piece of crap word processor

12

piece of crap word processor

Alex Nyunt
Thanks a lot, your piece of crap word processor apparently does not auto
save and it does not recover documents.  As I was writing a paper for
school, your awesome program crashed, thereby losing half my work.  Thank
you.  I didn't really want to write that paper anyway, and now it's all gone
so thank you.  I don't really want to have a college degree, I would rather
live like a bum, under an overpass, smelling eternally of whiskey and piss.
And now, thanks to your no good garbage word processor, that dream can now
be a reality.

Thanks for nothing.  I hate your face.

Re: piece of crap word processor

Ugly Person

> Thanks a lot, your piece of crap word processor apparently does not auto
> save and it does not recover documents.  As I was writing a paper for
> school, your awesome program crashed, thereby losing half my work.  Thank
> you.  I didn't really want to write that paper anyway, and now it's all
gone
> so thank you.  I don't really want to have a college degree, I would
rather
> live like a bum, under an overpass, smelling eternally of whiskey and
piss.
> And now, thanks to your no good garbage word processor, that dream can now
> be a reality.
>
> Thanks for nothing.  I hate your face.

I'm used to people hating my face so I'm not shocked or anything.
I am also one of the klutziest users around with a pathetic memory (due to a
life long disability) so if a program DOES work, then leave it to me to mess
it up.
However, I can't say this for OOo Writer.
True I'm one of those oddballs that likes Clippy and misses his presence,
but I do like OOo.
I find it auto-saves for me just fine.  Because I'm running on a Microsoft
Windoze environment, I have had this Hex-Box ('hex' as in 'curse') crash on
me many times.
I have found that OOo does a pretty darn good job at recovering my
documents.

Nevertheless, anyone who's been around computers as long as I have knows
fully well (we're talking 29 years this month), save your document often.
Don't wait for "auto save" to kick in.
Oh, I hope you have realized that you  can set the time intervals for how
often you want your file saved. I gernally ask it to be saved every five
minutes.

As for your dream becoming a reality.... well.... perhaps those who took an
active role in programming are all to glad to help.
College is over rated anyhow.

-Sean

PS Where I come from, college doesn't offer degrees; that honour is reserved
for universities.

Re: piece of crap word processor

Anon-33
On 9 Jan 2010 at 14:25, Alex Nyunt wrote:

> Thanks a lot, your piece of crap word processor apparently does not auto
> save and it does not recover documents.  As I was writing a paper for
> school, your awesome program crashed, thereby losing half my work.  Thank
> you.  I didn't really want to write that paper anyway, and now it's all gone
> so thank you.  I don't really want to have a college degree, I would rather
> live like a bum, under an overpass, smelling eternally of whiskey and piss.
> And now, thanks to your no good garbage word processor, that dream can now
> be a reality.
>
> Thanks for nothing.  I hate your face.

Sorry to hear about your experience.  OpenOffice.org does autosave
and does recover documents.  Go to Tools > Options > Load/Save >
General and make sure the option 'Save Autorecovery information..'
is set and to a suitable time interval.  It is normally set to 15 mins in a
default installation.

Re: piece of crap word processor

Tomas Lanczos
On Sat, 2010-01-09 at 14:25 -0500, Alex Nyunt wrote:

> Thanks a lot, your piece of crap word processor apparently does not auto
> save and it does not recover documents.  As I was writing a paper for
> school, your awesome program crashed, thereby losing half my work.  Thank
> you.  I didn't really want to write that paper anyway, and now it's all gone
> so thank you.  I don't really want to have a college degree, I would rather
> live like a bum, under an overpass, smelling eternally of whiskey and piss.
> And now, thanks to your no good garbage word processor, that dream can now
> be a reality.
>
> Thanks for nothing.  I hate your face.

Actually I found the the document recovery much more effective in OOo
than in MS Word, most of the users will agree with me. One of my very
best friend would advice You to try to fix Your problem - You will find
it easily somewhere between the keyboard and Your chair.

Have nice Day

Tomas

Re: piece of crap word processor

Matthew McGowen
On Jan 9, 2010, at 9:11 PM, Tomas Lanczos wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-01-09 at 14:25 -0500, Alex Nyunt wrote:
>> Thanks a lot, your piece of crap word processor apparently does not
>> auto
>> save and it does not recover documents.  As I was writing a paper for
>> school, your awesome program crashed, thereby losing half my work.
>> Thank
>> you.  I didn't really want to write that paper anyway, and now it's
>> all gone
>> so thank you.  I don't really want to have a college degree, I
>> would rather
>> live like a bum, under an overpass, smelling eternally of whiskey
>> and piss.
>> And now, thanks to your no good garbage word processor, that dream
>> can now
>> be a reality.
>>
>> Thanks for nothing.  I hate your face.
>
> Actually I found the the document recovery much more effective in OOo
> than in MS Word, most of the users will agree with me. One of my very
> best friend would advice You to try to fix Your problem - You will
> find
> it easily somewhere between the keyboard and Your chair.
>
> Have nice Day
>
> Tomas

Well if that paper was for personal responsibility 101 I'd say you
weren't gonna pass anyway.

</$.02>
Matt

Re: piece of crap word processor

mike moller
Well Alex you've documented here a whole list of things you don't want to be ...

It leaves me with the impression that your life's ambition is to be an
arsehole. Well I have news for you, you have already achieved that
ambition so clearly you have no need for word processors or anything
else

---
Mike Moller
Lallybroch Alpacas
New Zealand
www.lallybroch.co.nz

> On Sat, 2010-01-09 at 14:25 -0500, Alex Nyunt wrote:
> Thanks a lot, your piece of crap word processor apparently does not auto
> save and it does not recover documents.  As I was writing a paper for
> school, your awesome program crashed, thereby losing half my work.  Thank
> you.  I didn't really want to write that paper anyway, and now it's all gone
> so thank you.  I don't really want to have a college degree, I would rather
> live like a bum, under an overpass, smelling eternally of whiskey and piss.
> And now, thanks to your no good garbage word processor, that dream can now
> be a reality.
>
> Thanks for nothing.  I hate your face.

Re: piece of crap word processor

Bhargav Prasanna
2010/1/10 Alex Nyunt <[hidden email]>

> Thanks a lot, your piece of crap word processor apparently does not auto
> save and it does not recover documents.  As I was writing a paper for
> school, your awesome program crashed, thereby losing half my work.  Thank
> you.  I didn't really want to write that paper anyway, and now it's all
> gone
> so thank you.  I don't really want to have a college degree, I would rather
> live like a bum, under an overpass, smelling eternally of whiskey and piss.
> And now, thanks to your no good garbage word processor, that dream can now
> be a reality.
>
> Thanks for nothing.  I hate your face.

Don't consider this rude: You'll feel worse if you pay M$ for their program
(which is banned now anyway =P) and find that it crashes on you more often.
Writer is way better.

Bhargav Prasanna

Re: piece of crap word processor

Gordon Burgess-Parker-2
Alex Nyunt wrote:

> Thanks a lot, your piece of crap word processor apparently does not auto
> save and it does not recover documents.  As I was writing a paper for
> school, your awesome program crashed, thereby losing half my work.  Thank
> you.  I didn't really want to write that paper anyway, and now it's all gone
> so thank you.  I don't really want to have a college degree, I would rather
> live like a bum, under an overpass, smelling eternally of whiskey and piss.
> And now, thanks to your no good garbage word processor, that dream can now
> be a reality.
>
> Thanks for nothing.  I hate your face.

So you don't SAVE or BACKUP any of YOUR documents?
Then you deserve all you get.
And what makes you think that MS Word would act any differently?

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Say No to OOXML http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9594#mpart8

Re: piece of crap word processor

Brad Rogers
On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 14:25:59 -0500
Alex Nyunt <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Alex,

> Thanks a lot, your piece of crap word processor apparently does not

So, you didn't check for such a feature, then?  Without auto-save
enabled, why not simply hit the save button (or CTRL-S) every ten
minutes or so?

> auto save and it does not recover documents.  As I was writing a paper

It can and does recover documents.  Like any other program with an
auto-recovery feature, success depends on various factors.

> for school, your awesome program crashed, thereby losing half my
> work.  Thank

So, you decided to trust valuable work to a program you failed to fully
evaluate before using.  Wise, very wise.  Not.

I suggest that you're not angry at OOo at all, but at yourself for being
so monumentally stupid.

IF (which I suspect you're not) you're a college level student you
should be able to do the stuff outlined above without hand-holding.

No go away and lick your wounds in silence.  Idiot.

--
 Regards  _

You're only 29 got a lot to learn
Seventeen - Sex Pistols

Re: piece of crap word processor

Tony Pursell
Hi All

This person is not a subscribed user, so he will not see any mails just
sent to the list.  I have sent him a very matter-of-fact reply using an
anonymous ID.  I think that will tell him how silly he has been.  I dont
not think it helps to keep telling him that, or answering his abuse with
abuse from the list.

Anyway, he may just be a troll, in which case we don't want to spend
too much time on him.

Tony

On 10 Jan 2010 at 15:09, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 14:25:59 -0500
> Alex Nyunt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Alex,
>
> > Thanks a lot, your piece of crap word processor apparently does not
>
> So, you didn't check for such a feature, then?  Without auto-save
> enabled, why not simply hit the save button (or CTRL-S) every ten
> minutes or so?
>
> > auto save and it does not recover documents.  As I was writing a paper
>
> It can and does recover documents.  Like any other program with an
> auto-recovery feature, success depends on various factors.
>
> > for school, your awesome program crashed, thereby losing half my
> > work.  Thank
>
> So, you decided to trust valuable work to a program you failed to fully
> evaluate before using.  Wise, very wise.  Not.
>
> I suggest that you're not angry at OOo at all, but at yourself for being
> so monumentally stupid.
>
> IF (which I suspect you're not) you're a college level student you
> should be able to do the stuff outlined above without hand-holding.
>
> No go away and lick your wounds in silence.  Idiot.
>
> --
>  Regards  _
>          / )           "The blindingly obvious is
>         / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
>
> You're only 29 got a lot to learn
> Seventeen - Sex Pistols

Re: piece of crap word processor

Ugly Person

> This person is not a subscribed user, so he will not see any mails just
> sent to the list.  I have sent him a very matter-of-fact reply using an
> anonymous ID.  I think that will tell him how silly he has been.  I dont
> not think it helps to keep telling him that, or answering his abuse with
> abuse from the list.
>
> Anyway, he may just be a troll, in which case we don't want to spend
> too much time on him.

OK Tony. He may be a troll, but when even I can make heads and tails of a
program then you know anyone can use it if they give it a thought.
This includes OOo of course.  As I've said before, I run the latest greatest
(?) developer's builds with rarely a problem. Certainly the standard
releases will work for just about anyone with a little effort.

-Sean

On 10 Jan 2010 at 14:45, Sean wrote:

> [...]
I agree entirely with you, Sean. Trouble is, I think we spend to much
energy on responding to emails like this.

Tony

Re: piece of crap word processor

Michael Adams-2
On Sat, 2010-01-09 at 14:25 -0500, Alex Nyunt wrote:

> Thanks a lot, your piece of crap word processor apparently does not auto
> save and it does not recover documents.  As I was writing a paper for
> school, your awesome program crashed, thereby losing half my work.  Thank
> you.  I didn't really want to write that paper anyway, and now it's all gone
> so thank you.  I don't really want to have a college degree, I would rather
> live like a bum, under an overpass, smelling eternally of whiskey and piss.
> And now, thanks to your no good garbage word processor, that dream can now
> be a reality.
>
> Thanks for nothing.  I hate your face.

Quite plainly to your personal detriment you have let your frustration
boil over into anger in this email.

As Sean has pointed out OpenOffice.org has an autosave feature which is
automatically turned on when you install it IIUC, it also has an
autorecovery feature which works to recover from the most recent
autosave.

Good quality college grade work will not be completed in one sitting so
obviously you have previously saved this work. You should therefore be
able to recover an earlier version from your daily backups. Daily
backups are recommended by all OS and disk manufacturers. Important work
like this should at least be backed up to a flash stick.

What is most worrying at this juncture for you is that you have emailed
a mailing list of several hundred people ranting about OPenOffice.org.
Most of the list members are very happy with OpenOffice.org and support
it in their own time by helping people with problems. I am one of those
people and as i read your email it comes across as a personal attack on
me. Many others with a temperament less reasonable than my own may well
be considering flaming you in reply.

Good luck.

--
Michael

Re: piece of crap word processor

Alex Nyunt
Michael,

I appreciate your response.  Indeed, compared to the tone of much of the
mail I have received in reference to this, your response is measured and
reasonable.

What can I say?  I was angry.  I am still angry.  A large volume of people
have pointed out that OpenOffice does have autosave, a fact of which I am
aware, having used this program in one form or another for about seven
years; however, in this case that function did not work.   The program froze
and when I restarted it, instead of encountering the recover function as I
expected, the main menu came up--no recover.  Since there seems to be actual
communication going on at this point, perhaps you could look into the
reasons that something like that might occur so that it doesn't happen to
anyone else in the future.

As for the mailing list of disgruntled open source gurus, while I appreciate
your concern, that's hardly the most worrying thing at this point ("The
internet man insulted me, when will the pain stop?")  I am sorry if my
immoderate anger offended any of you and your life's work.  If you sincerely
feel the need to cast aspersions, question my intelligence, or otherwise bad
mouth me, as I'm sure many of you will continue to do, I can take it.

Thanks,
Alex

On Sun, 2010-01-10 at 14:45 -0500, Sean wrote:

> From: "Tony Pursell" <[hidden email]>
> > This person is not a subscribed user, so he will not see any mails just
> > sent to the list.  I have sent him a very matter-of-fact reply using an
> > anonymous ID.  I think that will tell him how silly he has been.  I dont
> > not think it helps to keep telling him that, or answering his abuse with
> > abuse from the list.
> >
> > Anyway, he may just be a troll, in which case we don't want to spend
> > too much time on him.
>
> OK Tony. He may be a troll, but when even I can make heads and tails of a
> program then you know anyone can use it if they give it a thought.
> This includes OOo of course.  As I've said before, I run the latest greatest
> (?) developer's builds with rarely a problem. Certainly the standard
> releases will work for just about anyone with a little effort.

I doubt very much that he is a troll. Just a poor sap that let his
frustration show as anger.

OO.o is not an easy to use program. Computers are not easy to use; if
they were why are there degree courses to get youngsters to a basic
understanding level with them?

On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 14:06 +1300, Michael Adams wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-01-10 at 14:45 -0500, Sean wrote:
> > From: "Tony Pursell" <[hidden email]>
> > > This person is not a subscribed user, so he will not see any mails just
> > > sent to the list.  I have sent him a very matter-of-fact reply using an
> > > anonymous ID.  I think that will tell him how silly he has been.  I dont
> > > not think it helps to keep telling him that, or answering his abuse with
> > > abuse from the list.
> > >
> > > Anyway, he may just be a troll, in which case we don't want to spend
> > > too much time on him.
> >
> > OK Tony. He may be a troll, but when even I can make heads and tails of a
> > program then you know anyone can use it if they give it a thought.
> > This includes OOo of course.  As I've said before, I run the latest greatest
> > (?) developer's builds with rarely a problem. Certainly the standard
> > releases will work for just about anyone with a little effort.
>
> I doubt very much that he is a troll. Just a poor sap that let his
> frustration show as anger.
>
> OO.o is not an easy to use program. Computers are not easy to use; if
> they were why are there degree courses to get youngsters to a basic
> understanding level with them?

It depends strongly on the users. My 69 yrs old father is a retired
secondary school teacher (physics and chemistry) who didn't has too much
experiences with computers, he used first time a PC at the secondary
school where he worked maybe 2 years before he was retired. However few
years ago he started a new carrier as a part time physics teacher at a
primary school in one village and there he got a notebook. Once he
bought a magazine and found an OOo installation CD in it, successfully
installed it into the notebook and after a short time he proudly showed
me his first document - a physics lab inventory prepared in Calc. He
prepred it without any help, his all knowledge he had was a short MS
Office course he got a few years ago. Until now he is using OOo to make
his school agenda, presentations, lessons, etc., of course with smaller,
sometimes bigger problems, but he is happy and proud when he solve  a
problem and never complains. If he can do it, well ... :)

RE: piece of crap word processor

Peter Hyde

On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 14:06 +1300, Michael Adams wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-01-10 at 14:45 -0500, Sean wrote:
> > From: "Tony Pursell" <[hidden email]>
> > > This person is not a subscribed user, so he will not see any mails
> > > just sent to the list.  I have sent him a very matter-of-fact
> > > reply using an anonymous ID.  I think that will tell him how silly
> > > he has been.  I dont not think it helps to keep telling him that,
> > > or answering his abuse with abuse from the list.
> > >
> > > Anyway, he may just be a troll, in which case we don't want to
> > > spend too much time on him.
> >
> > OK Tony. He may be a troll, but when even I can make heads and tails
> > of a program then you know anyone can use it if they give it a thought.
> > This includes OOo of course.  As I've said before, I run the latest
> > greatest
> > (?) developer's builds with rarely a problem. Certainly the standard
> > releases will work for just about anyone with a little effort.
>
> I doubt very much that he is a troll. Just a poor sap that let his
> frustration show as anger.
>
> OO.o is not an easy to use program. Computers are not easy to use; if
> they were why are there degree courses to get youngsters to a basic
> understanding level with them?

It depends strongly on the users. My 69 yrs old father is a retired secondary school teacher (physics and chemistry) who didn't has too much experiences with computers, he used first time a PC at the secondary school where he worked maybe 2 years before he was retired. However few years ago he started a new carrier as a part time physics teacher at a primary school in one village and there he got a notebook. Once he bought a magazine and found an OOo installation CD in it, successfully installed it into the notebook and after a short time he proudly showed me his first document - a physics lab inventory prepared in Calc. He prepred it without any help, his all knowledge he had was a short MS Office course he got a few years ago. Until now he is using OOo to make his school agenda, presentations, lessons, etc., of course with smaller, sometimes bigger problems, but he is happy and proud when he solve  a problem and never complains. If he can do it, well ... :)

With all due respect. In the example of your father you are referring to an educated man, who would have had Department of Education assistance in using a computer, who as you state has done a MS office course, which would have perfectly equipped him to use OOo. Most users are not so well educated, assisted, or trained in MS office, so often require more assistance, which is what we should give them. To state "If he can do it, well ... :)" is assuming everyone has the same education, assistance and training and so should all function equally. Even blind Freddy can see that this is not the case, so users should be assisted where appropriate at the level they need and are at re computer experience etc. In a manner one would assume your father was assisted.

Re: piece of crap word processor

Gene Young
Alex Nyunt wrote:

> Michael,
>
> I appreciate your response.  Indeed, compared to the tone of much of the
> mail I have received in reference to this, your response is measured and
> reasonable.
>
> What can I say?  I was angry.  I am still angry.  A large volume of people
> have pointed out that OpenOffice does have autosave, a fact of which I am
> aware, having used this program in one form or another for about seven
> years; however, in this case that function did not work.   The program froze
> and when I restarted it, instead of encountering the recover function as I
> expected, the main menu came up--no recover.  Since there seems to be actual
> communication going on at this point, perhaps you could look into the
> reasons that something like that might occur so that it doesn't happen to
> anyone else in the future.
>
> As for the mailing list of disgruntled open source gurus, while I appreciate
> your concern, that's hardly the most worrying thing at this point ("The
> internet man insulted me, when will the pain stop?")  I am sorry if my
> immoderate anger offended any of you and your life's work.  If you sincerely
> feel the need to cast aspersions, question my intelligence, or otherwise bad
> mouth me, as I'm sure many of you will continue to do, I can take it.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Even better.
PLONK!

Re: piece of crap word processor

Cliff-23
On January 11 2010 8:02 pm, Alex Nyunt wrote:

> Michael,
>
> I appreciate your response.  Indeed, compared to the tone of much of the
> mail I have received in reference to this, your response is measured and
> reasonable.
>
> What can I say?  I was angry.  I am still angry.  A large volume of people
> have pointed out that OpenOffice does have autosave, a fact of which I am
> aware, having used this program in one form or another for about seven
> years; however, in this case that function did not work.   The program
> froze and when I restarted it, instead of encountering the recover
> function as I
> expected, the main menu came up--no recover.  Since there seems to be
> actual communication going on at this point, perhaps you could look into
> the reasons that something like that might occur so that it doesn't happen
> to anyone else in the future.

The autosave function was broken in one version of OOo. It was 3.0.? I can't
remember exactly, but I do remember being extremely frustrated when I lost
about eight hours work because I had come to rely on the autosave feature
working.

--
Cliff

Please reply to the list only.

Alex Nyunt wrote:

> Michael,
>
> I appreciate your response.  Indeed, compared to the tone of much of the
> mail I have received in reference to this, your response is measured and
> reasonable.
>
> What can I say?  I was angry.  I am still angry.  A large volume of people
> have pointed out that OpenOffice does have autosave, a fact of which I am
> aware, having used this program in one form or another for about seven
> years; however, in this case that function did not work.   The program froze
> and when I restarted it, instead of encountering the recover function as I
> expected, the main menu came up--no recover.  Since there seems to be actual
> communication going on at this point, perhaps you could look into the
> reasons that something like that might occur so that it doesn't happen to
> anyone else in the future.

And would you have ranted the same on an MS Word newsgroup if the same
had happened in MS Word? (As it does from time to time, if you lurk on
the Word Newsgroups...)