organize/merge/deleted archives

Jonathon Blake
All:

I've got three archives of files that are roughly 40GB in size.
Some material is found in two, or all three archives.
Some material is not.

I'm using WinXP.
Does anybody have any suggestions on identifying and deleting
duplicate material, without having to manually check each and every
file?

xan

jonathon

Re: organize/merge/deleted archives

Paul
> All:
>
> I've got three archives of files that are roughly 40GB in size.
> Some material is found in two, or all three archives.
> Some material is not.
>
> I'm using WinXP.
> Does anybody have any suggestions on identifying and deleting
> duplicate material, without having to manually check each and every
> file?
>
> xan
>
> jonathon

There are some 'duplicate' file checkers which will scan directories (entire
disks as well) and suggest which can be deleted... They calculate
checksums/hash's of each file to identify if they are 'exactly' the same.
Some utilise byte checking but the one I used only did the former check.

I would google to find software that meets your needs.

If your meaning duplicate material within files (eg, two documents had the
same paragraph), then you'll need something more clever...

/paul

For those that love Pandora, but don't live in the USA :
http://globalpandora.com/

Re: organize/merge/deleted archives

The Janitor
29 May 2008 - 06:32 (where I live)
jonathon

Hello jonathon,

j> Does  anybody  have  any  suggestions  on  identifying and deleting
j> duplicate material, without having to manually check each and every
j> file?

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

might help.

--
Best regards,

The Janitor

mailto:[hidden email]

Flying with The Bat! Professional
version 4.0.7

Privileged and/or confidential information and/or copyright
material may be contained in this e-mail.If you are not the intended
recipient or the person responsible for delivering it to the intended
recipient you must not copy it,deliver it to anyone else or use it in
anyway whatsoever.To do so is prohibited and may be unlawful.
Instead, kindly destroy this message and notify the sender by reply
e-mail.

Fe all fod gwybodaeth freiniol a/neu gyfrinachol a/neu
ddeunydd dan amodau hawlfraint y neges e-bost yma.
Os nad y chi sydd i fod gael y neges, neu'r un sy'n gyfrifol
am ei throsglwyddo, rhaid i chi beidio a'i chopio na'i
throsglwyddo i neb un arall na'i defnyddio mewn unrhyw fodd o gwbl.
Mae gwaharddiad ar i chi wneud hynny ac efallai y byddech chi'n
torri'r gyfraith trwy wneud hynny. Dinistriwch y neges yma ac
anfonwch neges e-bost at y sawl a'i hanfonodd i roi gwybod iddo fe.

The author recommends NOD32 (www.eset.com) as the most
effective and efficient anti-virus software.

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 10:34 PM, The Janitor wrote:
> http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

Thanks.

xan

jonathon