misleading "New Features" document

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

misleading "New Features" document

Daniel Naber-9
Hi,

http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/3.1/ says: "With OpenOffice.org
3.1, the LanguageTool grammar checker is now also accessible from the
Tools -> Spelling and Grammar menu command." This sounds like LanguageTool
is integrated into OOo by default. This is also how journalists interpret
it. Could someone change that page so that it's clear that OOo only
contains a grammar checker *framework*?

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: misleading "New Features" document

Andrea Pescetti
Daniel Naber wrote:
> http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/3.1/ says: "With OpenOffice.org
> 3.1, the LanguageTool grammar checker is now also accessible from the
> Tools -> Spelling and Grammar menu command." This sounds like LanguageTool
> is integrated into OOo by default. This is also how journalists interpret
> it. Could someone change that page so that it's clear that OOo only
> contains a grammar checker *framework*?

I've already expressed the same concern on the releases mailing list,
where John McCreesh had asked for comments:
http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=releases&msgNo=13515

So I expect it to be fixed by John before the release.

By the way, are there plans to integrate (i.e., distribute together)
LanguageTool in OOo?

Regards,
  Andrea Pescetti - Italian N-L Project Lead.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: misleading "New Features" document

Marcin Miłkowski
Andrea Pescetti pisze:

> Daniel Naber wrote:
>> http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/3.1/ says: "With OpenOffice.org
>> 3.1, the LanguageTool grammar checker is now also accessible from the
>> Tools -> Spelling and Grammar menu command." This sounds like LanguageTool
>> is integrated into OOo by default. This is also how journalists interpret
>> it. Could someone change that page so that it's clear that OOo only
>> contains a grammar checker *framework*?
>
> I've already expressed the same concern on the releases mailing list,
> where John McCreesh had asked for comments:
> http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=releases&msgNo=13515
>
> So I expect it to be fixed by John before the release.
>
> By the way, are there plans to integrate (i.e., distribute together)
> LanguageTool in OOo?

One problem is that we don't think that our code is mature enough, and
another is that some of the linguistic resources are not available on
LGPL, so that would raise some licensing issues.

Regards
Marcin

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: misleading "New Features" document

Carlos Menezes
Marcin,

What is not LGPL?

Regards,

Carlos Menezes

2009/3/16, Marcin Miłkowski <[hidden email]>:

>
> Andrea Pescetti pisze:
>
>> Daniel Naber wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/3.1/ says: "With
>>> OpenOffice.org 3.1, the LanguageTool grammar checker is now also accessible
>>> from the Tools -> Spelling and Grammar menu command." This sounds like
>>> LanguageTool is integrated into OOo by default. This is also how journalists
>>> interpret it. Could someone change that page so that it's clear that OOo
>>> only contains a grammar checker *framework*?
>>>
>>
>> I've already expressed the same concern on the releases mailing list,
>> where John McCreesh had asked for comments:
>> http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=releases&msgNo=13515
>>
>> So I expect it to be fixed by John before the release.
>>
>> By the way, are there plans to integrate (i.e., distribute together)
>> LanguageTool in OOo?
>>
>
> One problem is that we don't think that our code is mature enough, and
> another is that some of the linguistic resources are not available on LGPL,
> so that would raise some licensing issues.
>
> Regards
> Marcin
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: misleading "New Features" document

Marcin Miłkowski
CARLOS EDUARDO DANTAS DE MENEZES pisze:
> Marcin,
>
> What is not LGPL?

Some dictionaries - some are based on open-source but not LGPL data, for
example the English one, which is based on many sources, including
Wordnet (which is not LGPL). Some dictionaries are CC (German &
Italian). You can find all the info in our README.txt.

http://languagetool.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/languagetool/JLanguageTool/README.txt?revision=1.94&view=markup

Anyway, it would be hard to get rid of the Wordnet dependency (note:
it's also being used for OOo thesaurus in English, but I don't know what
is the status of the bundle in such a case).

Regards
Marcin

> Regards,
>
> Carlos Menezes
>
> 2009/3/16, Marcin Miłkowski <[hidden email]>:
>> Andrea Pescetti pisze:
>>
>>> Daniel Naber wrote:
>>>
>>>> http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/3.1/ says: "With
>>>> OpenOffice.org 3.1, the LanguageTool grammar checker is now also accessible
>>>> from the Tools -> Spelling and Grammar menu command." This sounds like
>>>> LanguageTool is integrated into OOo by default. This is also how journalists
>>>> interpret it. Could someone change that page so that it's clear that OOo
>>>> only contains a grammar checker *framework*?
>>>>
>>> I've already expressed the same concern on the releases mailing list,
>>> where John McCreesh had asked for comments:
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=releases&msgNo=13515
>>>
>>> So I expect it to be fixed by John before the release.
>>>
>>> By the way, are there plans to integrate (i.e., distribute together)
>>> LanguageTool in OOo?
>>>
>> One problem is that we don't think that our code is mature enough, and
>> another is that some of the linguistic resources are not available on LGPL,
>> so that would raise some licensing issues.
>>
>> Regards
>> Marcin
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>
>>
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]