more field fun.

Felmon Davis
great help!

through some trickery with 'manual breaks' and 'page styles' I have
almost everything in shape.

however -

imagine you have ten consecutive pages all without footer and
unnumbered except for pages 3, 5 and 7; on those pages you want a
footer and you want a roman numeral, for instance ix on page 3, xi on
page 5 and xiii on page 7.

inserting a number generates the same numeral on each page.

ah, I guess the trick is to do a different page style for 3, 5 and 7.

need a break; will pursue this strategy later unless there's a better
idea.

f.

--
Felmon Davis

Re: more field fun.

Andrew Pitonyak

I do not have time to look deeply into this, but, I do believe that you can have differnet behavior for left / right pages for a page style. I think they talk about it here:

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/FAQ/Writer/FormattingPagesAndDocuments/How_do_I_make_page_numbers_alternate%3F

I do notice, however, tha tyou say "page 3" is numbered as xi (11), so you would need to make sure that the real page number is correct if you rely on that to generate the number.

On Sat, 22 Feb 2020, Andrew Pitonyak wrote:

> I do not have time to look deeply into this, but, I do believe that
> you can have differnet behavior for left / right pages for a page
> style. I think they talk about it here:
>
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/FAQ/Writer/FormattingPagesAndDocuments/How_do_I_make_page_numbers_alternate%3F

I will have a look later but note the pages were random, I should have
used a different set of numbers, page 2, page 5 and page 10 say.

> I do notice, however, tha tyou say "page 3" is numbered as xi (11),
> so you would need to make sure that the real page number is correct
> if you rely on that to generate the number.

it's the automatic generation of a number I need to avoid. I need to
insert the numbers somehow by hand.

f.

> On Saturday, February 22, 2020 17:33 EST, Felmon Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  great help!
>
> through some trickery with 'manual breaks' and 'page styles' I have
> almost everything in shape.
>
> however -
>
> imagine you have ten consecutive pages all without footer and
> unnumbered except for pages 3, 5 and 7; on those pages you want a
> footer and you want a roman numeral, for instance ix on page 3, xi on
> page 5 and xiii on page 7.
>
> inserting a number generates the same numeral on each page.
>
> ah, I guess the trick is to do a different page style for 3, 5 and 7.
>
> need a break; will pursue this strategy later unless there's a better
> idea.
>
> f.
>
> --
> Felmon Davis

Felmon Davis

Re: more field fun.

Brian Barker-2
At 17:33 22/02/2020 -0500, Felmon Davis wrote:
>imagine you have ten consecutive pages all without footer and
>unnumbered except for pages 3, 5 and 7; on those pages you want a
>footer and you want a roman numeral, for instance ix on page 3, xi
>on page 5 and xiii on page 7. inserting a number generates the same
>numeral on each page. ah, I guess the trick is to do a different
>page style for 3, 5 and 7.

The usefulness of automatic page numbering, of course, is that you
can modify the text or layout of the document with the page numbers
being preserved and updating appropriately and not being displaced.
If you need such a random collection of numbers and the document is
at a late stage of preparation - when changes to the text are less
likely - it may be simpler just to position manual page numbers where
the footer would be, without having any footer.

If you need a footer for other information on such pages but want
page numbers only on some, you can still do this. Create a Frame to
contain the required page number (it doesn't need to have any border)
and ensure that it is anchored To Page. Position the frame in the
footer where is needs to appear. Because it is anchored to the page,
not to anything within the footer, it will not be repeated within the
footer on other pages.

The second technique is also more robust to changes in paper size,
margins, and so on, as well as to font substitution on a foreign system.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: more field fun.

Felmon Davis
On Sun, 23 Feb 2020, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 17:33 22/02/2020 -0500, Felmon Davis wrote:
>> imagine you have ten consecutive pages all without footer and unnumbered
>> except for pages 3, 5 and 7; on those pages you want a footer and you want
>> a roman numeral, for instance ix on page 3, xi on page 5 and xiii on page
>> 7. inserting a number generates the same numeral on each page. ah, I guess
>> the trick is to do a different page style for 3, 5 and 7.
>
> The usefulness of automatic page numbering, of course, is that you can modify
> the text or layout of the document with the page numbers being preserved and
> updating appropriately and not being displaced. If you need such a random
> collection of numbers and the document is at a late stage of preparation -
> when changes to the text are less likely - it may be simpler just to position
> manual page numbers where the footer would be, without having any footer.
>
> If you need a footer for other information on such pages but want page
> numbers only on some, you can still do this. Create a Frame to contain the
> required page number (it doesn't need to have any border) and ensure that it
> is anchored To Page. Position the frame in the footer where is needs to
> appear. Because it is anchored to the page, not to anything within the
> footer, it will not be repeated within the footer on other pages.
>
> The second technique is also more robust to changes in paper size, margins,
> and so on, as well as to font substitution on a foreign system.
>
> I trust this helps.

very much so! I will try out some of this when I return to the task
tonight or tomorrow. I think I favor the 'frame' approach, basically
just sort of 'paint' the footer in. these numerals do not need to be
automatically updated; quite the contrary, they must be static.

(perhaps I should ask them why. maybe there's a better way to achieve
their goals but I don't have time to dig too deep.)

again, thank you. I'll report back.

f.

--
Felmon Davis

Re: more field fun.

Rory O'Farrell
On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 23:00:36 -0500 (EST)
Felmon Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Feb 2020, Brian Barker wrote:
>
> > At 17:33 22/02/2020 -0500, Felmon Davis wrote:
> >> imagine you have ten consecutive pages all without footer and unnumbered
> >> except for pages 3, 5 and 7; on those pages you want a footer and you want
> >> a roman numeral, for instance ix on page 3, xi on page 5 and xiii on page
> >> 7. inserting a number generates the same numeral on each page. ah, I guess
> >> the trick is to do a different page style for 3, 5 and 7.
> >
> > The usefulness of automatic page numbering, of course, is that you can modify
> > the text or layout of the document with the page numbers being preserved and
> > updating appropriately and not being displaced. If you need such a random
> > collection of numbers and the document is at a late stage of preparation -
> > when changes to the text are less likely - it may be simpler just to position
> > manual page numbers where the footer would be, without having any footer.
> >
> > If you need a footer for other information on such pages but want page
> > numbers only on some, you can still do this. Create a Frame to contain the
> > required page number (it doesn't need to have any border) and ensure that it
> > is anchored To Page. Position the frame in the footer where is needs to
> > appear. Because it is anchored to the page, not to anything within the
> > footer, it will not be repeated within the footer on other pages.
> >
> > The second technique is also more robust to changes in paper size, margins,
> > and so on, as well as to font substitution on a foreign system.
> >
> > I trust this helps.
>
> very much so! I will try out some of this when I return to the task
> tonight or tomorrow. I think I favor the 'frame' approach, basically
> just sort of 'paint' the footer in. these numerals do not need to be
> automatically updated; quite the contrary, they must be static.
>
> (perhaps I should ask them why. maybe there's a better way to achieve
> their goals but I don't have time to dig too deep.)
>
> again, thank you. I'll report back.
>
> f.
>
> --
> Felmon Davis

The automatic page numbering will appear static if no pages are inserted before or between them.

If the perception is that "static" page numbers are needed because of references from other locations in the document, there are automatic ways of doing this, where the references update when (if) the page numbers change.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: more field fun.

Felmon Davis
On Sun, 23 Feb 2020, Rory O'Farrell wrote:

> [...]
>
> The automatic page numbering will appear static if no pages are inserted before or between them.

understand.

> If the perception is that "static" page numbers are needed because
> of references from other locations in the document, there are
> automatic ways of doing this, where the references update when (if)
> the page numbers change.

I haven't explored the reasons the author wants just to have those
Roman numerals plugged in like that (no automatic updating). there may
be some better way for them to achieve whatever their purpose is but
my goal was to produce the document according to their description. I
was just trying to do a favor but in the course of it I've learned
some valuable wrinkles.

I haven't yet implemented any of the solutions for the roman numeral
pages; will get to that sometime today.

f.

--
Felmon Davis

Re: more field fun.

Felmon Davis
On Sun, 23 Feb 2020, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 17:33 22/02/2020 -0500, Felmon Davis wrote:
>> imagine you have ten consecutive pages all without footer and unnumbered
>> except for pages 3, 5 and 7; on those pages you want a footer and you want
>> a roman numeral, for instance ix on page 3, xi on page 5 and xiii on page
>> 7. inserting a number generates the same numeral on each page. ah, I guess
>> the trick is to do a different page style for 3, 5 and 7.
>
> The usefulness of automatic page numbering, of course, is that you can modify
> the text or layout of the document with the page numbers being preserved and
> updating appropriately and not being displaced. If you need such a random
> collection of numbers and the document is at a late stage of preparation -
> when changes to the text are less likely - it may be simpler just to position
> manual page numbers where the footer would be, without having any footer.
>
> If you need a footer for other information on such pages but want page
> numbers only on some, you can still do this. Create a Frame to contain the
> required page number (it doesn't need to have any border) and ensure that it
> is anchored To Page. Position the frame in the footer where is needs to
> appear. Because it is anchored to the page, not to anything within the
> footer, it will not be repeated within the footer on other pages.
>
> The second technique is also more robust to changes in paper size, margins,
> and so on, as well as to font substitution on a foreign system.

to report: I believe your solutions are probably in better accord with
the "principle of simplicity" than what I chose but I hadn't realized
the power of the 'manual page-break' function before and got
fascinated.

I made three page styles, 'Roman ix', 'Roman xi' and 'Roman xiii' each
with a footer but with the corresponding Roman numeral (but not as a
'field'). on reflection it probably would have sufficed to make one
such page.

I believe the author is satisfied, and I learned some valuable tricks
thanks to you, Rory and Andrew; much appreciated!

f.

--
Felmon Davis