open office

Christine Neumayer
I tried downloading open office and when I went to downloads the program is not there.  There was another place that was there to  find the download which required credit card.   The big question is why do you need a credit card # if there will never be any charges????
Thank you for you time.
Christine

Re: open office

Rory O'Farrell
On Mon, 4 Jan 2021 16:28:36 +0000 (UTC)
Christine Neumayer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried downloading open office and when I went to downloads the program is not there.  There was another place that was there to  find the download which required credit card.   The big question is why do you need a credit card # if there will never be any charges????
> Thank you for you time.
> Christine

OpenOffice may be downloaded free of charge from
www.openoffice.org/download/

This site will redirect you to a SourceForge server where the files are stored.  Your download will start in five seconds; there is no need to click on any other links.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: open office

Dave Fisher-2
We would like to review sites that may be abusing our users. Please provide the URL where you were asked for a credit card number.

Thanks,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 4, 2021, at 8:31 AM, Christine Neumayer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I tried downloading open office and when I went to downloads the program is not there.  There was another place that was there to  find the download which required credit card.   The big question is why do you need a credit card # if there will never be any charges????
> Thank you for you time.
> Christine

Re: open office

jd1008
Dear All,
I want to let you know that LibreOffice folks are in some way behind
this.
I have never seen links in google search that are from individuals
who are selling libreoffice, and asking the gullible users for their
credit cards. If YOU have seen such links, then I stand informed
(and corrected).

Regards,

JD

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 10:41 AM Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We would like to review sites that may be abusing our users. Please
> provide the URL where you were asked for a credit card number.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Jan 4, 2021, at 8:31 AM, Christine Neumayer
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I tried downloading open office and when I went to downloads the
> program is not there.  There was another place that was there to  find the
> download which required credit card.   The big question is why do you need
> a credit card # if there will never be any charges????
> > Thank you for you time.
> > Christine

Re: open office

Simon Phipps-4
Please don't make false accusations like this. TDF actively seeks and
challenges the scammers who try to rob people wanting to download
LibreOffice, but there are still plenty trying the scam and I was able to
easily find them in a Google search just now (although mercifully the first
serious one was on page 8 of the results).

S.

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 5:50 PM JD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear All,
> I want to let you know that LibreOffice folks are in some way behind
> this.
> I have never seen links in google search that are from individuals
> who are selling libreoffice, and asking the gullible users for their
> credit cards. If YOU have seen such links, then I stand informed
> (and corrected).
>
> Regards,
>
> JD

Re: open office

Moderator

Please provide evidence of your claim that "LibreOffice folks are in
some way behind this."

Otherwise, please stop using ASF mailing lists to spread malicious
unsubstantiated rumours.

On 04/01/2021 17:49, JD wrote:

> Dear All,
> I want to let you know that LibreOffice folks are in some way behind
> this.
> I have never seen links in google search that are from individuals
> who are selling libreoffice, and asking the gullible users for their
> credit cards. If YOU have seen such links, then I stand informed
> (and corrected).
>
> Regards,
>
> JD
>
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 10:41 AM Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> We would like to review sites that may be abusing our users. Please
>> provide the URL where you were asked for a credit card number.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dave
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Jan 4, 2021, at 8:31 AM, Christine Neumayer
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I tried downloading open office and when I went to downloads the
>> program is not there.  There was another place that was there to  find the
>> download which required credit card.   The big question is why do you need
>> a credit card # if there will never be any charges????
>>> Thank you for you time.
>>> Christine

Re: open office

Dave Fisher-2
There are individuals and companies that at one time provided CDs and DVDs for OpenOffice.org <http://openoffice.org/>. This was allowed by Sun Microsystems and Oracle Corp because that was considered a benefit to the community.

The TDF's LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice did not exist when this practice started well over 10 years ago.

What we are looking for are those that switched from providing a service of CDs and DVDs and now sell links to openoffice.org/download/ with support provided here by community volunteers. They may also repackage OpenOffice with malware and other “goodies”. We want to prevent abuse of the Apache OpenOffice trademarks.

IMO while the TDF has expressed interest in the OpenOffice brand in various ways there has never been a known abuse of the OpenOffice trademark. If one were reported I am confident that it would be accidental and cured quickly.

Regards,
Dave