open office writer

p s

open office writer

p s
All i want is open office calc. I want to delete writer and all its' bits and I do not want my files deleted. (most of which have been "grabbed" by "WRITER".
I can delete writer but do my files go with it?  If i delete it, and the files stay, will i be able to access them?
It is invasive. It has swallowed word pad. I like working with word pad.
Everything I do is taken over by writer. Then it is useless.

To do anything with a file, I must copy, then delete the empty writer file.
Post the file to Wordpad. Make the changes and save.
When I go back to the file, everything is changed.

Can you also tell me why it is so damn hard to get through to you people?
Just stick some people on the phone and let them ( the experts) direct an inquiry of whatever kind.
You have wasted months of my time.
cheers
Paul Spiers

Re: open office writer

Carl Marcum
Hello Paul,

What file format are you trying to open?  .odt .doc or docx?

Please see comments inline.

On 5/16/20 8:57 AM, p s wrote:
> All i want is open office calc. I want to delete writer and all its' bits and I do not want my files deleted. (most of which have been "grabbed" by "WRITER".
> I can delete writer but do my files go with it?  If i delete it, and the files stay, will i be able to access them?
> It is invasive. It has swallowed word pad. I like working with word pad.
> Everything I do is taken over by writer. Then it is useless.
No you can't delete the writer application from the office.
I'm not sure what you mean by "grabbed" by Writer.  I'm going to make an
assumption that you mean when you double-click on a file in your file
manager that it is opened by Writer instead of your preferred
application.  This is a function of your operating system that decides
which app is used to open a file type.
You haven't mentioned what operating system and version you are using so
I can't give you specific instructions on this OS setting.

> To do anything with a file, I must copy, then delete the empty writer file.
> Post the file to Wordpad. Make the changes and save.
> When I go back to the file, everything is changed.
Do you mean the Wordpad file is different than you saved it?

> Can you also tell me why it is so damn hard to get through to you people?
> Just stick some people on the phone and let them ( the experts) direct an inquiry of whatever kind.
You did just reach someone.
Just FYI, this is an open source project and everyone from the
developers to the users on this mailing list and the online forum are
volunteers.

> You have wasted months of my time.
> cheers
> Paul Spiers

Best regards,
Carl

Re: open office writer

Alan Boba-2
Paul,

There is no phone support. This mailing list is volunteer support. Having
said that, from your problem description, it seems likely if you
double-click one of the files you want to edit in Wordpad the file opens in
Writer instead.

If this is a fair description of the problem then, to correct it, you
must...
1. RIGHT-CLICK one of the files you would like to open in Worpad
2. on the menu that appears click the "Properties" item, usually the last
item on the menu
3.  click the "Change..." button
4. Find Wordpad in the list of apps (it may be necessary to click "more
apps" to see Wordpad in the list)
5. Click on Wordpad
6. Click the OK button
7. Click the next OK button

These steps will make Wordpad open this file and any other Wordpad file
when the file is double-clicked. It only needs to be done one time.

The above steps were written using Windows 10 as reference. Steps 1 & 2 are
consistent across all versions of Windows as far as I recall. From step 3
onward there may be slight differences depending the version of Windows.
Regardless, the requirement is the same. Change the program that opens the
file to Wordpad from whatever it is.

Two notes:
If/when you install OpenOffice again be mindful during the install for the
option to make OpenOffice the default program. Do not select this option
and it will not be necessary to perform the seven steps above, again, to
make Wordpad open your documents.

Uninstall Writer is not necessary. Very little disk space is recovered by
doing so and having it installed is not the root cause of the problem.

Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011

Re: open office writer

jonathon-3
On 5/16/20 12:57 PM, p s wrote:
> All i want is open office calc. I want to delete writer and all its' bits and I do not want my files deleted. (most of which have been "grabbed" by "WRITER".

Apache Open Office is works program.  This means that Calc, Writer,
Draw, Impress, and Math are built into it, and removing one component
would remove functionality from all components.

> It is invasive. It has swallowed word pad. I like working with word pad.

If Apache Open Office opens files that you would prefer to have opened
by WordPad, then reconfigure the operating system to do that.

> Can you also tell me why it is so damn hard to get through to you people?

Apache Open Office offers official support via a web forum
(https://forum.openoffice.org) and a mailing list (
[hidden email]). Support via IRC, Telegram, and similar
channels of communication is available, albeit as unofficial support.
These are the standard Tier Zero support channels.

> Just stick some people on the phone and let them ( the experts) direct an inquiry of whatever kind.

If you want phone support, then you need to purchase phone support from
a third party vendor. A list of vendors providing professional support
can be found at https://www.openoffice.org/bizdev/consultants.html

Phone support is a Tier One support channel, which, for most products
and services, requires one to specifically purchase.

jonathon

Re: open office writer

Carl Marcum
In case Paul is not subscribed to the list...