open office reinstall - lost to computer repair

open office reinstall - lost to computer repair

susan leelike
[hidden email]

When my computer was repaired a new drive was installed

Not only did I lose my old gmail account

I also lost my PAID FOR open office program

All I want to do is reinstall it so I can get back to work

This is getting stupid

Re: open office reinstall - lost to computer repair

James Knott
You don't have to pay for OpenOffice.  It's a free download from
www.openoffice.org.  I don't know who you paid for OpenOffice, but there
are many who charge for what is a free download.  Some load it with
"crapware" or claim this user mail list is "support".  It's not.  We're
users, just like you.  However, we do try to help others.

On 02/04/2018 11:40 AM, susan leelike wrote:

> [hidden email]
>

> When my computer was repaired a new drive was installed
>
> Not only did I lose my old gmail account
>
> I also lost my PAID FOR open office program
>
> All I want to do is reinstall it so I can get back to work
>
> This is getting stupid

Re: open office reinstall - lost to computer repair

Rory O'Farrell

Download a legitimate copy free from www.openoffice.org/download/

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: open office reinstall - lost to computer repair

susan leelike
the free open office was available for many years
about a year ago the free version renewal suggested a fee (i'd have to look
at what it was, something like $25)
and over the years the program did change (as everything else does).
when my computer was repaired they not provide all of the programs i had on
it - adobe reader and open office
being two that i use a lot.
and since the last time i updated open office there was a fee, i do not
want to pay another fee to reinstall it.
every improvement of the computer takes me further out of the picture.  i
guess i am a true luddite and do not
find any robotic improvements to be beneficial to humans.

SO HERE'S THE QUESTION
i just want to reinstall open office
where do i go
what do i do
i am a hater of apps, twitter and all of that
i am also 80

thanks

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 12:18 PM, James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You don't have to pay for OpenOffice.  It's a free download from
> www.openoffice.org.  I don't know who you paid for OpenOffice, but there
> are many who charge for what is a free download.  Some load it with
> "crapware" or claim this user mail list is "support".  It's not.  We're
> users, just like you.  However, we do try to help others.
>

> On 02/04/2018 11:40 AM, susan leelike wrote:
> > [hidden email]
> >

> > When my computer was repaired a new drive was installed
> >
> > Not only did I lose my old gmail account
> >
> > I also lost my PAID FOR open office program
> >
> > All I want to do is reinstall it so I can get back to work
> >
> > This is getting stupid
> >

> > [hidden email]

Re: open office reinstall - lost to computer repair

James Knott
As I mentioned, just go to www.openoffice.org and download for free.  I
have no idea where that fee suggestion came from, as I've never seen it.

On 02/04/2018 12:43 PM, susan leelike wrote:

> the free open office was available for many years
> about a year ago the free version renewal suggested a fee (i'd have to look
> at what it was, something like $25)
> and over the years the program did change (as everything else does).
> when my computer was repaired they not provide all of the programs i had on
> it - adobe reader and open office
> being two that i use a lot.
> and since the last time i updated open office there was a fee, i do not
> want to pay another fee to reinstall it.
> every improvement of the computer takes me further out of the picture.  i
> guess i am a true luddite and do not
> find any robotic improvements to be beneficial to humans.
>
> SO HERE'S THE QUESTION
> i just want to reinstall open office
> where do i go
> what do i do
> i am a hater of apps, twitter and all of that
> i am also 80
>
> thanks
>
> On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 12:18 PM, James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> You don't have to pay for OpenOffice.  It's a free download from
>> www.openoffice.org.  I don't know who you paid for OpenOffice, but there
>> are many who charge for what is a free download.  Some load it with
>> "crapware" or claim this user mail list is "support".  It's not.  We're
>> users, just like you.  However, we do try to help others.
>>

>> On 02/04/2018 11:40 AM, susan leelike wrote:
>>> [hidden email]
>>>

>>> When my computer was repaired a new drive was installed
>>>
>>> Not only did I lose my old gmail account
>>>
>>> I also lost my PAID FOR open office program
>>>
>>> All I want to do is reinstall it so I can get back to work
>>>
>>> This is getting stupid
>>>

>>> [hidden email]

Re: open office reinstall - lost to computer repair

susan leelike
i have am going to try and install it with the new link you sent
thank you
you have to know that
you know what you are doing
and i do not
computers used to speak english (DOS)
it was simplier to use
thanks

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 12:47 PM, James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As I mentioned, just go to www.openoffice.org and download for free.  I
> have no idea where that fee suggestion came from, as I've never seen it.
>

> On 02/04/2018 12:43 PM, susan leelike wrote:
> > the free open office was available for many years
> > about a year ago the free version renewal suggested a fee (i'd have to
> look
> > at what it was, something like $25)
> > and over the years the program did change (as everything else does).
> > when my computer was repaired they not provide all of the programs i had
> on
> > it - adobe reader and open office
> > being two that i use a lot.
> > and since the last time i updated open office there was a fee, i do not
> > want to pay another fee to reinstall it.
> > every improvement of the computer takes me further out of the picture.  i
> > guess i am a true luddite and do not
> > find any robotic improvements to be beneficial to humans.
> >
> > SO HERE'S THE QUESTION
> > i just want to reinstall open office
> > where do i go
> > what do i do
> > i am a hater of apps, twitter and all of that
> > i am also 80
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 12:18 PM, James Knott <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> You don't have to pay for OpenOffice.  It's a free download from
> >> www.openoffice.org.  I don't know who you paid for OpenOffice, but
> there
> >> are many who charge for what is a free download.  Some load it with
> >> "crapware" or claim this user mail list is "support".  It's not.  We're
> >> users, just like you.  However, we do try to help others.

Re: open office reinstall - lost to computer repair

susan leelike
OpenOffice” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.
OpenOffice” is on the disk image
“Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.5_MacOS_x86-64_install_en-US.dmg”. Firefox
downloaded this disk image today at 12:50 PM from sourceforge.net.

THIS IS FROM THE LINK YOU JUST SENT

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 12:57 PM, susan leelike <[hidden email]> wrote:

> i have am going to try and install it with the new link you sent
> thank you
> you have to know that
> you know what you are doing
> and i do not
> computers used to speak english (DOS)
> it was simplier to use
> thanks
>
> On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 12:47 PM, James Knott <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> As I mentioned, just go to www.openoffice.org and download for free.  I
>> have no idea where that fee suggestion came from, as I've never seen it.
>>

>> On 02/04/2018 12:43 PM, susan leelike wrote:
>> > the free open office was available for many years
>> > about a year ago the free version renewal suggested a fee (i'd have to
>> look
>> > at what it was, something like $25)
>> > and over the years the program did change (as everything else does).
>> > when my computer was repaired they not provide all of the programs i
>> had on
>> > it - adobe reader and open office
>> > being two that i use a lot.
>> > and since the last time i updated open office there was a fee, i do not
>> > want to pay another fee to reinstall it.
>> > every improvement of the computer takes me further out of the picture.
>> > guess i am a true luddite and do not
>> > find any robotic improvements to be beneficial to humans.
>> >
>> > SO HERE'S THE QUESTION
>> > i just want to reinstall open office
>> > where do i go
>> > what do i do
>> > i am a hater of apps, twitter and all of that
>> > i am also 80
>> >
>> > thanks

>> there

Re: open office reinstall - lost to computer repair

James Knott
Installing it on a Mac requires additional steps.  I don't have a Mac,
so I can't advise on that.  However, someone else here should be able to
help.

On 02/04/2018 12:59 PM, susan leelike wrote:

> OpenOffice” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.
> OpenOffice” is on the disk image
> “Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.5_MacOS_x86-64_install_en-US.dmg”. Firefox
> downloaded this disk image today at 12:50 PM from sourceforge.net.
>
> THIS IS FROM THE LINK YOU JUST SENT
>
> On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 12:57 PM, susan leelike <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> i have am going to try and install it with the new link you sent
>> thank you
>> you have to know that
>> you know what you are doing
>> and i do not
>> computers used to speak english (DOS)
>> it was simplier to use
>> thanks
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 12:47 PM, James Knott <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> As I mentioned, just go to www.openoffice.org and download for free.  I
>>> have no idea where that fee suggestion came from, as I've never seen it.

>>> look
>>> had on

>>> there

Re: open office reinstall - lost to computer repair

Rory O'Farrell
On Sun, 4 Feb 2018 13:21:14 -0500
James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Installing it on a Mac requires additional steps.  I don't have a Mac,
> so I can't advise on that.  However, someone else here should be able to
> help.

This is caused by Apple Gatekeepe. Details are at
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491
You have to tell GateKeeper to trust this application and permit it to install.

> On 02/04/2018 12:59 PM, susan leelike wrote:
> > OpenOffice” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.
> > OpenOffice” is on the disk image
> > “Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.5_MacOS_x86-64_install_en-US.dmg”. Firefox
> > downloaded this disk image today at 12:50 PM from sourceforge.net.
> >
> > THIS IS FROM THE LINK YOU JUST SENT
> >
> > On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 12:57 PM, susan leelike <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> i have am going to try and install it with the new link you sent
> >> thank you
> >> you have to know that
> >> you know what you are doing
> >> and i do not
> >> computers used to speak english (DOS)
> >> it was simplier to use
> >> thanks

Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: open office reinstall - lost to computer repair

Bill Arsenault
Or go to System Preferences, Security and Privacy, Allow apps downloaded from:, and select Anywhere. Then do the installation and then change the Alllow apps downloaded from setting back to your setting before the installation.

On Feb 4, 2018, at 8:29 AM, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sun, 4 Feb 2018 13:21:14 -0500
James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Installing it on a Mac requires additional steps.  I don't have a Mac,
> so I can't advise on that.  However, someone else here should be able to
> help.

This is caused by Apple Gatekeepe. Details are at
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491
You have to tell GateKeeper to trust this application and permit it to install.

> On 02/04/2018 12:59 PM, susan leelike wrote:
>> OpenOffice” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.
>> OpenOffice” is on the disk image
>> “Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.5_MacOS_x86-64_install_en-US.dmg”. Firefox
>> downloaded this disk image today at 12:50 PM from sourceforge.net.
>>
>> THIS IS FROM THE LINK YOU JUST SENT
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 12:57 PM, susan leelike <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> i have am going to try and install it with the new link you sent
>>> thank you
>>> you have to know that
>>> you know what you are doing
>>> and i do not
>>> computers used to speak english (DOS)
>>> it was simplier to use
>>> thanks

Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: open office reinstall - lost to computer repair

Girvin Herr-2
James,

IIRC, AOO once did pop up a message about donating to the cause before
downloading. It could be ignored or bypassed, but it could be confusing
for some users. I now see that that message, since going to Sourceforge,
is no longer there. That could be what the OP is talking about.

Girvin Herr

On 02/04/2018 09:47 AM, James Knott wrote:

> As I mentioned, just go to www.openoffice.org and download for free.  I
> have no idea where that fee suggestion came from, as I've never seen it.
>

> On 02/04/2018 12:43 PM, susan leelike wrote:
>> the free open office was available for many years
>> about a year ago the free version renewal suggested a fee (i'd have to look
>> at what it was, something like $25)
>> and over the years the program did change (as everything else does).
>> when my computer was repaired they not provide all of the programs i had on
>> it - adobe reader and open office
>> being two that i use a lot.
>> and since the last time i updated open office there was a fee, i do not
>> want to pay another fee to reinstall it.
>> every improvement of the computer takes me further out of the picture.  i
>> guess i am a true luddite and do not
>> find any robotic improvements to be beneficial to humans.
>>
>> SO HERE'S THE QUESTION
>> i just want to reinstall open office
>> where do i go
>> what do i do
>> i am a hater of apps, twitter and all of that
>> i am also 80
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 12:18 PM, James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> You don't have to pay for OpenOffice.  It's a free download from
>>> www.openoffice.org.  I don't know who you paid for OpenOffice, but there
>>> are many who charge for what is a free download.  Some load it with
>>> "crapware" or claim this user mail list is "support".  It's not.  We're
>>> users, just like you.  However, we do try to help others.

Re: open office reinstall - lost to computer repair

Keith N. McKenna
On 2/4/2018 12:59 PM, susan leelike wrote:
> OpenOffice” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.
> OpenOffice” is on the disk image
> “Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.5_MacOS_x86-64_install_en-US.dmg”. Firefox
> downloaded this disk image today at 12:50 PM from sourceforge.net.
>
> THIS IS FROM THE LINK YOU JUST SENT
Susan;
This is a known issue with macOS the solution is the first entry under
Known Issues in the Release Notes at the following link:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.5+Release+Notes#AOO4.1.5ReleaseNotes-KnownIssues

Regards
Keith
<snip>

Re: open office reinstall - lost to computer repair

Larry Gusaas-4
The last two versions of macOS do not have that option. Go to the known issues in the release
notes for the correct procedure.

On 2018-02-04, 12:43 PM Bill Arsenault wrote concerning "Re: open office reinstall - lost to
computer repair":

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: open office reinstall - lost to computer repair

Andrea Pescetti-2
Girvin Herr wrote:
> IIRC, AOO once did pop up a message about donating to the cause before
> downloading.

This was never the case. Apache OpenOffice NEVER solicited donations in
an obtrusive way. There is a Donate link on the website, and occasional
it is given some more visibility, but that's all. No pop-ups, no
interference with the download process.

> I now see that that message, since going to Sourceforge,
> is no longer there.

Apache OpenOffice downloads have been always hosted at SourceForge, as a
reinforcement that Apache OpenOffice never had a donations popup. It
must have been some other software.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: open office reinstall - lost to computer repair

Girvin Herr-2

Andrea,
Must have been. You are most likely correct. I did prefix my assertion
with "IIRC" after all. I am probably mixing up AOO with LibreOffice or
maybe OO before Apache.
Thanks for clearing that misperception up.
Girvin