pagination

Leslie Fink
I work on a Mac and recently upgraded from 10.5 to 10.11 (operating system - Le Capitain). I was using Microsoft Word for Mac but the learning curve was proving very difficult and time-consuming. It was suggested I install Apache Open Office. I create  large documents for clients, and previously I was set up for autofill pagination. No page 1, but automatically page 2, 3 and so on. This has disappeared.

Can you please tell me how I can set up this automatic pagination ? It’s always been in the header, centre, at the top of the page.

I look forward to your response. I’ve got deadlines to meet.

Leslie Fink

705 294 5200

Re: pagination

Martin Groenescheij

On 28/05/17 2:52 AM, Leslie Fink wrote:
> I work on a Mac and recently upgraded from 10.5 to 10.11 (operating system - Le Capitain). I was using Microsoft Word for Mac but the learning curve was proving very difficult and time-consuming. It was suggested I install Apache Open Office. I create  large documents for clients, and previously I was set up for autofill pagination. No page 1, but automatically page 2, 3 and so on. This has disappeared.
>
> Can you please tell me how I can set up this automatic pagination ? It’s always been in the header, centre, at the top of the page.

Go to Insert -> Header once the Header is inserted place your mouse
inside the Header and go to Insert -> Fields -> Page Number
If you double click the page number it opens a menu where you can set
the number format, at the bottom you see a field to set the Offset
f you set this to -1 it start numbering page two as 1 etc.

> I look forward to your response. I’ve got deadlines to meet.
>
> Leslie Fink
>
> 705 294 5200

Re: pagination

Leslie Fink
Thank you for your response to my inquiry.

> On May 28, 2017, at 7:22 AM, Martin Groenescheij <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 28/05/17 2:52 AM, Leslie Fink wrote:
>> I work on a Mac and recently upgraded from 10.5 to 10.11 (operating system - Le Capitain). I was using Microsoft Word for Mac but the learning curve was proving very difficult and time-consuming. It was suggested I install Apache Open Office. I create  large documents for clients, and previously I was set up for autofill pagination. No page 1, but automatically page 2, 3 and so on. This has disappeared.
>>
>> Can you please tell me how I can set up this automatic pagination ? It’s always been in the header, centre, at the top of the page.
>
> Go to Insert -> Header once the Header is inserted place your mouse inside the Header and go to Insert -> Fields -> Page Number
> If you double click the page number it opens a menu where you can set the number format, at the bottom you see a field to set the Offset
> f you set this to -1 it start numbering page two as 1 etc.
>

>> I look forward to your response. I’ve got deadlines to meet.
>>
>> Leslie Fink
>>
>> 705 294 5200
>>
>> [hidden email]

Re: pagination

Girvin Herr-2

On 05/28/2017 04:22 AM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:

> On 28/05/17 2:52 AM, Leslie Fink wrote:
>> I work on a Mac and recently upgraded from 10.5 to 10.11 (operating
>> system - Le Capitain). I was using Microsoft Word for Mac but the
>> learning curve was proving very difficult and time-consuming. It was
>> suggested I install Apache Open Office. I create  large documents for
>> clients, and previously I was set up for autofill pagination. No page
>> 1, but automatically page 2, 3 and so on. This has disappeared.
>>
>> Can you please tell me how I can set up this automatic pagination ?
>> It’s always been in the header, centre, at the top of the page.
>
> Go to Insert -> Header once the Header is inserted place your mouse
> inside the Header and go to Insert -> Fields -> Page Number
> If you double click the page number it opens a menu where you can set
> the number format, at the bottom you see a field to set the Offset
> f you set this to -1 it start numbering page two as 1 etc.

Martin,
AOO 4.1.3; Slackware Linux 14.2.
I don't use a Mac, but when I use your process, and I change anything in
the popup menu and return, the page number disappears and only the grey
field indicator remains.  Bug?
Girvin Herr

Re: Pagination

Brian Barker
At 14:38 28/05/2017 -0700, Girvin Herr wrote:

>On 05/28/2017 04:22 AM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>>Go to Insert -> Header once the Header is inserted place your mouse
>>inside the Header and go to Insert -> Fields -> Page Number. If you
>>double click the page number it opens a menu where you can set the
>>number format, at the bottom you see a field to set the Offset. If
>>you set this to -1 it start numbering page two as 1 etc.
>
>Martin,
>AOO 4.1.3; Slackware Linux 14.2.
>I don't use a Mac, but when I use your process, and I change
>anything in the popup menu and return, the page number disappears
>and only the grey field indicator remains. Bug?

If you set the offset to -1 as suggested, the second page - if you
get that far - should display page number 1, as claimed. The first
page still has the field, but does indeed show no page number. But
what would you have it do? Surely you don't want a page zero? I don't
see that as a bug.

If you want page numbers to show as greater values than their natural
sequence, you will want to set a positive offset. If you do that,
early page numbers show as expected, but no number is shown where the
offset page number would be greater than the actual number of pages
in the document. For example, if you have five pages and use an
offset of (plus) 2, the pages are numbered 3, 4, and 5 - as expected
- but the last two pages are not numbered at all. You might consider
that a bug.

A more reliable way to have page numbers offset positively is to use
"Change page number" when inserting a manual page break - as you
would often wish to do anyway after a front page or after multiple
pages of front matter. You can restart numbering at any positive,
non-zero value, and the problem described above does not occur: page
numbers can appear that exceed the actual number of pages in the document.

(Interesting though this is, it is actually tangential to the
original query, which was just about suppressing the number on the
first page but having page numbering thereafter following the actual
page number - so starting with "2" on page two.)

Brian Barker

Re: pagination

Rory O'Farrell

> > On 28/05/17 2:52 AM, Leslie Fink wrote:
> >> I work on a Mac and recently upgraded from 10.5 to 10.11 (operating system - Le Capitain). I was using Microsoft Word for Mac but the learning curve was proving very difficult and time-consuming. It was suggested I install Apache Open Office. I create  large documents for clients, and previously I was set up for autofill pagination. No page 1, but automatically page 2, 3 and so on. This has disappeared.
> >>
> >> Can you please tell me how I can set up this automatic pagination ? It’s always been in the header, centre, at the top of the page.
> >>
> >> I look forward to your response. I’ve got deadlines to meet.
> >>
> >> Leslie Fink
> >>
> >> 705 294 5200
> >>
> >> [hidden email]

Pagination in Writer is covered in this Tutorial:
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=1221

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Pagination

Girvin Herr-2

On 05/28/2017 04:04 PM, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 14:38 28/05/2017 -0700, Girvin Herr wrote:
>> On 05/28/2017 04:22 AM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>>> Go to Insert -> Header once the Header is inserted place your mouse
>>> inside the Header and go to Insert -> Fields -> Page Number. If you
>>> double click the page number it opens a menu where you can set the
>>> number format, at the bottom you see a field to set the Offset. If
>>> you set this to -1 it start numbering page two as 1 etc.
>>
>> Martin,
>> AOO 4.1.3; Slackware Linux 14.2.
>> I don't use a Mac, but when I use your process, and I change anything
>> in the popup menu and return, the page number disappears and only the
>> grey field indicator remains. Bug?
>
> If you set the offset to -1 as suggested, the second page - if you get
> that far - should display page number 1, as claimed. The first page
> still has the field, but does indeed show no page number. But what
> would you have it do? Surely you don't want a page zero? I don't see
> that as a bug.
>
> If you want page numbers to show as greater values than their natural
> sequence, you will want to set a positive offset. If you do that,
> early page numbers show as expected, but no number is shown where the
> offset page number would be greater than the actual number of pages in
> the document. For example, if you have five pages and use an offset of
> (plus) 2, the pages are numbered 3, 4, and 5 - as expected - but the
> last two pages are not numbered at all. You might consider that a bug.
>
> A more reliable way to have page numbers offset positively is to use
> "Change page number" when inserting a manual page break - as you would
> often wish to do anyway after a front page or after multiple pages of
> front matter. You can restart numbering at any positive, non-zero
> value, and the problem described above does not occur: page numbers
> can appear that exceed the actual number of pages in the document.
>
> (Interesting though this is, it is actually tangential to the original
> query, which was just about suppressing the number on the first page
> but having page numbering thereafter following the actual page number
> - so starting with "2" on page two.)
>
> Brian Barker

Brian,
Thanks for the info.  I now see that I was trying to use the "offset"
incorrectly.  I do use the page break page number start feature
regularly.  I was just thinking that the offset feature may be another
option.  It does not seem to work the way I thought it would.
Thanks again.
Girvin