non-techie's comment/question

marcia
Most of the acronyms that fill the page
describing the availability of extensions
-- no, ALL of them -- are a foreign language
to me.

I've been using -- gratefully -- openoffice for
a couple of years, and what was at the start an
inconvenience has now become a "deal breaker."
I guess I have to go back to MS.

The main feature missing has always been an
extension that allows users to "save to" or "write to"
a different disc or a flash drive. Sometimes I don't
want to store things on my hard drive and other
times I want to be able to bring a digital copy of
something to a meeting.

I hoped this reference to things like "e-book extensions"
might in some way relate to this.  I assume what I seek
is still not available; is there ANY plan to develop this
capability for openoffice in the near future?

Mkaye

Re: non-techie's comment/question

Wade Smart-2
Why cant you just click SaveAs and save it to another location?
Which is the exact same thing you would do on and MS product.

Wade
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 3:15 PM, marcia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Most of the acronyms that fill the page
> describing the availability of extensions
> -- no, ALL of them -- are a foreign language
> to me.
>
> I've been using -- gratefully -- openoffice for
> a couple of years, and what was at the start an
> inconvenience has now become a "deal breaker."
> I guess I have to go back to MS.
>
> The main feature missing has always been an
> extension that allows users to "save to" or "write to"
> a different disc or a flash drive. Sometimes I don't
> want to store things on my hard drive and other
> times I want to be able to bring a digital copy of
> something to a meeting.
>
> I hoped this reference to things like "e-book extensions"
> might in some way relate to this.  I assume what I seek
> is still not available; is there ANY plan to develop this
> capability for openoffice in the near future?
>
> Mkaye

Re: non-techie's comment/question

John Hart-2
On 2/23/2018 2:21 PM, Wade Smart wrote:
> Why cant you just click SaveAs and save it to another location?
> Which is the exact same thing you would do on and MS product.
>

> The main feature missing has always been an
> extension that allows users to "save to" or "write to"
> a different disc or a flash drive.
Save as, allows one the save to another location, as well as change the
name.
I've never tried it, just did and it works for me.

Re: non-techie's comment/question

Howard Blum
I don't have that issue or problem with my Mac.

On 2/23/2018 6:16 PM, John Hart wrote:
> Save as, allows one the save to another location, as well as change
> the name.
> I've never tried it, just did and it works for me.
I'm using v3.3, and after saving it changed the path, which was
annoying, and explains the need for the method Mkaye asked about,
which wouldn't change the default path.

Re: non-techie's comment/question

zahra a
hi.
the last version of openoffice is 4.1.5 now.
you can select save as and put your files anywhere you need.
also you can save your files anywhere you want and edit them whenever you need.

On 2/24/18, John Hart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 2/23/2018 6:16 PM, John Hart wrote:
>> Save as, allows one the save to another location, as well as change
>> the name.
>> I've never tried it, just did and it works for me.
> I'm using v3.3, and after saving it changed the path, which was
> annoying, and explains the need for the method Mkaye asked about,
> which wouldn't change the default path.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Re: non-techie's comment/question

Martin Groenescheij

On 24/02/18 1:13 PM, John Hart wrote:
> On 2/23/2018 6:16 PM, John Hart wrote:
>> Save as, allows one the save to another location, as well as change
>> the name.
>> I've never tried it, just did and it works for me.
> I'm using v3.3, and after saving it changed the path, which was
> annoying, and explains the need for the method Mkaye asked about,
> which wouldn't change the default path.

Sorry, but OpenOffice doesn't changes the default path. It saves only
the 10 most recently used documents this means
if you open a file from the recently used menu and you do a save as in
an other directory it has now both files in the
recently used menu, that's how it is designed.

On 2/24/2018 3:38 AM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>> I'm using v3.3, and after saving it changed the path, which was
>> annoying, and explains the need for the method Mkaye asked about,
>> which wouldn't change the default path.
>
> Sorry, but OpenOffice doesn't changes the default path.
Are you saying v4.x works different than 3.x when using 'save as' to
write files to external media,
and that the next time one saves or opens a file, it points at the
working directory, not external
media.  If so, how does one change where the working directory is?
> It saves only the 10 most recently used documents.
Recently used documents in 3.3, include pointers to where they reside.
Open and save uses the path to the
last directory a file was opened in or saved to. After writing a file to
external media using 3.3,
all subsequent opens or saves, use that location, and the link to the
working directory
needs to be re-established. Does 4.x work differently? If so, please
explain. I'm still using 3.3 on my
old computer, haven't switched to the new one with 4.x yet.

> this means if you open a file from the recently used menu and you do a
> save as in another
directory it has now both files in the recently used menu.

That's true, the path is included in recently used, but the question is:
does 'save as' change the path open uses, and if so is there a way
  to write files to external media without doing so?

jrh

Re: non-techie's comment/question

Keith N. McKenna
On 2/24/2018 4:34 PM, John Hart wrote:

> On 2/24/2018 3:38 AM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>>> I'm using v3.3, and after saving it changed the path, which was
>>> annoying, and explains the need for the method Mkaye asked about,
>>> which wouldn't change the default path.
>>
>> Sorry, but OpenOffice doesn't changes the default path.
> Are you saying v4.x works different than 3.x when using 'save as' to
> write files to external media,
> and that the next time one saves or opens a file, it points at the
> working directory, not external
> media.  If so, how does one change where the working directory is?
>> It saves only the 10 most recently used documents.
> Recently used documents in 3.3, include pointers to where they reside.
> Open and save uses the path to the
> last directory a file was opened in or saved to. After writing a file to
> external media using 3.3,
> all subsequent opens or saves, use that location, and the link to the
> working directory
> needs to be re-established. Does 4.x work differently? If so, please
> explain. I'm still using 3.3 on my
> old computer, haven't switched to the new one with 4.x yet.
>
>> this means if you open a file from the recently used menu and you do a
>> save as in another
> directory it has now both files in the recently used menu.
>
> That's true, the path is included in recently used, but the question is:
> does 'save as' change the path open uses, and if so is there a way
>  to write files to external media without doing so?
>
> jrh

OpenOffice has always worked the way the Martin described. What you are
seeing with the open dialog is how your operating system works.
OpenOffice does not have control over that.

Regards
Keith

On 2/24/2018 3:32 PM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
> OpenOffice has always worked the way the Martin described. What you are
> seeing with the open dialog is how your operating system works.
> OpenOffice does not have control over that.
1. What does 'default path' mean in the statement:
    "OpenOffice doesn't changes the default path"?
2. Does OO or the OS control the 'default path'?
3. OO could save files anywhere a person wanted, regardless
    of the OS, without changing the 'default path'.
    I have written many programs that do, and assure you it's trivial.
4. A feature to allow writing a file to an external drive without
    changing the 'default path' would be easy to implement.
    It's what the original poster requested info on, and the reply
    'It works how it works get over it', isn't a good answer.
5. Rationalizing shortcomings by pretending people who expect
    more are incompetent, isn't good 'customer service'.

On 25/02/18 10:34 AM, John Hart wrote:
> On 2/24/2018 3:32 PM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>> OpenOffice has always worked the way the Martin described. What you are
>> seeing with the open dialog is how your operating system works.
>> OpenOffice does not have control over that.
> 1. What does 'default path' mean in the statement:
>    "OpenOffice doesn't changes the default path"?

The default path is set by your Operating System, which is basically the
last directory you used to save or open a document.
Blame Bill Gates.

> 2. Does OO or the OS control the 'default path'?

NO!

> 3. OO could save files anywhere a person wanted, regardless
>    of the OS, without changing the 'default path'.
>    I have written many programs that do, and assure you it's trivial.

If you have written many programs that do what you want, you should know
that you overruled the default of the Operating system.

> 4. A feature to allow writing a file to an external drive without
>    changing the 'default path' would be easy to implement.
>    It's what the original poster requested info on, and the reply
>    'It works how it works get over it', isn't a good answer.

You're correct the original poster want  something different as it works
at the moment.
So his question should go into the bug/rfe database, but he asked the
question on a user mailing list
and users can't change the program so expect answers like "It works how
it works" because user aren't daydreamers
they tell you how to deal with issues.

> 5. Rationalizing shortcomings by pretending people who expect
>    more are incompetent, isn't good 'customer service'.

Again, you are right this isn't good 'customer service', because in the
first place you're not a customer but a user
secondly we aren't a customer service department, we are just users like
you.

On 2/24/2018 9:58 PM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
> If you have written many programs that do what you want, you should
> know that you overruled the default of the Operating system.
In windows, every application has a default path,
and when a program directly writes something, it doesn't change
the path, only when an application opens or saves files using the OS,
and only for that application.

Many programs have multiple defaults, and when different applications
invoke them, they provide a different default path.

It's not a big problem, but I can see it could be annoying for someone
who uses OO 'save as' to copy files to external drives. I don't, I use
batch files, but was curious if 4.x had implemented it.

jrh

On 25/02/18 6:51 PM, John Hart wrote:
> On 2/24/2018 9:58 PM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>> If you have written many programs that do what you want, you should
>> know that you overruled the default of the Operating system.
> In windows, every application has a default path,
> and when a program directly writes something, it doesn't change
> the path, only when an application opens or saves files using the OS,
> and only for that application.

Probably I don't have every application, but the original poster said "I
guess I have to go back to MS".
Both MS Office and OpenOffice behave the same way when you use the save
as function.

> Many programs have multiple defaults, and when different applications
> invoke them, they provide a different default path.
>
> It's not a big problem, but I can see it could be annoying for someone
> who uses OO 'save as' to copy files to external drives.

OpenOffice is an Office application not a copy utility.