resigning as Base project lead (and as Base team member)

resigning as Base project lead (and as Base team member)

frank.schoenheit
Hello fellow Base users and developers,

of the ~2000 mails I sent to dev@dba and users@dba (wow! 20% of the
mails were from me? My mail client must be lying to me ...), this is one
of the more difficult ones.

Effective immediately, I'll be resigning from the position of Base's
project lead. Along with that, I will probably significantly reduce my
contribution to those lists, and definitely to overall Base.

Background:

Some time ago, I've been asked whether I could imagine working, on a
per-project basis, in another part of Sun's [1] OpenOffice.org team. To
be precise, the talk was about Impress. Well, after some consideration,
I said I could. But - I don't like the idea of doing things only half.
If I were to go to the Impress team, I would want to be an Impress
developer, not half an Impress and half a Base developer.

Consequently, I decided to accept this offering, but only as "full-time
assignment". Hey, this was *the* chance to get rid of the responsibility
for all the crimes I committed in Base! :)

So, here I am: still with Sun/Oracle, still with OpenOffice.org, but not
with Base anymore. Well, of course I'll continue to be available for
consultation (though my bad memory is proverbial, at least for my wife,
I'll probably remember a few things I did to the code). And the next
show stopper fix in some code area of mine will probably also be done by
/me. But I'll stop contributing significant changes to Base.

I certainly see this change with mixed feelings.

I started in the Base team more than 10 years ago, in my first job ever,
immediately after university, still some time before StarDivision was
bought by Sun, and StarOffice was open sourced as OpenOffice.org. Times
were interesting and challenging, we did some things pretty well, and
some things went ... not as good as I would have hoped. Still, Base is
an important part of my (professional, at least) life.

On the other hand, other challenges lie ahead. Impress is pretty new to
me, there'll be a lot to learn.

And who knows - perhaps I'll return to Base when the Impress team
recognizes my inherent inability to understand the basics of their work
- YMCA color models, or however those are called, and such ...

I'm going to send another mail regarding my suggestion for a project
lead successor (it won't surprise you too much).

Also, I still owe some of you an Apfelstrudel - I hope we can still do
that at some point in time :)

See you around, the OpenOffice.org community isn't *that* big that I'll
be completely out of your way ...

Ciao
Frank

[1] I am probably obliged to tell that Sun Microsystems by now is a
    wholly owned subsidiary of Oracle Corporation

--
- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         [hidden email] -
- Sun Microsystems                      http://www.sun.com/staroffice -

Re: [dba-users] resigning as Base project lead (and as Base team member)

Ocke Janssen

THANK YOU

for the great work you've done.

Do I have have anymore to say? No.

- oj

Frank Schoenheit, Sun Microsystems Germany wrote:

> Hello fellow Base users and developers,
>
> of the ~2000 mails I sent to dev@dba and users@dba (wow! 20% of the
> mails were from me? My mail client must be lying to me ...), this is one
> of the more difficult ones.
>
> Effective immediately, I'll be resigning from the position of Base's
> project lead. Along with that, I will probably significantly reduce my
> contribution to those lists, and definitely to overall Base.
>

> Background:
>
> Some time ago, I've been asked whether I could imagine working, on a
> per-project basis, in another part of Sun's [1] OpenOffice.org team. To
> be precise, the talk was about Impress. Well, after some consideration,
> I said I could. But - I don't like the idea of doing things only half.
> If I were to go to the Impress team, I would want to be an Impress
> developer, not half an Impress and half a Base developer.
>
> Consequently, I decided to accept this offering, but only as "full-time
> assignment". Hey, this was *the* chance to get rid of the responsibility
> for all the crimes I committed in Base! :)
>

> So, here I am: still with Sun/Oracle, still with OpenOffice.org, but not
> with Base anymore. Well, of course I'll continue to be available for
> consultation (though my bad memory is proverbial, at least for my wife,
> I'll probably remember a few things I did to the code). And the next
> show stopper fix in some code area of mine will probably also be done by
> /me. But I'll stop contributing significant changes to Base.
>

> I certainly see this change with mixed feelings.
>
> I started in the Base team more than 10 years ago, in my first job ever,
> immediately after university, still some time before StarDivision was
> bought by Sun, and StarOffice was open sourced as OpenOffice.org. Times
> were interesting and challenging, we did some things pretty well, and
> some things went ... not as good as I would have hoped. Still, Base is
> an important part of my (professional, at least) life.
>
> On the other hand, other challenges lie ahead. Impress is pretty new to
> me, there'll be a lot to learn.
>
> And who knows - perhaps I'll return to Base when the Impress team
> recognizes my inherent inability to understand the basics of their work
> - YMCA color models, or however those are called, and such ...
>

> I'm going to send another mail regarding my suggestion for a project
> lead successor (it won't surprise you too much).
>
> Also, I still owe some of you an Apfelstrudel - I hope we can still do
> that at some point in time :)
>
> See you around, the OpenOffice.org community isn't *that* big that I'll
> be completely out of your way ...
>
> Ciao
> Frank
>
> [1] I am probably obliged to tell that Sun Microsystems by now is a
>     wholly owned subsidiary of Oracle Corporation

--
Ocke Janssen                      Tel: +49 40 23646 661, x66661
Dipl. Inf(FH)                     Fax: +49 40 23646 550

Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Thomas Schroeder, Wolfgang Engels

Re: resigning as Base project lead (and as Base team member)

Christoph Lukasiak
we will miss you ..

.. but if the impress team fire you because you have mistaken any color
palettes, you are always welcome in the OOo QA Base team :)

bye chris

Frank Schoenheit, Sun Microsystems Germany wrote:

> Hello fellow Base users and developers,
>
> of the ~2000 mails I sent to dev@dba and users@dba (wow! 20% of the
> mails were from me? My mail client must be lying to me ...), this is one
> of the more difficult ones.
>
> Effective immediately, I'll be resigning from the position of Base's
> project lead. Along with that, I will probably significantly reduce my
> contribution to those lists, and definitely to overall Base.
>

> Background:
>
> Some time ago, I've been asked whether I could imagine working, on a
> per-project basis, in another part of Sun's [1] OpenOffice.org team. To
> be precise, the talk was about Impress. Well, after some consideration,
> I said I could. But - I don't like the idea of doing things only half.
> If I were to go to the Impress team, I would want to be an Impress
> developer, not half an Impress and half a Base developer.
>
> Consequently, I decided to accept this offering, but only as "full-time
> assignment". Hey, this was *the* chance to get rid of the responsibility
> for all the crimes I committed in Base! :)
>

> So, here I am: still with Sun/Oracle, still with OpenOffice.org, but not
> with Base anymore. Well, of course I'll continue to be available for
> consultation (though my bad memory is proverbial, at least for my wife,
> I'll probably remember a few things I did to the code). And the next
> show stopper fix in some code area of mine will probably also be done by
> /me. But I'll stop contributing significant changes to Base.
>

> I certainly see this change with mixed feelings.
>
> I started in the Base team more than 10 years ago, in my first job ever,
> immediately after university, still some time before StarDivision was
> bought by Sun, and StarOffice was open sourced as OpenOffice.org. Times
> were interesting and challenging, we did some things pretty well, and
> some things went ... not as good as I would have hoped. Still, Base is
> an important part of my (professional, at least) life.
>
> On the other hand, other challenges lie ahead. Impress is pretty new to
> me, there'll be a lot to learn.
>
> And who knows - perhaps I'll return to Base when the Impress team
> recognizes my inherent inability to understand the basics of their work
> - YMCA color models, or however those are called, and such ...
>

> I'm going to send another mail regarding my suggestion for a project
> lead successor (it won't surprise you too much).
>
> Also, I still owe some of you an Apfelstrudel - I hope we can still do
> that at some point in time :)
>
> See you around, the OpenOffice.org community isn't *that* big that I'll
> be completely out of your way ...
>
> Ciao
> Frank
>
> [1] I am probably obliged to tell that Sun Microsystems by now is a
>     wholly owned subsidiary of Oracle Corporation

Re: [dba-users] resigning as Base project lead (and as Base team member)

Cor Nouws
Hi Frank,

Frank Schoenheit, Sun Microsystems Germany wrote (01-03-10 14:22)

> Effective immediately, I'll be resigning from the position of Base's
> project lead. Along with that, I will probably significantly reduce my
> contribution to those lists, and definitely to overall Base.

Thanks for all you did for the project :-)

> [...]
> Also, I still owe some of you an Apfelstrudel - I hope we can still do
> that at some point in time :)

With all those nice Impress RFE's ahead, it will taste even better ;-)

Best regards,
Cor

--
  >> Your office 2010 software: the new OpenOffice.org <<

Cor Nouws
   - ideas/remarks for the community council?
   - http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Community_Council

Re: resigning as Base project lead (and as Base team member)

Reizinger Zoltán
Hi Frank,
> Effective immediately, I'll be resigning from the position of Base's
> project lead. Along with that, I will probably significantly reduce my
> contribution to those lists, and definitely to overall Base.

Thanks to your work and help.
Best regards,
Zoltan