"File Exists" Dialog

Rouslan Solomakhin-2
I find the existing "File Exists" dialog to be confusing and archaic
looking: [1].

My points of grief are:
 * It does not have the name of the file which is being overwritten.
 * A quick glance at the buttons "Yes" or "No" is not enough to make a
decision, forcing a conscientious user to read the message, which is
cryptic anyway.

Does anyone agree with these points? What do people think about
something more usable as in [2] ?

[1] http://blog.solomakhin.net/images/default-openoffice-file-exists-dialog.png
[2] http://blog.solomakhin.net/images/proposed-openoffice-file-exists-dialog.png

Regards,
Rouslan Solomakhin

P.S.: Please CC to <rouslan.solomakhin at gmail.com>. I am not
subscribed to the list.

Re: "File Exists" Dialog

Malte Timmermann
In general this sounds reasonable to me.

Only issue: Right now the dialog is small, fix size.
With the file name, it must be bigger, and probably dynamic size.
The file name should also have an other font style, or be in a separate
line.

Malte.

Rouslan Solomakhin wrote:

> I find the existing "File Exists" dialog to be confusing and archaic
> looking: [1].
>
> My points of grief are:
> * It does not have the name of the file which is being overwritten.
> * A quick glance at the buttons "Yes" or "No" is not enough to make a
> decision, forcing a conscientious user to read the message, which is
> cryptic anyway.
>
> Does anyone agree with these points? What do people think about
> something more usable as in [2] ?
>
> [1]
> http://blog.solomakhin.net/images/default-openoffice-file-exists-dialog.png
>
> [2]
> http://blog.solomakhin.net/images/proposed-openoffice-file-exists-dialog.png
>

> Regards,
> Rouslan Solomakhin
>
> P.S.: Please CC to <rouslan.solomakhin at gmail.com>. I am not
> subscribed to the list.

Re: "File Exists" Dialog

Malte Timmermann
An other thing that I almost forgot: On some systems that dialog comes
directly from the system's file dialog, not from OOo...
So it's also important to check which systems have their own, and how
they look like.
If all look like you described, we shouldn't change that, because we
could only do for our own dialogs.

Malte.

Malte Timmermann wrote:

> In general this sounds reasonable to me.
>
> Only issue: Right now the dialog is small, fix size.
> With the file name, it must be bigger, and probably dynamic size.
> The file name should also have an other font style, or be in a
> separate line.
>
> Malte.
>
> Rouslan Solomakhin wrote:
>> I find the existing "File Exists" dialog to be confusing and archaic
>> looking: [1].
>>
>> My points of grief are:
>> * It does not have the name of the file which is being overwritten.
>> * A quick glance at the buttons "Yes" or "No" is not enough to make a
>> decision, forcing a conscientious user to read the message, which is
>> cryptic anyway.
>>
>> Does anyone agree with these points? What do people think about
>> something more usable as in [2] ?
>>
>> [1]
>> http://blog.solomakhin.net/images/default-openoffice-file-exists-dialog.png
>>
>> [2]
>> http://blog.solomakhin.net/images/proposed-openoffice-file-exists-dialog.png
>>

>> Regards,
>> Rouslan Solomakhin
>>
>> P.S.: Please CC to <rouslan.solomakhin at gmail.com>. I am not
>> subscribed to the list.

Re: "File Exists" Dialog

Uwe Fischer

Rouslan Solomakhin wrote:
> I find the existing "File Exists" dialog to be confusing and archaic
> looking: [1].

a good amount of user info would be welcome:
1. filename
2. file sizes of existing file and current file
3. last file editing date and time of existing file
4. file creation date and time of existing file
5. file owner of existing file
6. name of original file author
7. file title as set in file properties

at least 1, 2, and 3 should be given in a "File Exists" dialog.

Uwe
--
   [hidden email]  -  Technical Writer
   StarOffice - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Hamburg, Germany

Re: "File Exists" Dialog

Malte Timmermann
Item 2 w/o sizes of current (== new) file - you don't know that in
advance...

Malte.