opening database

Seb-28
Hi,

How come clicking on a *.odb file in a file explorer (e.g. Dolphin)
opens directly without much fuss, but starting oobase and then clicking
on "Open" under "What do you want to do" tells me to go through the long
"Connect to an existing database" process?  The details I'm asked in the
latter are already in the file, so I don't understand why I'm asked to
go through this every time.  The "recently used" list appears to be
cleared every once in a while (perhaps during upgrades).

I'm using the Debian unstable packages.  Thanks.

--
Seb

Re: opening database

Frank Schönheit
Hi,

> How come clicking on a *.odb file in a file explorer (e.g. Dolphin)
> opens directly without much fuss, but starting oobase and then clicking
> on "Open" under "What do you want to do" tells me to go through the long
> "Connect to an existing database" process?  The details I'm asked in the
> latter are already in the file, so I don't understand why I'm asked to
> go through this every time.

The primary purpose of this wizard is to create a new .odb file. If you
want to open an existing one, you can use File/Open, or the "Open"
button in the wizard. If you want to re-open a recently used .odb file,
go to 'File/Recent Documents', or use the "Open an existing ..." option,
together with the drop down list: This list contains the same entries as
the "Recent Documents" sub menu, but the non-database files are stripped.

> The "recently used" list appears to be
> cleared every once in a while (perhaps during upgrades).

As documents vanish from the global "Recent Documents" list, they also
do so from the "recently used" list in the wizard, since the latter list
is a subset of the former.

Ciao
Frank

--
ORACLE
Frank Schönheit | Software Engineer | [hidden email]