"Illegal operation"

George Knapp
I downloaded and installed OpenOffice 2.0 this morning on Windows 98, but when I try to open the Calc or Writer programs, I get the message:'

"This program has perfomed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

"CRASHREP caused an invalid page fault in module KERNES32.DLL at 015f:bff7b983.

"Registers: . . . . . . .   "

I removed and reinstalled Open Office, with the same result.

Any help?

George Knapp

Re: "Illegal operation"

CPHennessy
On Sun November 13 2005 16:33, + George Knapp wrote:

>  [ MODERATED ] ********************
> I downloaded and installed OpenOffice 2.0 this morning on Windows 98, but
> when I try to open the Calc or Writer programs, I get the message:'
>
> "This program has perfomed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
>
> "CRASHREP caused an invalid page fault in module KERNES32.DLL at
> 015f:bff7b983.
>
> "Registers: . . . . . . .   "
>
> I removed and reinstalled Open Office, with the same result.
>
> Any help?

Did OpenOffice.org ever work ?
Does Writer work ?
Do you have problems with other applications ?
How much RAM (memory) do you have ?

Please reply to [hidden email] only

--
CPH : openoffice.org contributor

                                http://user-faq.openoffice.org/#FAQ

Re: "Illegal operation"

George Knapp
Thanks for the response.
1. OpenOffice.org never did work.
2. Writer doesn't work.
3. No problems with other applications.  Probably because I just started
from scratch from this used computer (reformatted the hard disk, installed
Windows 98 and Linux.  Haven't actually used any of these much, except to
try them out.
4. RAM may be the problem.  The computer has only 64 MB RAM.  OpenOffice may
need more RAM, but it may not be worth the effort/cost to add RAM.
Thanks anyway.
George Knapp

> On Sun November 13 2005 16:33, + George Knapp wrote:
>>  [ MODERATED ] ********************
>> I downloaded and installed OpenOffice 2.0 this morning on Windows 98, but
>> when I try to open the Calc or Writer programs, I get the message:'
>>
>> "This program has perfomed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
>>
>> "CRASHREP caused an invalid page fault in module KERNES32.DLL at
>> 015f:bff7b983.
>>
>> "Registers: . . . . . . .   "
>>
>> I removed and reinstalled Open Office, with the same result.
>>
>> Any help?
>
> Did OpenOffice.org ever work ?
> Does Writer work ?
> Do you have problems with other applications ?
> How much RAM (memory) do you have ?
>
> Please reply to [hidden email] only
>
> --
> CPH : openoffice.org contributor
>
> Maybe your question has been answered already?
> http://user-faq.openoffice.org/#FAQ

Re: "Illegal operation"

G. Roderick Singleton-2
On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 20:20 -0500, George Knapp wrote:

> Thanks for the response.
> 1. OpenOffice.org never did work.
> 2. Writer doesn't work.
> 3. No problems with other applications.  Probably because I just started
> from scratch from this used computer (reformatted the hard disk, installed
> Windows 98 and Linux.  Haven't actually used any of these much, except to
> try them out.
> 4. RAM may be the problem.  The computer has only 64 MB RAM.  OpenOffice may
> need more RAM, but it may not be worth the effort/cost to add RAM.
> Thanks anyway.

2.0 requirements from
http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/sys_reqs_20.html":
Microsoft Windows
      * Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000 (Service Pack 2 or higher),
        Windows XP, Windows 2003
      * 128 Mbytes RAM
      * 200 Mbytes available disk space
      * 800 x 600 or higher resolution with at least 256 colors

1.1 requirements from
http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/sys_reqs_11.html
      * Microsoft Windows 98, ME, NT (Service Pack 6 or higher), 2000 or
        XP
      * Pentium compatible PC, 64 MB RAM, 250 MB available hard disk
        space

so memory is the likely limit. I will say that at the 64Mb limit even
1.1.5 is SLOW at responding.

PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead
http://documentation.openoffice.org/

Re: "Illegal operation"

CPHennessy
On Sat November 19 2005 01:20, + George Knapp wrote:

>  [ MODERATED ] ***********************
> Thanks for the response.
> 1. OpenOffice.org never did work.
> 2. Writer doesn't work.
> 3. No problems with other applications.  Probably because I just started
> from scratch from this used computer (reformatted the hard disk, installed
> Windows 98 and Linux.  Haven't actually used any of these much, except to
> try them out.
> 4. RAM may be the problem.  The computer has only 64 MB RAM.  OpenOffice
> may need more RAM, but it may not be worth the effort/cost to add RAM.
> Thanks anyway.

It is almost certainly the amount of RAM on your system that is a problem.
However if you cannot (or do not want to) spend $20 to $30 to get more RAM,
then try increasing the "virtual memory" in your system.

Please reply to [hidden email] only

--
CPH : openoffice.org contributor

                                http://user-faq.openoffice.org/#FAQ

Re: "Illegal operation"

Dan Lewis-6
On Sunday 20 November 2005 11:18 am, CPHennessy wrote:

> On Sat November 19 2005 01:20, + George Knapp wrote:
> >  [ MODERATED ] ***********************
> > Thanks for the response.
> > 1. OpenOffice.org never did work.
> > 2. Writer doesn't work.
> > 3. No problems with other applications.  Probably because I just started
> > from scratch from this used computer (reformatted the hard disk,
> > installed Windows 98 and Linux.  Haven't actually used any of these much,
> > except to try them out.
> > 4. RAM may be the problem.  The computer has only 64 MB RAM.  OpenOffice
> > may need more RAM, but it may not be worth the effort/cost to add RAM.
> > Thanks anyway.
>
> It is almost certainly the amount of RAM on your system that is a problem.
> However if you cannot (or do not want to) spend $20 to $30 to get more RAM,
> then try increasing the "virtual memory" in your system.
>
> Please reply to [hidden email] only

     I agree that RAM is the problem. I have a laptop with 160 MB RAM. I have
both Win 98SE and Linux on it. I also use OOo 2.0 on both versions without
the problems you are having. You should also increase the amount of Virtual
Memory if possible. But even so, OOo 2.0 runs slower on my laptop than it
does on my desktop with 256MB RAM.

Dan

Re: "Illegal operation"

George Knapp
Thanks to all.
This is a leftover computer from a friend, with which I have been
experimenting.  Just wondered how much of my Windows XP software would be
compatible with OpenOffice and/or Linux.  Don't have time to pursue it
further, have no valid excuse for increasing the RAM, and I'm too chicken to
try (1) increasing virtual memory on that computer or (2) installing
OpenOffice on my "regular" computer, along with Microsoft Office 97.

Thanks anyway.

George

On Sun November 20 2005 23:24, + George Knapp wrote:
>  [ MODERATED ] ***********************
> Thanks to all.
> This is a leftover computer from a friend, with which I have been
> experimenting.  Just wondered how much of my Windows XP software would be
> compatible with OpenOffice and/or Linux.  Don't have time to pursue it
> further, have no valid excuse for increasing the RAM, and I'm too chicken
> to try (1) increasing virtual memory on that computer
It is very easy and should not result in any problems.

> or (2) installing
> OpenOffice on my "regular" computer, along with Microsoft Office 97.
Again OOo will not interfer with a MSOffice installation (there is one dialog
in the installation which asks you if you want to associate OOo with MSOffice
files - it is defaulted to "no" and you should leave it like that).