question regarding default line space of CJK fonts

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

question regarding default line space of CJK fonts

Qianqian Fang
Dear list

can anyone explain to me why two Chinese
fonts have different default line spaces
in OpenOffice? see screenshot

http://wenq.org/upload/linespace.png

it is clearly not the Descent settings in
the font, neither is the underline position.

The two fonts, WQY Micro Hei and WQY Zen Hei
can be found/installed with "apt-cache search wqy"
or "yum search wqy" (similar for other package
managers). You can download them from the following
URLs:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wqy/files/wqy-zenhei/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wqy/files/wqy-microhei/

thanks for any comments.

Qianqian


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: question regarding default line space of CJK fonts

James Wilde-3

On Jan 14, 2011, at 06:13 , Qianqian Fang wrote:

> Dear list
>
> can anyone explain to me why two Chinese
> fonts have different default line spaces
> in OpenOffice? see screenshot
>
> http://wenq.org/upload/linespace.png
>
> it is clearly not the Descent settings in
> the font, neither is the underline position.
>
> The two fonts, WQY Micro Hei and WQY Zen Hei
> can be found/installed with "apt-cache search wqy"
> or "yum search wqy" (similar for other package
> managers). You can download them from the following
> URLs:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/wqy/files/wqy-zenhei/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/wqy/files/wqy-microhei/
>
> thanks for any comments.
>
Not only different default line spaces, Qianqian, but there is also a difference in the punctuation.  In the examples you provided there is a larger space between the last character of the left block and the comma, and a smaller space between the comma and the first character of the right block in QwnQuanYi Zen.  I assume that you typed the two samples identically.

//James

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: question regarding default line space of CJK fonts

Qianqian Fang
On 01/14/2011 03:23 AM, James Wilde wrote:
> Not only different default line spaces, Qianqian, but there is also a difference in the punctuation.  In the examples you provided there is a larger space between the last character of the left block and the comma, and a smaller space between the comma and the first character of the right block in QwnQuanYi Zen.  I assume that you typed the two samples identically.

hi James

the difference in comma position is understandable,
as it is the design of the glyphs in the font. But
the default line-space is the part that I don't
understand. I got even more confused when merging a
Tibetan font into Zen Hei and seeing the line-space
getting twice wider.

It looks like the line-space in OpenOffice is
somehow related to the minimum position of all
glyphs. I hope someone can clarify on on this.

thanks

Qianqian

> //James


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: question regarding default line space of CJK fonts

Uwe Fischer-6
On 01/14/11 15:31, Qianqian Fang wrote:

> On 01/14/2011 03:23 AM, James Wilde wrote:
>> Not only different default line spaces, Qianqian, but there is also a
>> difference in the punctuation.  In the examples you provided there is
>> a larger space between the last character of the left block and the
>> comma, and a smaller space between the comma and the first character
>> of the right block in QwnQuanYi Zen.  I assume that you typed the two
>> samples identically.
>
> hi James
>
> the difference in comma position is understandable,
> as it is the design of the glyphs in the font. But
> the default line-space is the part that I don't
> understand. I got even more confused when merging a
> Tibetan font into Zen Hei and seeing the line-space
> getting twice wider.
>
> It looks like the line-space in OpenOffice is
> somehow related to the minimum position of all
> glyphs. I hope someone can clarify on on this.
>
> thanks
>
> Qianqian
>
>> //James
>

Hi,

I never used Asian fonts, but did you enable the support for Asian fonts
in OpenOffice.org? (Tools - Options - Language Settings - Languages)

Then you find a tab page Text Grid when you go to Format - Page. May be
this is of some help.

Uwe
--

Uwe Fischer | Technical Writer
Oracle Office GBU

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Nagelsweg 55 | 20097 Hamburg

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstr. 25, D-80992 München
Registergericht: Amtsgericht München, HRA 95603

Komplementärin: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande
Handelsregister der Handelskammer Midden-Niederlande, Nr. 30143697
Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz, Marcel van de Molen, Alexander van der Ven

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]