problem, please help

Debbie Watkins
I have a 34kb document saved and have been dipping in and editing it.  Recently on opening, the text has converted to just several pages of asterix, I cannot get my document back! I have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest version but it has not resolved my problem. I may have entered my user name as an initial rather than my full first name - the error message that comes up is that my document is locked for editing by an unknown user. How can I resolve this please? I have been searching the internet for ages but cannot see any reference to this problem!

I would really appreciate your help

Kind regards
DEBBIE WATKINS

Re: problem, please help

David Robley
Please see if
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=84056 helps.

As a courtesy I have sent a copy of this reply to you as well as to the
mailing list. Do Not reply to me personally but just to the list at
will be ignored. Since you are not subscribed to this list you may not
see all the replies to your query. To subscribe to Apache OpenOffice
mailing lists go to http://openoffice.apache.org/mailing-lists.html

On 7/1/19 4:23 am, Debbie Watkins wrote:
> I have a 34kb document saved and have been dipping in and editing it.  Recently on opening, the text has converted to just several pages of asterix, I cannot get my document back! I have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest version but it has not resolved my problem. I may have entered my user name as an initial rather than my full first name - the error message that comes up is that my document is locked for editing by an unknown user. How can I resolve this please? I have been searching the internet for ages but cannot see any reference to this problem!
>
> I would really appreciate your help
>
> Kind regards
> DEBBIE WATKINS

Cheers
--
David Robley

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.

Re: problem, please help

Rory O'Farrell
On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 17:53:06 +0000
Debbie Watkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a 34kb document saved and have been dipping in and editing it.  Recently on opening, the text has converted to just several pages of asterix, I cannot get my document back! I have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest version but it has not resolved my problem. I may have entered my user name as an initial rather than my full first name - the error message that comes up is that my document is locked for editing by an unknown user. How can I resolve this please? I have been searching the internet for ages but cannot see any reference to this problem!
>
> I would really appreciate your help
>
> Kind regards
> DEBBIE WATKINS

Robleyd's pointer to the appropriate tutorial may be helpful, but a short answer may also be useful.  The display of # signs usually indicates that your file is corrupt and not worth wasting time on.

Best to use the methods in this tutorial
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=85038#p395910 which is a [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files, which files may or may not contain your data.

If this does not succeed, download Recuva or PhotoRec (only one needed) and let that examine your computer for deleted temporary files, which you may need to rename to .odt or the appropriate file type.

The problem may have arisen because you powered down your computer (or snapped laptop lid closed) before the hard disk had finished writing the files to disk from its internal buffers.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>