ooo-forums downtime

Chris Lambertus
Hi folks,

At 0100 UTC on Thursday January 4th, I will be moving the OpenOffice PHPBB forum databases to a new server. The forums will be offline during this process, and is expected to take about 2 hours.

-Chris
ASF Infra

Re: ooo-forums downtime

Andrea Pescetti-2
Chris Lambertus wrote:
> At 0100 UTC on Thursday January 4th, I will be moving the OpenOffice PHPBB forum databases to a new server.

Can you elaborate more, or tell us what the best place for further
discussions is?

This is good news in itself, but I believe I'm the only active project
member that worked on the old server in the past (and I haven't taken a
look at it in months) and if I remember correctly there are a few big
issues to keep in mind:

1. The application setup was definitely non-standard, especially the
multilingual setup; I guess you will simply keep this structure.

2. The server situation was not in great shape either, with possibly
some uncommitted things here and there.

3. The application state wasn't stable, meaning that a cache purging was
needed to apply CSS changes that had been done in code but were not
visible yet in the application.

Are all of these already been considered?

Will project members maintain their current access? If this is not
automatic (and I would understand it) please consider preserving my
access at least, as the only active project member that currently has
access.

Note that I did subscribe to
to follow the migration process but apparently the issue does not
contain anything beyond the initial work done by Gavin back in October.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: ooo-forums downtime

Chris Lambertus

> On Jan 1, 2018, at 2:46 PM, Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Chris Lambertus wrote:
>> At 0100 UTC on Thursday January 4th, I will be moving the OpenOffice PHPBB forum databases to a new server.
>
> Can you elaborate more, or tell us what the best place for further discussions is?

This is ONLY to move the back-end MySQL database onto a new box. The application server itself won’t be touched except for a one-line change in /var/lib/phpBB/com309/localDB.php to change the IP address of the MySQL back-end.  The software and server itself won’t be changed otherwise. There is still a project in the works to migrate and upgrade the machine as you stated in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-13281. That hasn’t changed, and is completely unrelated to the database move on Thursday. Gavin or someone else from the Infra team will be in communication with you once we are ready to move forward with that aspect of the system move.

-Chris

Re: ooo-forums downtime

Andrea Pescetti-2
Chris Lambertus wrote:
> This is ONLY to move the back-end MySQL database onto a new box.

Thanks for the explanation. Then this is indeed low-risk and the more
challenging tasks will come with

which I will continue to monitor.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: ooo-forums downtime

Chris Lambertus

> On Jan 1, 2018, at 2:24 PM, Chris Lambertus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> At 0100 UTC on Thursday January 4th, I will be moving the OpenOffice PHPBB forum databases to a new server. The forums will be offline during this process, and is expected to take about 2 hours.
>
> -Chris
> ASF Infra

Hi all,

This move has been completed. Spot checks on the forums look good.

-Chris

ooo-wiki downtime

Chris Lambertus

> On Jan 1, 2018, at 2:24 PM, Chris Lambertus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> At 0100 UTC on Thursday January 4th, I will be moving the OpenOffice PHPBB forum databases to a new server. The forums will be offline during this process, and is expected to take about 2 hours.

Hi folks,

We also need to perform this operation on the ooo-wiki site. This is only moving the MySQL database backend by updating the server IP in /x1/LocalDB.php. There will be no other changes to the application or app server. I will be performing this work tonight at 0100 UTC. The outage should be shorter as there is only one database that needs to move.

-Chris

Re: ooo-forums downtime

Hagar Delest-2

Since the move, we noticed that when performing an advanced search that should display the results as topics, then we get an error:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Expression #1 of ORDER BY clause is not in SELECT list, references column 'forumaoo_en.t.topic_last_post_time' which is not in SELECT list; this is incompatible with DISTINCT [3065]

SQL

SELECT DISTINCT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS t.topic_id FROM phpbb_en_topics t, phpbb_en_posts p WHERE MATCH (p.post_subject, p.post_text) AGAINST ('+solved ' IN BOOLEAN MODE) AND t.topic_id = p.topic_id ORDER BY t.topic_last_post_time DESC LIMIT 250

The same search is fine when set to display results as posts.

Could you have a look please?
Thanks

Hagar

Le 04/01/2018 à 03:30, Chris Lambertus a écrit :

>> On Jan 1, 2018, at 2:24 PM, Chris Lambertus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> At 0100 UTC on Thursday January 4th, I will be moving the OpenOffice PHPBB forum databases to a new server. The forums will be offline during this process, and is expected to take about 2 hours.
>>
>> -Chris
>> ASF Infra
>>

> Hi all,
>
> This move has been completed. Spot checks on the forums look good.
>
> -Chris

Re: ooo-forums downtime

Hagar Delest-2
Note: same for the other languages (Italian anf French tested).

The DISTINCT 3065 thing seems a common one:

In French forum:
Erreur générale
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Expression #1 of ORDER BY clause is not in SELECT list, references column 'forumaoo_fr.t.topic_last_post_time' which is not in SELECT list; this is incompatible with DISTINCT [3065]

And in Italian:
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Expression #1 of ORDER BY clause is not in SELECT list, references column 'forumaoo_it.t.topic_last_post_time' which is not in SELECT list; this is incompatible with DISTINCT [3065]

Hagar

Le 04/01/2018 à 21:33, Hagar Delest a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Since the move, we noticed that when performing an advanced search that should display the results as topics, then we get an error:
>
> General Error
> SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]
>
> Expression #1 of ORDER BY clause is not in SELECT list, references column 'forumaoo_en.t.topic_last_post_time' which is not in SELECT list; this is incompatible with DISTINCT [3065]
>
> SQL
>
> SELECT DISTINCT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS t.topic_id FROM phpbb_en_topics t, phpbb_en_posts p WHERE MATCH (p.post_subject, p.post_text) AGAINST ('+solved ' IN BOOLEAN MODE) AND t.topic_id = p.topic_id ORDER BY t.topic_last_post_time DESC LIMIT 250
>
> The same search is fine when set to display results as posts.
>
> Could you have a look please?
> Thanks
>
> Hagar
>

> Le 04/01/2018 à 03:30, Chris Lambertus a écrit :
>>> On Jan 1, 2018, at 2:24 PM, Chris Lambertus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> At 0100 UTC on Thursday January 4th, I will be moving the OpenOffice PHPBB forum databases to a new server. The forums will be offline during this process, and is expected to take about 2 hours.
>>>
>>> -Chris
>>> ASF Infra
>>>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> This move has been completed. Spot checks on the forums look good.
>>
>> -Chris

Re: ooo-forums downtime

Andrea Pescetti-2
CCing Chris for the two messages below. Maybe a SQL version issue?
Regards,
   Andrea.

On 04/01/2018 21:59, Hagar Delest wrote:

> Note: same for the other languages (Italian anf French tested).
>
> The DISTINCT 3065 thing seems a common one:
>
> In French forum:
> Erreur générale
> SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]
>
> Expression #1 of ORDER BY clause is not in SELECT list, references
> column 'forumaoo_fr.t.topic_last_post_time' which is not in SELECT list;
> this is incompatible with DISTINCT [3065]
>
> And in Italian:
> SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]
>
> Expression #1 of ORDER BY clause is not in SELECT list, references
> column 'forumaoo_it.t.topic_last_post_time' which is not in SELECT list;
> this is incompatible with DISTINCT [3065]
>
> Hagar
>

> Le 04/01/2018 à 21:33, Hagar Delest a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> Since the move, we noticed that when performing an advanced search
>> that should display the results as topics, then we get an error:
>>
>> General Error
>> SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]
>>
>> Expression #1 of ORDER BY clause is not in SELECT list, references
>> column 'forumaoo_en.t.topic_last_post_time' which is not in SELECT
>> list; this is incompatible with DISTINCT [3065]
>>
>> SQL
>>
>> SELECT DISTINCT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS t.topic_id FROM phpbb_en_topics t,
>> phpbb_en_posts p WHERE MATCH (p.post_subject, p.post_text) AGAINST
>> ('+solved ' IN BOOLEAN MODE) AND t.topic_id = p.topic_id ORDER BY
>> t.topic_last_post_time DESC LIMIT 250
>>
>> The same search is fine when set to display results as posts.
>>
>> Could you have a look please?
>> Thanks
>>
>> Hagar

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> This move has been completed. Spot checks on the forums look good.
>>>
>>> -Chris

Re: ooo-forums downtime

Chris Lambertus

There may not be anything we can do about this until phpBB is upgraded.

I put the wiki database move on hold until I can look into it more.

> On Jan 4, 2018, at 2:42 PM, Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> CCing Chris for the two messages below. Maybe a SQL version issue?
> Regards,
>  Andrea.
>
> On 04/01/2018 21:59, Hagar Delest wrote:
>> Note: same for the other languages (Italian anf French tested).
>>
>> The DISTINCT 3065 thing seems a common one:
>>
>> In French forum:
>> Erreur générale
>> SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]
>>
>> Expression #1 of ORDER BY clause is not in SELECT list, references
>> column 'forumaoo_fr.t.topic_last_post_time' which is not in SELECT list;
>> this is incompatible with DISTINCT [3065]
>>
>> And in Italian:
>> SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]
>>
>> Expression #1 of ORDER BY clause is not in SELECT list, references
>> column 'forumaoo_it.t.topic_last_post_time' which is not in SELECT list;
>> this is incompatible with DISTINCT [3065]
>>
>> Hagar
>>

>> Le 04/01/2018 à 21:33, Hagar Delest a écrit :
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Since the move, we noticed that when performing an advanced search
>>> that should display the results as topics, then we get an error:
>>>
>>> General Error
>>> SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]
>>>
>>> Expression #1 of ORDER BY clause is not in SELECT list, references
>>> column 'forumaoo_en.t.topic_last_post_time' which is not in SELECT
>>> list; this is incompatible with DISTINCT [3065]
>>>
>>> SQL
>>>
>>> SELECT DISTINCT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS t.topic_id FROM phpbb_en_topics t,
>>> phpbb_en_posts p WHERE MATCH (p.post_subject, p.post_text) AGAINST
>>> ('+solved ' IN BOOLEAN MODE) AND t.topic_id = p.topic_id ORDER BY
>>> t.topic_last_post_time DESC LIMIT 250
>>>
>>> The same search is fine when set to display results as posts.
>>>
>>> Could you have a look please?
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Hagar

Re: ooo-forums downtime

Chris Lambertus

I’ve pushed a change which fixes this on the database side. I also saw the email about the forum being down yesterday, but it was a transient problem. It would be helpful for me to know what the start time and duration was for any future reports of slowness or outages.

-Chris

> On Jan 4, 2018, at 5:49 PM, Chris Lambertus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> There may not be anything we can do about this until phpBB is upgraded.
>
> I put the wiki database move on hold until I can look into it more.
>

>> On Jan 4, 2018, at 2:42 PM, Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> CCing Chris for the two messages below. Maybe a SQL version issue?
>> Regards,
>> Andrea.
>>
>> On 04/01/2018 21:59, Hagar Delest wrote:
>>> Note: same for the other languages (Italian anf French tested).
>>>
>>> The DISTINCT 3065 thing seems a common one:
>>>
>>> In French forum:
>>> Erreur générale
>>> SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]
>>>
>>> Expression #1 of ORDER BY clause is not in SELECT list, references
>>> column 'forumaoo_fr.t.topic_last_post_time' which is not in SELECT list;
>>> this is incompatible with DISTINCT [3065]
>>>
>>> And in Italian:
>>> SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]
>>>
>>> Expression #1 of ORDER BY clause is not in SELECT list, references
>>> column 'forumaoo_it.t.topic_last_post_time' which is not in SELECT list;
>>> this is incompatible with DISTINCT [3065]
>>>
>>> Hagar

Re: ooo-forums downtime

FR web forum
I note that give you this information next time
Why these outages are not reported in http://status.apache.org

> I’ve pushed a change which fixes this on the database side. I also
> saw the email about the forum being down yesterday, but it was a
> transient problem. It would be helpful for me to know what the start
> time and duration was for any future reports of slowness or outages.
>
> -Chris
>

> > On Jan 4, 2018, at 5:49 PM, Chris Lambertus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > There may not be anything we can do about this until phpBB is
> > upgraded.
> >
> > I put the wiki database move on hold until I can look into it more.
> >

> >> On Jan 4, 2018, at 2:42 PM, Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> CCing Chris for the two messages below. Maybe a SQL version issue?
> >> Regards,
> >> Andrea.

Re: ooo-forums downtime

Greg Stein
status.apache.org reports services that are *down*, rather than individual
bugs/problems.

Thanks,
-g

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 2:03 AM, FR web forum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I note that give you this information next time
> Why these outages are not reported in http://status.apache.org

Re: ooo-forums downtime

sebb
However such things could (IMO should) be noted in upcoming
maintenance (i.e. scheduled downtime)

On 10 January 2018 at 09:53, Greg Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> status.apache.org reports services that are *down*, rather than individual
> bugs/problems.
>
> Thanks,
> -g
>
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 2:03 AM, FR web forum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I note that give you this information next time
>> Why these outages are not reported in http://status.apache.org

On 10/01/2018 Greg Stein wrote:> status.apache.org reports services that
are *down*, rather than individual
> bugs/problems.

Just to be clear, we had two different issues here:

1. Some advanced search options broke due to incompatibility with the
new SQL server (and this is fixed, which is great). This is indeed just
a bug.

2. Forum being offline (no DB connection, error on all pages). This is
equivalent to the service being down.

I wasn't able to see issue 2 either, so it probably lasted just for a
very short period. But I think we all agree that monitoring should catch
this, at least when it extends for several minutes (not necessarily this
case).

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: ooo-forums downtime

Chris Lambertus
All,

There is monitoring for ooo-forums. As I stated, this outage did not trip the monitors. The duration was likely too short. If the duration was noted to be longer than 5 minutes or so, it’s possible there is a problem with the monitoring that needs to be looked into, but when I took the forums down for the database move, the monitors did, in fact, work.

-Chris

> On Jan 10, 2018, at 9:48 AM, Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 10/01/2018 Greg Stein wrote:> status.apache.org reports services that are *down*, rather than individual
>> bugs/problems.
>
> Just to be clear, we had two different issues here:
>
> 1. Some advanced search options broke due to incompatibility with the new SQL server (and this is fixed, which is great). This is indeed just a bug.
>
> 2. Forum being offline (no DB connection, error on all pages). This is equivalent to the service being down.
>
> I wasn't able to see issue 2 either, so it probably lasted just for a very short period. But I think we all agree that monitoring should catch this, at least when it extends for several minutes (not necessarily this case).
>
> Regards,
>  Andrea.

Re: ooo-forums downtime

Hagar Delest-2

Thanks for the bug fix related to the search by topics, this is a great news.

The forum still lags compared to before the server switch.
Have tried to clean the cookies but no change.

Hagar

Le 10/01/2018 à 18:48, Andrea Pescetti a écrit :

> On 10/01/2018 Greg Stein wrote:> status.apache.org reports services that are *down*, rather than individual
>> bugs/problems.
>
> Just to be clear, we had two different issues here:
>
> 1. Some advanced search options broke due to incompatibility with the new SQL server (and this is fixed, which is great). This is indeed just a bug.
>
> 2. Forum being offline (no DB connection, error on all pages). This is equivalent to the service being down.
>
> I wasn't able to see issue 2 either, so it probably lasted just for a very short period. But I think we all agree that monitoring should catch this, at least when it extends for several minutes (not necessarily this case).
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Re: ooo-forums downtime

Chris Lambertus
Unfortunately, some slowdowns are inevitable. We cannot keep the old database hardware alive, and this is a necessary transition step until we can move the ooo-forums phpBB software to a new host.