"System cannot find the file specified"

Paul McGahie
After repeatedly trying to use the forum I seem to have messed up badly.
The original problem was all the OO files would open but but fade out
and freeze upon trying to use them; with the little circle icon rotating.

Twice I have deleted "soffice" items but this last time now I get the
notice in the Subject heading above. Now I can't even open/access the files.

The forum help doesn't match what appears on my computer and I am too
computer illiterate to adapt those directions to my Windows 10 Home os
on my Acer Intel inside Core 13 laptop.

I need someone to walk me through fixing this with up to date knowledge
of AOO and Windows 10 that matches my computer.

Please help; I love OO but need it fixed now cause I use Calc for all of
my business financial budget keeping and I haven't even finished January
and I'm halfway through February.

Thank you very much,

Paul McGahie

[hidden email]

228-257-2249

Re: "System cannot find the file specified"

Paul McGahie
More info: system cannot find soffice.exe

On 2/16/2019 12:03 PM, Paul McGahie wrote:

> After repeatedly trying to use the forum I seem to have messed up
> badly. The original problem was all the OO files would open but but
> fade out and freeze upon trying to use them; with the little circle
> icon rotating.
>
> Twice I have deleted "soffice" items but this last time now I get the
> notice in the Subject heading above. Now I can't even open/access the
> files.
>
> The forum help doesn't match what appears on my computer and I am too
> computer illiterate to adapt those directions to my Windows 10 Home os
> on my Acer Intel inside Core 13 laptop.
>
> I need someone to walk me through fixing this with up to date
> knowledge of AOO and Windows 10 that matches my computer.
>
> Please help; I love OO but need it fixed now cause I use Calc for all
> of my business financial budget keeping and I haven't even finished
> January and I'm halfway through February.
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Paul McGahie
>
> [hidden email]
>
> 228-257-2249

Re: "System cannot find the file specified"

Rory O'Farrell
On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 12:16:01 -0600
Paul McGahie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> More info: system cannot find soffice.exe
>
> On 2/16/2019 12:03 PM, Paul McGahie wrote:
> > After repeatedly trying to use the forum I seem to have messed up
> > badly. The original problem was all the OO files would open but but
> > fade out and freeze upon trying to use them; with the little circle
> > icon rotating.
> >
> > Twice I have deleted "soffice" items but this last time now I get the
> > notice in the Subject heading above. Now I can't even open/access the
> > files.
> >
> > The forum help doesn't match what appears on my computer and I am too
> > computer illiterate to adapt those directions to my Windows 10 Home os
> > on my Acer Intel inside Core 13 laptop.
> >
> > I need someone to walk me through fixing this with up to date
> > knowledge of AOO and Windows 10 that matches my computer.
> >
> > Please help; I love OO but need it fixed now cause I use Calc for all
> > of my business financial budget keeping and I haven't even finished
> > January and I'm halfway through February.
> >
> > Thank you very much,
> >
> > Paul McGahie
> >
> > [hidden email]
> >
> > 228-257-2249

Try reinstalling OO in case you have deleted an essential component.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: "System cannot find the file specified"

David Robley
As has been suggested on the forum, you have probably deleted files that
are necessary for AOO to work; try re-installing AOO to resolve the
problem of missing files.

As a courtesy I have sent a copy of this reply to you as well as to the
mailing list. Do Not reply to me personally but just to the list at
will be ignored.

On 17/2/19 4:33 am, Paul McGahie wrote:

> After repeatedly trying to use the forum I seem to have messed up
> badly. The original problem was all the OO files would open but but
> fade out and freeze upon trying to use them; with the little circle
> icon rotating.
>
> Twice I have deleted "soffice" items but this last time now I get the
> notice in the Subject heading above. Now I can't even open/access the
> files.
>
> The forum help doesn't match what appears on my computer and I am too
> computer illiterate to adapt those directions to my Windows 10 Home os
> on my Acer Intel inside Core 13 laptop.
>
> I need someone to walk me through fixing this with up to date
> knowledge of AOO and Windows 10 that matches my computer.
>
> Please help; I love OO but need it fixed now cause I use Calc for all
> of my business financial budget keeping and I haven't even finished
> January and I'm halfway through February.
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Paul McGahie
>
> [hidden email]
>
> 228-257-2249

Cheers
--
David Robley

I can't be overdrawn, I still have checks left!

Re: "System cannot find the file specified"

Rory O'Farrell
On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 12:03:44 -0600
Paul McGahie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After repeatedly trying to use the forum I seem to have messed up badly.
> The original problem was all the OO files would open but but fade out
> and freeze upon trying to use them; with the little circle icon rotating.
>
> Twice I have deleted "soffice" items but this last time now I get the
> notice in the Subject heading above. Now I can't even open/access the files.
>
> The forum help doesn't match what appears on my computer and I am too
> computer illiterate to adapt those directions to my Windows 10 Home os
> on my Acer Intel inside Core 13 laptop.
>
> I need someone to walk me through fixing this with up to date knowledge
> of AOO and Windows 10 that matches my computer.
>
> Please help; I love OO but need it fixed now cause I use Calc for all of
> my business financial budget keeping and I haven't even finished January
> and I'm halfway through February.
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Paul McGahie

Support on the OpenOffice lists and Forums is provided by volunteers on a pro bono basis in their own time, so there is no telephone or on-line chat service available.

It is likely that you have misunderstood the directions offered and deleted some actual portion of the program, without which it cannot run.  Reinstalling OpenOffice should reinstall that portion, but as you have not deleted the notification of the running section (as the instructions intend) your problem may continue.

I suggest you reinstall, then seek local informed help - often someone from a younger generation will have the familiarity with Windows needed and be happy to help - they need only be sufficiently computer adept to follow the detailed original instructions.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>