project update

Bruce D'Arcus
Just a quick head's up ...

David and I had an IRC meeting with some of the senior OOo and Sun
people about how we move forward on our plans. Peter Sefton and
Matthew Dovey joined us to give third-party developer perspectives.

We'll post the IRC transcript soon so you can read the conversation
yourselves, but in general I think we came away feeling quite good
about the outcome.

The most significant points of aggreement, it seems to me, were:

1)  Sun would like to help us with infrastructure
2)  They consider the new ODF metadata support I am working on
important (they want to implement it alonside the release of ODF 1.2
next year), and a way to address 1
3)  They are happy to discuss any API improvements we need
4)  They are fine with our proposition that it would be better to get
rid of the existing DB and GUI than to try to keep it and extend it

I think 2 is particularly important because it means senior managers
and such are understanding how citations fit within a larger context
(custom metadata) and that this can offer serious value-added to OOo
in general. In essence, they care about citations because it means
the same infrastructure can facilitate a lot of other things that
will make OOo a compelling business option, in particular.

4 is also important because we don't have to fight over this, and can
just focus on the best solution.

I think our next steps, then, are:

1)  for me and the ODF metadata SC to finish our work, and make sure
it gets added to OOo
2)  for us (the OOoBib project) to simultaneously take a very close
look at the existing citation and bibliographic APIs and see what
enhancements we need

On 2, the last I looked, it seemed manageable to identify a few
strategic enhancements.

There's probably one or two more things we need to do, some of which
will follow after we know more about the details above (like the
citation field), but the two above are the most critical/timely as I
see it.

David, did I miss anything?

Bruce