the Gull orb.
>
> Best regards
>
> Bernhard

Ian
Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications
A new approach to assessment for learning
www.theINGOTs.org - 01827 305940