"Recovery failed" warning on each relaunch of iMac and Openoffice

"Recovery failed" warning on each relaunch of iMac and Openoffice

Paul Collins
I have OpenOffice 4.1.6 installed on iMac (late 2009) running OS X Yosemite 10.10.5.  Having experienced malware previously which corrupted software and files on my iMac, I always mark my AOO spreadsheet file “Orders”, covering order history in  the “Finder/Get Info” window and ticking the “Locked” box in that window, prior to ’shutdown'.

Every time I (re)launch OS X 10.10.5, a window in AOO 4.1.6 opens saying “Press ‘Start Recovery’ to start recovery process of… the file.  Note! the AOO “Orders” file had been marked “Locked”, upon previous shutdown.

When I press the “Start Recovery” button, status indicates “Recovery failed”.  The file opens but, being unsure whether the file is still valid, I have renamed the “Orders” file with the latest opening date several times.  When THAT renamed file opens, the same uncertainty applies to the renamed file: - is it a valid file under renamed title or not. Has the data been saved at that previous closure?

I am grateful for any advice you may offer.

Sincerely, PaulRanger1 (I think).

P.S. My registration details (Username: PaulRanger1, email address: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>, Password: F10rence) from 26 September 2014 are no longer accepted at https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/ucp.php?mode=login  <https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/ucp.php?mode=login>

P.P.S. Accordingly, Brian, it seems I must again "choose to broadcast this to the masses”. Sorry.

Re: "Recovery failed" warning on each relaunch of iMac and Openoffice

David Belina-2
Do you come Open Office before you shutdown the Mac.

If you don’t (even if you “lock “ the file, OpenOffice tries to recover because it thinks the Open office file is still open.