Quantcast

"Either another instance of OpenOffice.org is accessing your personal settings ..."

"Either another instance of OpenOffice.org is accessing your personal settings ..."

Wesley Parish
This is an error message I am getting on a MS Win98SE box in an MS Win98SE
network I attempt to manage.

"OpenOffice.org 2.0

Either another instance of OpenOffice.org is accessing your personal settings or
our personal settings are locked.
Simultaneous access can lead to inconsistencies in you personal setings.  Before
continuing, you should make sure user '' closes OpenOffice.org on host 'WINTON'.

Continue?"

I've looked at the Tools/Options and can't find the appropriate area in the
personal settings section.  What should I be doing?

Wesley Parish

"Sharpened hands are happy hands.
"Brim the tinfall with mirthful bands"
- A Deepness in the Sky, Vernor Vinge

"I me.  Shape middled me.  I would come out into hot!"
I from the spicy that day was overcasked mockingly - it's a symbol of the
other horizon. - emacs : meta x dissociated-press

Re: "Either another instance of OpenOffice.org is accessing your personal settings ..."

Jörg Barfurth
Hi Wesley,

Consider using the [hidden email] mailing list for gettting
support for using the OpenOffice.org application.

Wesley Parish wrote:

> This is an error message I am getting on a MS Win98SE box in an MS Win98SE
> network I attempt to manage.
>
> "OpenOffice.org 2.0
>
> Either another instance of OpenOffice.org is accessing your personal settings or
> our personal settings are locked.
> Simultaneous access can lead to inconsistencies in you personal setings.  Before
> continuing, you should make sure user '' closes OpenOffice.org on host 'WINTON'.
>
> Continue?"
>
> I've looked at the Tools/Options and can't find the appropriate area in the
> personal settings section.  What should I be doing?

There appears to be a computer called 'WINTON', where an OpenOffice.org
process is (or was) your networked profile directory for personal
settings. Apparently the computer on which you are running
OpenOffice.org has a different name. The OpenOffice.org process on
WINTON either is still running or terminated abnormally (i.e. it
crashed). In the former case you should quit the instance on WINTON
before running OOo on your machine. If that instance has crashed, you
are safe to 'continue' - in which case the message won't appear again.

But I do wonder: if you are not logged in as a named user ("user ''"),
then how can networked profile directories work?

Ciao, Joerg

--
Joerg Barfurth              Sun Microsystems - Desktop - Hamburg
Software Engineer                         [hidden email]
OpenOffice.org Configuration          http://util.openoffice.org

Re: "Either another instance of OpenOffice.org is accessing your personal settings ..."

Mathias Bauer
Wesley Parish wrote:

> This is an error message I am getting on a MS Win98SE box in an MS Win98SE
> network I attempt to manage.
>
> "OpenOffice.org 2.0
>
> Either another instance of OpenOffice.org is accessing your personal settings or
> our personal settings are locked.
> Simultaneous access can lead to inconsistencies in you personal setings.  Before
> continuing, you should make sure user '' closes OpenOffice.org on host 'WINTON'.
>
> Continue?"
>
> I've looked at the Tools/Options and can't find the appropriate area in the
> personal settings section.  What should I be doing?

This is a result of an OOo crash you seem to have had the last time you
sued OOo. Just ignore the message, it should disappear after you have
successfully closed OOo.

Best regards,
Mathias

Please reply to the list only, [hidden email] is a spam sink.

Re: "Either another instance of OpenOffice.org is accessing your personal settings ..."

Wesley Parish
Thanks.  Will do.

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 23:08, Joerg Barfurth wrote:

> Hi Wesley,
>
> Consider using the [hidden email] mailing list for gettting
> support for using the OpenOffice.org application.
>
> Wesley Parish wrote:
> > This is an error message I am getting on a MS Win98SE box in an MS
> > Win98SE network I attempt to manage.
> >
> > "OpenOffice.org 2.0
> >
> > Either another instance of OpenOffice.org is accessing your personal
> > settings or our personal settings are locked.
> > Simultaneous access can lead to inconsistencies in you personal setings.
> > Before continuing, you should make sure user '' closes OpenOffice.org on
> > host 'WINTON'.
> >
> > Continue?"
> >
> > I've looked at the Tools/Options and can't find the appropriate area in
> > the personal settings section.  What should I be doing?
>
> There appears to be a computer called 'WINTON', where an OpenOffice.org
> process is (or was) your networked profile directory for personal
> settings. Apparently the computer on which you are running
> OpenOffice.org has a different name. The OpenOffice.org process on
> WINTON either is still running or terminated abnormally (i.e. it
> crashed). In the former case you should quit the instance on WINTON
> before running OOo on your machine. If that instance has crashed, you
> are safe to 'continue' - in which case the message won't appear again.
>
> But I do wonder: if you are not logged in as a named user ("user ''"),
> then how can networked profile directories work?
>
> Ciao, Joerg

-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?

Re: "Either another instance of OpenOffice.org is accessing your personal settings ..."

Wesley Parish
Thanks.

Wesley Praish

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 21:09, Mathias Bauer wrote:

> Wesley Parish wrote:
> > This is an error message I am getting on a MS Win98SE box in an MS
> > Win98SE network I attempt to manage.
> >
> > "OpenOffice.org 2.0
> >
> > Either another instance of OpenOffice.org is accessing your personal
> > settings or our personal settings are locked.
> > Simultaneous access can lead to inconsistencies in you personal setings.
> > Before continuing, you should make sure user '' closes OpenOffice.org on
> > host 'WINTON'.
> >
> > Continue?"
> >
> > I've looked at the Tools/Options and can't find the appropriate area in
> > the personal settings section.  What should I be doing?
>
> This is a result of an OOo crash you seem to have had the last time you
> sued OOo. Just ignore the message, it should disappear after you have
> successfully closed OOo.
>
> Best regards,
> Mathias

-----