open office software SPREADSHEETS

John Clipper
I will gladly pay for help.

nearly 2 hours spent on -

1. How to sign on to a Forum in order to ask  a question on Forum re spreadsheets. No success.

2. found some “answers”. without signing on. See #1

3. The question was about how to sort data in Col A

4. I have used other features with success.

J.Clipper

Re: open office software SPREADSHEETS

David Belina-2
Wiki.openoffice.org has this:

The first step in sorting data is to select the data that you want to sort. To sort the data in Table 1, select the cells from A1 to G16—if you include the column headers, indicate this in the sort dialog. Use Data > Sort to open the Sort dialog. You can sort by up to three columns or rows at a time.

the link is:

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/Calc_Guide

how to sort data in Col A

Re: open office software SPREADSHEETS

Steven Ahlers
In the Data drop down menu choose:

1) Define Range: give it a one word name, in the Range box specify the first and last cells
2) Select Range: choose a named range
3) Sort: Options tab—allows you to select options
                 Sort Criteria—allows you to choose column(s) to sort on and order in each column

If it produces something you don’t like go to Edit drop down and Undo Sort

This may seem works for simple lists or multi column databases as long as you define the range correctly.

Please reply to the users list: [hidden email]
so that all users can assist you if you have any further questions.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 24, 2019, at 9:29 AM, John Clipper <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I will gladly pay for help.
>
> nearly 2 hours spent on -
>
> 1. How to sign on to a Forum in order to ask  a question on Forum re spreadsheets. No success.
>
> 2. found some “answers”. without signing on. See #1
>
> 3. The question was about how to sort data in Col A
>
> 4. I have used other features with success.
>
> J.Clipper

Re: open office software SPREADSHEETS

Alan Boba-2
Do you want to sort data in column A -or- sort entire rows using column A
to order the rows?

The two operations produce different results.

I posted a video on YouTube ages ago showing these operations. The
interface is changed a bit since but the ideas, select what you want to
sort, then sort, haven't changed.

If you want a look, check here... Sorting a table in a spreadsheet,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjTgDyNqqQY

If it doesn't address your issue, post back with a bit more detail.

Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011

Re: open office software SPREADSHEETS

John Clipper
Dear David,

I have been to the link you provided via Google . No mention of SORT.

Also I have never seen the TABLE 1 title appear on a spreadsheet. Perhaps it’s from an older version.

I am now  going to check out Alan’s  utube presentation.

Thanks

> On Oct 24, 2019, at 5:11 PM, David Belina <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Wiki.openoffice.org has this:
>
> The first step in sorting data is to select the data that you want to sort. To sort the data in Table 1, select the cells from A1 to G16—if you include the column headers, indicate this in the sort dialog. Use Data > Sort to open the Sort dialog. You can sort by up to three columns or rows at a time.
>
> the link is:
>
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/Calc_Guide
>
> On October 24, 2019 at 8:30:01 AM, John Clipper ([hidden email]) wrote:
>
> how to sort data in Col A

Re: open office software SPREADSHEETS

John Clipper
Dear Alan and David,

I finally got it.

I highlighted all the rows by scrolling from top to bottom in col A. Row numbers were highlighted.

Clicked on data-sort and voila, it worked.

Thanks for your patience.