[moderated]

John Davis-2

HELP!
(I sent this originally from my Win PC - ugh, but I'll try again.)
I downloaded Open Office.org 2.0 at the weekend, to my Mac (OSX
10.3.5).  It took ages.  Ages. When it finally 'arrived', it appeared
as a desktop disk icon.  (It looked like another hard drive.) I also
downloaded some .sxw files.  When I tried to open one - nothing, nada,
zip.  Except for 'Open Office appearing in the finder menu bar.  Two
file menus only - 'file' and 'edit'.  Neither menu had options I could
use.  (They were all 'greyed out'.)  So I couldn't open the files I'd
downloaded to help me use the software.  I couldn't open the software
to do anything with it.  I checked the website for info, and tried the
fixes for - 'if it doesn't work'.  I tried to find libdl. files.  No
joy.  (What do I need extensions for?  I drive a mac.)  The installer
file on my desktop did nothing.  That's not even he worst part.

I deleted everything I could find, and did a clean reinstall of my OS.
Even so, the now ex software had eaten up HD space to the tune of about
3 or 4 GB!  And that space was still missing.  Another clean install -
no difference.  And another, and another ...

What happened?

By the way, I have another computer - a PC with OS XP Professional, to
which I had no difficulties downloading and using Oo.org 2.0.  So while
I accept that I'm far from an expert user,  this problem with my
generally more effective mac set up is quite unusual.

I love my mac.  I've had it for several years.  I admire Oo.org.
What's up?

Is there anyone out there who can help.

John Davis.

Re: [moderated]

Paul
Ok, I assumed that you downloaded the Mac version of OOo for use on
your mac.  This would have been from :
http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/ooo-osx_downloads.html

I would recommend the neo/j one - apparently it is easier to install.

You didn't mention that you installed it (but I assume you did)...
Once done, it really should be associated with .sxw files and
therefore work ok.

Reply to the list if you still have issues.

/paul

On 11/18/05, John Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> HELP!
> (I sent this originally from my Win PC - ugh, but I'll try again.)
> I downloaded Open Office.org 2.0 at the weekend, to my Mac (OSX
> 10.3.5).  It took ages.  Ages. When it finally 'arrived', it appeared
> as a desktop disk icon.  (It looked like another hard drive.) I also
> downloaded some .sxw files.  When I tried to open one - nothing, nada,
> zip.  Except for 'Open Office appearing in the finder menu bar.  Two
> file menus only - 'file' and 'edit'.  Neither menu had options I could
> use.  (They were all 'greyed out'.)  So I couldn't open the files I'd
> downloaded to help me use the software.  I couldn't open the software
> to do anything with it.  I checked the website for info, and tried the
> fixes for - 'if it doesn't work'.  I tried to find libdl. files.  No
> joy.  (What do I need extensions for?  I drive a mac.)  The installer
> file on my desktop did nothing.  That's not even he worst part.
>
> I deleted everything I could find, and did a clean reinstall of my OS.
> Even so, the now ex software had eaten up HD space to the tune of about
> 3 or 4 GB!  And that space was still missing.  Another clean install -
> no difference.  And another, and another ...
>
> What happened?
>
> By the way, I have another computer - a PC with OS XP Professional, to
> which I had no difficulties downloading and using Oo.org 2.0.  So while
> I accept that I'm far from an expert user,  this problem with my
> generally more effective mac set up is quite unusual.
>
> I love my mac.  I've had it for several years.  I admire Oo.org.
> What's up?
>
> Is there anyone out there who can help.
>
> John Davis.

Re: [moderated]

Andrew Fisk
I know I answered this already but -- The hard disk icon that you see
is a mounted disk image -- drag it to the trash.

I would strongly suggest that you goto to neooffice.org and download
the that variant to Open Office.org to run on your mac.

If you have to run 2.0 then

You must install Apple's X11 software on your machine (you can either
install from your DVD or download it from Apples web site).

When you download open office you should have finished up with a .bz
file
When you double click that it will create a .dmg file
When you click that it will recreate Disk image
Open the disk image and drag the icon inside to your applications folder

To free up the space on your hard drive:

Drag the disk icon to the trash
Drag the .dmg file to the trash
Drag the .bz file to the trash

EMPTY THE TRASH