metadata implementation ideas

Bruce D'Arcus
The ODF TC has in principle approved enhanced metadata support [1] for
ODF 1.2. This is fantastically cool stuff, and gives ODF:

1. a simple, flexible, and extensible data model (RDF)
2. the ability to use it to describe not just the document, but pieces
within the document (tables, images, etc.), including ...
3. a new generic field

WRT to implementing it in OOo, some suggested reading:

<http://www.idealliance.org/proceedings/xtech05/papers/04-01-04/>
<http://librdf.org/>

Redland seems to have the characteristics that would be good for OOo:
flexible licensing, builds as C++, can use expat or libxml as the xml
parser, support for contexts (allows named graphs), and it's mature.

There are also mature libraries in Java as well, but I'm assuming that'd
be less ideal given OOo's C++ base.

So upon loading an ODF 1.2 metadata-enhanced file, OOo would just load
each RDF file into an in-memory model as a subgraph, work with the data
as needed using the Redland APIs, and then write it back out on save.
Because of the context support, Redland can track which file to write
which statements to.

So, for example, I imagine citation support would use the new generic
text:meta-field and deal with two subgraphs: one for the field per se
(written to "citations.rdf"), and the other for the bibliographic source
metadata ("bibliography.rdf").

Anyway, just some ideas ...

Bruce

[1]
<http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/24327/ODF-Metadata-Proposal.pdf>

Re: metadata implementation ideas

Gannon Dick
So, will the legacy <text:bibliography-mark> tag be preserved or not in
the OpenOffice Writer ?

On 7/5/07, Gannon Dick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So, will the legacy <text:bibliography-mark> tag be preserved or not in
> the OpenOffice Writer ?

Not sure, but I expect it to be deprecated.

Will check ...

Bruce