Quantcast

printing labels from spreadsheet data

Bugzilla from john@stilen.com
I need to print spreadsheet data on an Avery template for my labels.
I found a compatible .doc on the Avery web site, but haven't found how
to fill in the data.

The tutorials say many things but none lead me to what I need.
Some say use File->New->Labels but my labels aren't compatible.
Some say to use mail merge wizard, but I'm not creating an email or
letter.

Any pointers would be most appreciated.
The wedding is 6 weeks out and I need to send these letters out.

Re: printing labels from spreadsheet data

Franz Waldmüller
John Stile schrieb:
> I need to print spreadsheet data on an Avery template for my labels.
> I found a compatible .doc on the Avery web site, but haven't found how
> to fill in the data.
I never used OpenOffice to print labels. If you are using Linux, glables
  is designed to import prepared data and to print labels.
http://glabels.sourceforge.net/

Maybe you will have to enter the specifications of the avery templated
by hand into a glabels template.

--> I spend a lot of time trying to automatically import label templates
in different programs. In the end the fasted way was to to check out how
to design a label template in (glabels or OpenOffice) and enter the
needed data by hand (If your avery labels have no specs-sheet you will
have to take your ruler)

wish you luck

Franz

Re: printing labels from spreadsheet data

Cor Nouws
Hi John,

John Stile wrote (8-4-2009 7:28)
> I need to print spreadsheet data on an Avery template for my labels.
> I found a compatible .doc on the Avery web site, but haven't found how
> to fill in the data.
>
> The tutorials say many things but none lead me to what I need.
> Some say use File->New->Labels but my labels aren't compatible.

On the second tab, Size, of that dialog, you can fill the sizes you
need. What works best for me, is to sketch it on a piece of paper an
write the measurements there as well.

> Some say to use mail merge wizard, but I'm not creating an email or
> letter.

That way can also lead to the result: If you  have a label-template
defined already, you can fill it by this way. It is one page when you
start, but it will end up with as many pages as necessary for the addresses.

HTH,
Cor

--
Cor Nouws    -    nl.OpenOffice.org marketing contact
= "2009 - Develop OOo"   =   www.nieuwsteoffice.nl  =

Re: printing labels from spreadsheet data

Alan Boba-2
On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 22:28 -0700, John Stile wrote:
> I need to print spreadsheet data on an Avery template for my labels.
> I found a compatible .doc on the Avery web site, but haven't found how
> to fill in the data.
>
> The tutorials say many things but none lead me to what I need.
> Some say use File->New->Labels but my labels aren't compatible.
> Some say to use mail merge wizard, but I'm not creating an email or
> letter.

A description with some illustrations can be found here:
http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/0205WG-PrintingWithWriter.pdf
go to the 11th page in the PDF

It will also refer you to here for creating the address list:
http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors/Mail-Merge.pdf
go to the 6th page of the PDF. You may wish to try the spreadsheet as
the data source, many people are comfortable creating lists in
spreadsheets.

This may not seem correct but the operation to perform IS a mail merge.
It is essentially printing the same document over and over but filling
in the blanks for <name>, <address>, etc. differently each time.

A good resource for instruction with OpenOffice.org is the documentation
project. It can be found here:
http://documentation.openoffice.org/

That's where the references above came from. The search terms I used
were "print labels" and, after that, "mail merge."

Good luck and congratulations, hope the wedding is wonderful!

Re: printing labels from spreadsheet data

H.S.
John Stile wrote:

> I need to print spreadsheet data on an Avery template for my labels.
> I found a compatible .doc on the Avery web site, but haven't found how
> to fill in the data.
>
> The tutorials say many things but none lead me to what I need.
> Some say use File->New->Labels but my labels aren't compatible.
> Some say to use mail merge wizard, but I'm not creating an email or
> letter.
>
> Any pointers would be most appreciated.
> The wedding is 6 weeks out and I need to send these letters out.

Other have replied suggesting what/how to go about doing this. A few
additional links that might help:
http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/2007/10/making-life-wit.html
http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/labels/
http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/mail_merge/

I just want to confirm that I have used OOo's labels feature with
success. The interface to create new labels could be better and more
intuitive, but when you create labels the first time, it is a breeze
subsequent times.

I have made labels when I filled different data in labels by hand, and
also by reading data from a spread sheet (MS Excel or OOo ods).

I would like to mention that sometimes the built in Avery label's
margins are not exactly what you get when you print out the labels on
your printer. So I print out one page of labels on a normal sheet first,
hold it and the blank labels sheet together against the list and see
where the labels' text falls on the label's sheet's grid and how the
margins look like. If needed, I tweak the top margin in page setup, or
text indent in the labels text to fix any problems.

It is not difficult to create new labels if the built in labels types do
not agree with the label's sheets you have.

Good luck.

ever having been read.

H.S. wrote:

> hold it and the blank labels sheet together against the list and see

"against the *light*" is what I meant.

ever having been read.

Re: Re: printing labels from spreadsheet data

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 13:02 -0400, H.S. wrote:
> Other have replied suggesting what/how to go about doing this. A few
> additional links that might help:
> http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/2007/10/making-life-wit.html
> http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/labels/
> http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/mail_merge/

Great links, and I am quite far now.  Thank you.

But when I print, each record fills all labels on one page.

What is the proper area to set one record per label rather than one
record per page?

John Stile wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 13:02 -0400, H.S. wrote:
>> Other have replied suggesting what/how to go about doing this. A few
>> additional links that might help:
>> http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/2007/10/making-life-wit.html
>> http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/labels/
>> http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/mail_merge/
>
> Great links, and I am quite far now.  Thank you.
>
> But when I print, each record fills all labels on one page.
>
> What is the proper area to set one record per label rather than one
> record per page?

Please refer to above links but look for mail merge and for "synchronize
records (or labels?)". One can select a data source for a labels file.
The labels file then pulls the data from that data source (spread sheet,
database, etc.).

By opening a new labels sheet (and selecting the size or type of labels)
while choosing the "synchronize" option, you choose a spread sheet as a
data source, then insert the various fields in to the *first* label. The
rest of the labels will be then populated by the data from the data source.

I think this is what you are looking for.

Regards.

ever having been read.