new endnote x1 support for odt files?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

new endnote x1 support for odt files?

Matt Price-3
does anyone know more about this?


The EndNote X1.0.1 update for Windows includes many highly requested
features including:
      * EndNote for Windows Mobile / Pocket PC
      * Expanded groups—create hundreds of groups in each EndNote
        library
      * Formatting support for Open Document Type (ODT) files using the
        Format Paper command
      * The reference preview now displays active URLs for quick access

http://www.endnote.com/enx1info.asp


--
Matt Price
[hidden email]

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new endnote x1 support for odt files?

Bruce D'Arcus
Matt Price wrote:
> does anyone know more about this?

...

>       * Formatting support for Open Document Type (ODT) files using the
>         Format Paper command

No, but I'd speculate that the support is something like what you'd get
with RTF. E.g. not what you'd get with MS Word, or using Zotero with OOo.

Bruce

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new endnote x1 support for odt files?

Matthew Yates
I just installed the trial version in Crossover Office
on Linux (version 6.2.0).  I installed Endnote X1 as
an unsupported application in a new wine bottle based
on the Windows 2000 template.  EndNote installed fine
and appears to work pretty well.

It works in the same way as handling RTF files,
however ODT files are a much better default format in
Openoffice.org.  The ODT support also makes it easier
to share/collaborate on documents across platforms
without messing up formatting.  I've tried the RTF
formatting route with EndNote and Openoffice.org.  It
is a mess.  I personally think this ODT support is
great.

I formatted a recent article I wrote.  It works by
scanning the ODT document for braces {} marking the
inserted citations.  You select the output style and
it creates a new ODT file with the bibliography
formatted.  Formatting is a one way trip, i.e. you
can't "unformat" the citations in the newly created
document.  Therefore, the formatting of the
bibliography should be the last thing you do.

The test bibliography I created had some issues.  The
text in the bibliography was formatted with spaces
between each character.  I fixed it in two seconds
though.  The formatting of the rest of the paper looks
fine and it includes a number of math formulas,
drawings, pictures, symbols, etc.

As I said, I think this is great.  My graduate
students use MS Word and EndNote, while I use
Openoffice.org on Linux for most things.  Since this
appears to work (almost) flawlessly in wine, I think I
may be able to switch my group over to openoffice.org
and we will all be editing ODT files with no lost
formatting when exchanging documents back and forth
between Windows and Linux.

-Matt


--- Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Matt Price wrote:
> > does anyone know more about this?
>
> ...
>
> >       * Formatting support for Open Document Type
> (ODT) files using the
> >         Format Paper command
>
> No, but I'd speculate that the support is something
> like what you'd get
> with RTF. E.g. not what you'd get with MS Word, or
> using Zotero with OOo.
>
> Bruce
>
>
---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail:
> [hidden email]
>
>


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new endnote x1 support for odt files?

Bruce D'Arcus
On 11/2/07, Matthew Yates <[hidden email]> wrote:

...

> As I said, I think this is great.  My graduate
> students use MS Word and EndNote, while I use
> Openoffice.org on Linux for most things.  Since this
> appears to work (almost) flawlessly in wine, I think I
> may be able to switch my group over to openoffice.org
> and we will all be editing ODT files with no lost
> formatting when exchanging documents back and forth
> between Windows and Linux.

But is there any reason you wouldn't use Zotero?  Particularly when
they roll out the server functionality, it will offer seriously
compelling advantages over Endnote (beyond being free).

Bruce

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new endnote x1 support for odt files?

Matthew Yates
There is no compelling reason that I would not use
Zotero, except now it only offers a handful of output
styles and no way to (easily) customize styles.
Therefore, it is not much of a time saver at this
point.  Maybe I need to spend more time learning
Zotero.  It looks very promising though.

I'm convinced that there will be an open source way to
do this in the future that works as well as EndNote.
Journal formatting styles are not a moving target.  It
seems like developers of Zotero or Openoffice will get
there eventually.  The EndNote ODT support seems like
a good stopgap.  My first choice would be an open
source way of doing bibliographies, but I need to have
it do the formatting styles I need to save time.

-Matt



--- Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/2/07, Matthew Yates <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> ...
>
> > As I said, I think this is great.  My graduate
> > students use MS Word and EndNote, while I use
> > Openoffice.org on Linux for most things.  Since
> this
> > appears to work (almost) flawlessly in wine, I
> think I
> > may be able to switch my group over to
> openoffice.org
> > and we will all be editing ODT files with no lost
> > formatting when exchanging documents back and
> forth
> > between Windows and Linux.
>
> But is there any reason you wouldn't use Zotero?
> Particularly when
> they roll out the server functionality, it will
> offer seriously
> compelling advantages over Endnote (beyond being
> free).
>
> Bruce
>
>
---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail:
> [hidden email]
>
>


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new endnote x1 support for odt files?

Matt Price-3

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 15:19 -0700, Matthew Yates wrote:

> There is no compelling reason that I would not use
> Zotero, except now it only offers a handful of output
> styles and no way to (easily) customize styles.
> Therefore, it is not much of a time saver at this
> point.  Maybe I need to spend more time learning
> Zotero.  It looks very promising though.
>
> I'm convinced that there will be an open source way to
> do this in the future that works as well as EndNote.
> Journal formatting styles are not a moving target.  It
> seems like developers of Zotero or Openoffice will get
> there eventually.  The EndNote ODT support seems like
> a good stopgap.  My first choice would be an open
> source way of doing bibliographies, but I need to have
> it do the formatting styles I need to save time.
>
> -Matt
>
my main interest in broaching the subject is to help my colleagues, who
all use endnote, to move to openoffice.  if indeed matt finds that he
can move his research group to openoffice, that would make a difference.
despite zotero's manifest superiority in many areas, most of my
colleagues are more wedded to endnote than to any other program.  os
this would be a big step.

matt

>
>
> --- Bruce D'Arcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 11/2/07, Matthew Yates <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > ...
> >
> > > As I said, I think this is great.  My graduate
> > > students use MS Word and EndNote, while I use
> > > Openoffice.org on Linux for most things.  Since
> > this
> > > appears to work (almost) flawlessly in wine, I
> > think I
> > > may be able to switch my group over to
> > openoffice.org
> > > and we will all be editing ODT files with no lost
> > > formatting when exchanging documents back and
> > forth
> > > between Windows and Linux.
> >
> > But is there any reason you wouldn't use Zotero?
> > Particularly when
> > they roll out the server functionality, it will
> > offer seriously
> > compelling advantages over Endnote (beyond being
> > free).
> >
> > Bruce
> >
> >
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> > [hidden email]
> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > [hidden email]
> >
> >
>
>
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
> http://mail.yahoo.com 
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
--
Matt Price
[hidden email]

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new endnote x1 support for odt files?

Bruce D'Arcus
Matt Price wrote:

...

> my main interest in broaching the subject is to help my colleagues, who
> all use endnote, to move to openoffice.  

Hmm ... I guess that depends.

Do your colleagues express interest in moving away from Word? If yes,
what kinds of sacrifices are they willing to make to do so?

In the context of Endnote, they will have to give up
cite-while-you-write functionality.

> if indeed matt finds that he
> can move his research group to openoffice, that would make a difference.
> despite zotero's manifest superiority in many areas, most of my
> colleagues are more wedded to endnote than to any other program.  

How do they express the opinion that they are "wedded" to Endnote? Is it
something like Matt Y's point that "yes, in theory, I could move, but I
rely on citation styles that Zotero does not support, and I don't have
the time or skills to create my own"? Or is it more like "I love Endnote
and will never consider anything else?"

I sympathize with people in the first camp, because while Zotero using
CSL will pay-off big time longer-term, there's no doubt that we need to
get over the shorter-term hump of more limited number of styles, and no
GUI editor.

But that will come.

Also, Zotero now has the same problem Endnote has: it's single user and
local. This makes it awkward to sync data across machines, or to
collaborate. It's not eh Zotero is any worse than Endnote on this count;
it's just not as good as it should/can be.

But Zotero 2.0 is going to kick major ass, offering the ability to
access your data from different machines, create and collaborate in the
context of groups, etc., etc. This will go WAY beyond what is possible
with Endnote.

In short, I'd encourage your colleagues to experiment with Zotero now,
perhaps simply copying over the reference data they want to Endnote as
they go. It's easy and free for them to do this, and it they don't have
to give up Endnote. At a certain point, they will probably switch, when
they realize it really is a better tool. And when they do that, the
functionality they get will be a) better than what they get in Endnote
(since Zotero supports cite-while-you-write-like functionality within
OOo), and b) compatible with Word (at least that's the goal; that one
can collaborate on documents between OOo and Word).

Bruce

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]