[moderated]

Andrew Bullock
I have just loaded Open Office for someone who used Microsoft Works.  It seems that *.wps files are not openable in anything.  I use Lotus Word which will not open them either.  Is is possible to open either Works or LPS files with Open Office?

I would love to be able to get her away from Microsoft.

With many thanks

Andrew

Re: [moderated] Opening Works files

Gordon Burgess-Parker-3
Andrew Bullock wrote:

>I have just loaded Open Office for someone who used Microsoft Works.  It seems that *.wps files are not openable in anything.  I use Lotus Word which will not open them either.  Is is possible to open either Works or LPS files with Open Office?
>
>I would love to be able to get her away from Microsoft.
>
>With many thanks
>
>Andrew

Unfortunately not. The files need to be opened in Works and "saved as" a
format that OO can open. The same goes for  WordPro files. (Although OO
will open 123 files......strangely)

HTH

Re: [moderated]

rspil
There is one common format : rtf
Robert

On Sunday 04 December 2005 15:33, Andrew Bullock wrote:
> I have just loaded Open Office for someone who used Microsoft Works.  It seems that *.wps files are not openable in anything.  I use Lotus Word which will not open them either.  Is is possible to open either Works or LPS files with Open Office?
>
> I would love to be able to get her away from Microsoft.
>
> With many thanks
>
> Andrew

Re: [moderated]

Paul
Currently OOo doesn't open M$ works files... In some cases M$ products
won't open them either.  Your best bet is to get these files saved in
a generic format (eg, rtf) and then import them into OOo.

/paul

On 12/5/05, Andrew Bullock <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have just loaded Open Office for someone who used Microsoft Works.  It seems that *.wps files are not openable in anything.  I use Lotus Word which will not open them either.  Is is possible to open either Works or LPS files with Open Office?
>
> I would love to be able to get her away from Microsoft.
>
> With many thanks
>
> Andrew

Re: [moderated] Opening Works files

Matej Cepl-2
Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
> Unfortunately not. The files need to be opened in Works and "saved as" a
> format that OO can open. The same goes for  WordPro files. (Although OO
> will open 123 files......strangely)

Because 123 is super-successful (or better to say "was supersuccessful" :-))
program, whereas WordPro was IMHO kind of disaster (both from programmer's
and marketing side) so it was never widespread, so that it would deserve
support in OOo. Of course, this is open source, so if you need you can
write (and contribute) filter yourself :-).

Matej

GPG Finger: 89EF 4BC6 288A BF43 1BAB  25C3 E09F EF25 D964 84AC

Give your heartache to him. (1Pt 5,7; Mt 11:28-30)

Re: [moderated]

Keith Bainbridge
G'day Andrew,

Alternatively, just copy/paste the text from .wps

I used Works for a while and nothing I found would open its files - not even M$Word.

It is worth the effort in the long run.

The same will happen with works sheets and dbases - just copy/paste (paste-special will probably bring any formula over).

--
Keith Bainbridge
PO Box 324

Re: [moderated]

Andrew Fisk
Take a look at http://www.dataviz.com/products/conversionsplus/
cpw_translist.html -- Dataviz does MS Works to Word/Excel
translations -- it will cost a few $$ but if you have a large Number
of docs it's probably worth while.

Thanks

Andy
Spitfire Computer Services
441 Beaver Street
Suite 202
Sewickley, PA 15143
Phone (412) 749-0162
Fax: (412) 749-0203
[hidden email]
www.spitcomp.com

On Dec 4, 2005, at 8:07 PM, Keith Bainbridge wrote:

> G'day Andrew,
>
> Alternatively, just copy/paste the text from .wps
>

> I used Works for a while and nothing I found would open its files -
> not even M$Word.
>
> It is worth the effort in the long run.
>
> The same will happen with works sheets and dbases - just copy/paste
> (paste-special will probably bring any formula over).
>
> On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 14:33:38 -0000 "Andrew Bullock"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have just loaded Open Office for someone who used Microsoft
>> Works.  It seems that *.wps files are not openable in anything.  I
>> use Lotus Word which will not open them either.  Is is possible to
>> open either Works or LPS files with Open Office?
>>
>> I would love to be able to get her away from Microsoft.
>>
>> With many thanks
>>
>> Andrew
>

> --
> Keith Bainbridge
> PO Box 324
> BELMONT   Vic   3216  OZ
> +61(0)3-5241-1881

Re: [moderated]

John Thompson
On 2005-12-04, Andrew Bullock <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have just loaded Open Office for someone who used Microsoft Works.  It
> seems that *.wps files are not openable in anything.

Nothing but Microsoft Works, anyway. That's the problem with these closed,
proprietary formats. Once they go out of favor you have no easy way of
accessing the information in that format. Once people embrace open
formats such as OpenDocument, supported by OOo, koffice, and other
packages, this won't be such a show-stopper.

> I use Lotus Word which will not open them either.  Is is possible to open either Works or
> LPS files with Open Office?

Not easily. You can use a program like Unix "strings" to extract the text
information and save it in a plain text file, but you'll lose any
formatting information.

Otherwise, you'll have to open the files in their native program (Works
and WordPro) and save them in .rtf format for OOo to read. This will
preserve most, but not necessarily all of the formatting.

--

John ([hidden email])

Re: [moderated]

Brad Edwards
Of the five domestic (USA) sources listed at he link :
http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/1.0.3/index.html, from which
OpenOffice version and build 1.0.3 are supposed to be downloadable, the
only one I could open is at the University of Indiana.

I made several unsuccessful attempts to save a download from there to my
HDD, one of which failed at the very end of a download lasting over three
hours, evidently because the information could not be saved at the
location specified. Why this location was unusable for the download, out
of all the other downloads that I've saved over the years to similar
locations, I can't say, and presumably neither can the originator of the
failure message.

Since I have no reason to expect that another three hour download won't
end up in the same way, I am giving up trying to download OpenOffice from
this webpage link until I get advice that gives a lot more reassurance
that the next download will work out well, like the vast majority of
somewhere close to 100 other downloads that I've successfully completed
from various sources.

If there are sources outside the US from which I can download English
language versions of 1.0.3 at the same or faster transmission rates than
the IU download came in at (4 to 5 KBps), does someone know of such a
site that has a better reputation for reliability than I found the IU
site to have, the hard way?

**Best of all would be for me to avoid possible temperamental download
sources by my making a nominal payment of $10 or less, to receive a CDROM
of the application by US mail from a domestic source.** Does anyone there
know where I can do this?

Brad, also in USA, like IU
================================
On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 13:49:20 +1300 Paul <[hidden email]> writes:

> The version that can be run on win95 = 1.0.3. It can be downloaded
> from here :
> http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/1.0.3/index.html
>
> Note the caution about non-default printer support.
>
> /paul
>
> On 12/5/05, Brad Edwards <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > As recently as this last spring, I was told that a version of
> OpenOffice
> > was still available for download, which was supportable by Windows
> 95b.
> > But during my tour of the OpenOffice.org download link and
> associated
> > pages, all I found was a version which requires Windows 98 or more
> recent
> > versions. Is there a download location somewhere that I can still
> > reliably download a version of OpenOffice which my Windows 95
> supports?
> >
> > Brad

Re: [moderated]

Anthony Chilco
Hi Brad,
I'm downloading it now. Send your mailing address to me at my address:
[hidden email] and send you a cd.
tc