problems

CHRIS SAVILLE
Hi

I have been using open office for about 10 years without a problem until now. I am currently working on version 4.2

Yesterday I wrote a document and my screen automatically back to the desktop. When I opened open office again it offered me the chance to recover (as it has done before) which I did, but it just recovered a blank page.

I clicked on “File” to access other documents but it kept on returning the same message “open office not responding”

I’ve tried again this morning but same thing has happened, more than once .

I tried then to load version 4.7, but it tells me to shutdown quickstart  first.

I don’t won’t to loose all the documents that I have.

Can you please advise.

Regards

Chris Saville

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: problems

Wade Smart-2
What is your OS?
Did you have a update recently?

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 6:14 AM CHRIS SAVILLE
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have been using open office for about 10 years without a problem until now. I am currently working on version 4.2
>
> Yesterday I wrote a document and my screen automatically back to the desktop. When I opened open office again it offered me the chance to recover (as it has done before) which I did, but it just recovered a blank page.
>
> I clicked on “File” to access other documents but it kept on returning the same message “open office not responding”
>
> I’ve tried again this morning but same thing has happened, more than once .
>
> I tried then to load version 4.7, but it tells me to shutdown quickstart  first.
>
> I don’t won’t to loose all the documents that I have.
>
> Can you please advise.
>
> Regards
>
> Chris Saville
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: problems

Rory O'Farrell
On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 12:06:49 +0100
CHRIS SAVILLE <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have been using open office for about 10 years without a problem until now. I am currently working on version 4.2
>
> Yesterday I wrote a document and my screen automatically back to the desktop. When I opened open office again it offered me the chance to recover (as it has done before) which I did, but it just recovered a blank page.
>
> I clicked on “File” to access other documents but it kept on returning the same message “open office not responding”
>
> I’ve tried again this morning but same thing has happened, more than once .
>
> I tried then to load version 4.7, but it tells me to shutdown quickstart  first.
>
> I don’t won’t to loose all the documents that I have.
>
> Can you please advise.
>
> Regards
>
> Chris Saville
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Because OpenOffice/Computer terminated, there may be portions of the OpenOffice program left running.  Start TaskManager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and kill any "soffice" processes shown on T<'s tabs.  Note spelling "soffice", with an initial "s".  Then try to start OpenOffice again.

You won't lose "All" the documents you have - they will be on your computer in the locations in which they were originally Saved.  They may not appear in OO's /File /Recent Documents, but as you open each one, it will reappear in that list.  The major concern is for your document(s) open at the time of computer or program shutdown.  These can be damaged; it is often possible to recover these by the methods outlined in
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=85038

This gives detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file.

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted.  This may recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>