[moderated]

AVM-2
Hi,
I love your product, however I am having problems when I send files by email to people who dont have open office.    I have sent 3 documents in word to two different recipients and they could not open them.   The document was Open office text document.
Can you help me please.
Thanks.
A. von Mehren

Re: [moderated]

CPHennessy
On Fri November 4 2005 04:18, + Rich Cherry wrote:
>  [ MODERATED ] ********************
> Downloaded Open Office but cannot find the icon or file to open the
> program. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

When you downloaded it, your browser would have put the file somewhere
(normally on your desktop).

Please reply to [hidden email] only

--
CPH : openoffice.org contributor

                                http://user-faq.openoffice.org/#FAQ

Re: [moderated]

CPHennessy
On Fri November 4 2005 22:07, + Zing Allsopp wrote:
> Thanks.  But to make the document readable on any computer, would I need
> to include the program OpenOffice 2.0 on the disk?
That is the best option.

> Or wouldn't the
> reader need MS Word or a comparable program to access my document?
That is another option.

> Also, I'd like to have OO on my Mac G5, but it has OS X, and so far, I
> haven't been able to launch the program.  NeoOffice works fine, though.
> Can I use NeoOffice to create a multi-media CD document for Mac users?
Sure.

On Thu November 3 2005 14:20, + Mary wrote:

>  [ MODERATED ] ********************
> My question is "How do I create and print a short envelope - 3 5/8" x 6
> l/2"?  I have tried everything I know and it won't work.  I do not want to
> create it in front of a document.  I just want to type it up, save it, and
> be able to print it any time.
>
> I had Corel Word Suite 8 on my computer and switched everything over to the
> OpenOffice.org 1.1 because of the ability to export as pdf.  I like this
> software, but I really would like the ability to save and print short
> envelopes.

Hi Mary,
  This is well documented in http://documentation.openoffice.org

On Mon November 7 2005 15:35, + AVM wrote:
>  [ MODERATED ] ********************
> Hi,
> I love your product, however I am having problems when I send files by
> email to people who dont have open office.    I have sent 3 documents in
> word to two different recipients and they could not open them.   The
> document was Open office text document. Can you help me please.

Either do "File" -> "Save As" -> "File type" and select "Microsoft 97/2000/XP"
or do "File" -> "Export as PDF".

Please reply to [hidden email] only

--
CPH : openoffice.org contributor

                                http://user-faq.openoffice.org/#FAQ

Re: [moderated]

Dan Lewis-6
On Monday 07 November 2005 09:35 am, AVM wrote:
> Hi,
> I love your product, however I am having problems when I send files by
> email to people who dont have open office.    I have sent 3 documents in
> word to two different recipients and they could not open them.   The
> document was Open office text document. Can you help me please.
> Thanks.
> A. von Mehren

File > Save As. Change the File type to MS Word 97/2000/XP (*.doc), and click
save. Then send the file, but make sure that you send the *.doc file.

OOo has a different native file format from MS Word. While OOo's file format
is public knowledge, MS has chosen not to include a filter in the products to
open OOo's file format.

Dan

Re: [moderated]

Caleb Marcus
AVM wrote:
> Hi,
> I love your product, however I am having problems when I send files by email to people who dont have open office.    I have sent 3 documents in word to two different recipients and they could not open them.   The document was Open office text document.
> Can you help me please.
> Thanks.
> A. von Mehren

You are going to have to save the file as an RTF file, which can be read
by almost every word processor. To do this, go to the *File *menu at the
top of the window and click *Save As*. Then, click the drop-down box
labeled *Save As Type* and select *Rich Text Format (.rtf).* Then,
continue saving as you normally would.

Re: [moderated]

Caleb Marcus
CPHennessy wrote:

> On Mon November 7 2005 15:35, + AVM wrote:
>
>>  [ MODERATED ] ********************
>> Hi,
>> I love your product, however I am having problems when I send files by
>> email to people who dont have open office.    I have sent 3 documents in
>> word to two different recipients and they could not open them.   The
>> document was Open office text document. Can you help me please.
>>

> Either do "File" -> "Save As" -> "File type" and select "Microsoft 97/2000/XP"
> or do "File" -> "Export as PDF".
>
> Please reply to [hidden email] only

Why are we advising him/her to use MS Word? It's a proprietary format
that can't be opened by all software, like RTF can.

Re: [moderated]

Terry North
Joe O'Brien <jnobrien <at> verizon.net> writes:

> Hello!  Hoping you can e-mail me back with an answer to my question. I have
noticed with most programs that
> have icons, one only needs to point the cursor at the icon and an explanation
of the object appears. I cannot
> seem to get this feature to work (if it's supposed to) on Open Office.
> I have tried opening different dialog boxes, but fearful of getting myself in
a fix I can't get out of, I
> haven't pushed this too far. Any advice would be deeply appreciated.
>
>                                                Best Regards,
>                                                Joe O'Brien
> jnobrien <at> verizon.net               (503) 693-2810

With Linux (and, from memory, I think Windows is similar), you can right click
on the icon, select Properties and then enter comment you want displayed.  My
OOo2 icon displays without any tinkering.