starting 4.1.7 and 4.2.0 Releases

12

starting 4.1.7 and 4.2.0 Releases

Peter Kovacs-3
Hello all,

I suggest that we start right away with an Parallel development of 4.1.7
Release branch. I nominate Matthias to be release manager. Are you
willing to go on this?

And I suggest also to branch 4.2.0 from trunk. Jim you still available
to be the release manager on this branch? - Maybe we should branch from
the latest dev build version if we can find out and then check on the
commits.

I am not available at the moment for release manager. But it would be
good to continue, to be able to have release versions prepared.

All the best

Peter

Re: starting 4.1.7 and 4.2.0 Releases

Mechtilde Stehmann-2
Hello

Am 11.11.18 um 17:36 schrieb Peter Kovacs:

> Hello all,
>
> I suggest that we start right away with an Parallel development of 4.1.7
> Release branch. I nominate Matthias to be release manager. Are you
> willing to go on this?
>
> And I suggest also to branch 4.2.0 from trunk. Jim you still available
> to be the release manager on this branch? - Maybe we should branch from
> the latest dev build version if we can find out and then check on the
> commits.
When the branch 4.2 is available I want to start preparing pootle for
the next translation round.

therefore I need help to create a new SDF template to update pootle.

Can someone help me.

Keind regards

--
Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice

Re: starting 4.1.7 and 4.2.0 Releases

Jim Jagielski

> On Nov 11, 2018, at 11:36 AM, Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> And I suggest also to branch 4.2.0 from trunk. Jim you still available
> to be the release manager on this branch? - Maybe we should branch from
> the latest dev build version if we can find out and then check on the
> commits.

That works for me. Anyone have any angst about me being RM for 4.2.0?

Am 12.11.18 um 14:39 schrieb Jim Jagielski:

>> On Nov 11, 2018, at 11:36 AM, Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> And I suggest also to branch 4.2.0 from trunk. Jim you still available
>> to be the release manager on this branch? - Maybe we should branch from
>> the latest dev build version if we can find out and then check on the
>> commits.
>
> That works for me. Anyone have any angst about me being RM for 4.2.0?
That's fine for me
--
Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice
## Debian Developer
## Loook, calender-exchange-provider, libreoffice-canzeley-client
## PGP encryption welcome

Re: starting 4.1.7 and 4.2.0 Releases

Matthias Seidel
Hi Peter,

Am 11.11.18 um 17:36 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
> Hello all,
>
> I suggest that we start right away with an Parallel development of 4.1.7
> Release branch. I nominate Matthias to be release manager. Are you
> willing to go on this?

Yes, after we have 4.1.6 out I will take a deep breath and branch 4.1.7
if nobody objects.

> And I suggest also to branch 4.2.0 from trunk. Jim you still available
> to be the release manager on this branch? - Maybe we should branch from
> the latest dev build version if we can find out and then check on the
> commits.

OK!

Trunk then has to be bumped up in version number?

> I am not available at the moment for release manager. But it would be
> good to continue, to be able to have release versions prepared.

Back to 4.1.6: Is anyone already working on the Release Notes?

Regards,

   Matthias

> All the best
>
> Peter

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: starting 4.1.7 and 4.2.0 Releases

Kay Schenk-2

On 11/12/2018 05:39 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

>> On Nov 11, 2018, at 11:36 AM, Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> And I suggest also to branch 4.2.0 from trunk. Jim you still available
>> to be the release manager on this branch? - Maybe we should branch from
>> the latest dev build version if we can find out and then check on the
>> commits.
> That works for me. Anyone have any angst about me being RM for 4.2.0?
No angst here!  :)

Re: starting 4.1.7 and 4.2.0 Releases

Marcus (OOo)
Am 12.11.18 um 14:39 schrieb Jim Jagielski:

>> On Nov 11, 2018, at 11:36 AM, Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> And I suggest also to branch 4.2.0 from trunk. Jim you still available
>> to be the release manager on this branch? - Maybe we should branch from
>> the latest dev build version if we can find out and then check on the
>> commits.
>
> That works for me. Anyone have any angst about me being RM for 4.2.0?

of course not, thanks for volunteering.

Marcus

Re: starting 4.1.7 and 4.2.0 Releases

Marcus (OOo)
> Am 11.11.18 um 17:36 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>>
>> I am not available at the moment for release manager. But it would be
>> good to continue, to be able to have release versions prepared.
>
> Back to 4.1.6: Is anyone already working on the Release Notes?

compared to 4.1.5 [1] we have no other difference than the bugs that are
fixed and therefore only the list of bugs need to be changed, right?

OK, beside version number, SVN rev number, etc. ;-)

That would also mean we can re-use the translated release notes in an
easy way, right?

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.5+Release+Notes

Thanks

Marcus

Re: starting 4.1.7 and 4.2.0 Releases

Matthias Seidel
Hi Marcus,

Am 12.11.18 um 21:05 schrieb Marcus:

>> Am 11.11.18 um 17:36 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>>>
>>> I am not available at the moment for release manager. But it would be
>>> good to continue, to be able to have release versions prepared.
>>
>> Back to 4.1.6: Is anyone already working on the Release Notes?
>
> compared to 4.1.5 [1] we have no other difference than the bugs that
> are fixed and therefore only the list of bugs need to be changed, right?
>
> OK, beside version number, SVN rev number, etc. ;-)
>
> That would also mean we can re-use the translated release notes in an
> easy way, right?
Keith has already prepared a template, but in fact it would be easier to
just copy the 4.1.5 Release Notes and update them accordingly.

Regards,

   Matthias

> [1]
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.5+Release+Notes
>
> Thanks
>
> Marcus

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: starting 4.1.7 and 4.2.0 Releases

Andrea Pescetti-2
On 11/11/2018 Peter Kovacs wrote:
> I suggest that we start right away with an Parallel development of 4.1.7
> Release branch.

First, we'll have to officially release and announce 4.1.6.

Then energy should really go to 4.2.0. Only if there are any outstanding
bugs or regressions we should release a 4.1.7.

I think that, unlike 4.2.0 that still requires lots of efforts, 4.1.x is
so predictable that we could even have a defined process for it, like:
- Early January 2019 (not earlier) we discuss whether it is desirable to
have a 4.1.7
- Late January 2019 we release 4.1.7 in case
- Then everybody goes back to working on 4.2.0 for some time
- Then we repeat in, say, April or even later.

Otherwise we'll always risk to fit "yet another small fix" into 4.1.x
instead of making progress on 4.2.0. The 4.1.x releases had the merit to
expand the basis of potential Release Managers (a lot of people
alternated in the Release Manager role and turn-over is a good thing),
but we can't go on wasting energy on 4.1.x.

But again: first, we'll have to officially release and announce 4.1.6.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: starting 4.1.7 and 4.2.0 Releases

Patricia Shanahan

On 11/12/2018 2:49 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> On 11/11/2018 Peter Kovacs wrote:
>> I suggest that we start right away with an Parallel development of 4.1.7
>> Release branch.
>
> First, we'll have to officially release and announce 4.1.6.
>
> Then energy should really go to 4.2.0. Only if there are any outstanding
> bugs or regressions we should release a 4.1.7.
>
> I think that, unlike 4.2.0 that still requires lots of efforts, 4.1.x is
> so predictable that we could even have a defined process for it, like:
> - Early January 2019 (not earlier) we discuss whether it is desirable to
> have a 4.1.7
> - Late January 2019 we release 4.1.7 in case
> - Then everybody goes back to working on 4.2.0 for some time
> - Then we repeat in, say, April or even later.
>
> Otherwise we'll always risk to fit "yet another small fix" into 4.1.x
> instead of making progress on 4.2.0. The 4.1.x releases had the merit to
> expand the basis of potential Release Managers (a lot of people
> alternated in the Release Manager role and turn-over is a good thing),
> but we can't go on wasting energy on 4.1.x.
>
> But again: first, we'll have to officially release and announce 4.1.6.

The way I see it, we should be keeping 4.1.x for security fixes that
cannot wait until 4.2.0. As such, we may need to decide to release 4.1.7
at any time. It needs to be ready to go ASAP if a really serious
security bug shows up.

---
https://www.avg.com

On 12/11/2018 Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> The way I see it, we should be keeping 4.1.x for security fixes that
> cannot wait until 4.2.0. As such, we may need to decide to release 4.1.7
> at any time.

Sure, this is obvious. Thanks for pointing it out and of course I agree
with it. I was commenting on the idea to plan a 4.1.7 release, outside
the "emergency mode" you mention.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: starting 4.1.7 and 4.2.0 Releases

Peter Kovacs-3
I do not see your issue. Our release team works much faster then the dev
team progresses on 4.2.0.

And to train releases is vital for us. 4.1.6 did not really bind any
developer, beyond security issues.

A 4.1.7 will keep the routine and knowledge active while we develop 4.2.0.

All the best

Peter

Peter Kovacs wrote:
> I do not see your issue. Our release team works much faster then the dev
> team progresses on 4.2.0.

There is a major difference between a 4.1.x and a new release like
4.2.0: for 4.2.0 we need the entire community, not only what you call
the "release team" and developers (read: localization efforts, organized
QA efforts, a possible public beta, a baseline update...). If you
believe that 4.2.0 is only for developers you are underestimating the task.

> A 4.1.7 will keep the routine and knowledge active while we develop 4.2.0.

We have many millions of users. We must provide some value with a
release. This meant waiting 11 months (and counting) between 4.1.5 and
4.1.6; if 4.1.6 has no major regressions, we can surely wait some months
before considering a 4.1.7 (again, in a non-emergency situation).

But I would really like that we stop talking about this virtual 4.1.7
release and actually release 4.1.6 for real.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: starting 4.1.7 and 4.2.0 Releases

Matthias Seidel

> Peter Kovacs wrote:
>> I do not see your issue. Our release team works much faster then the dev
>> team progresses on 4.2.0.
>
> There is a major difference between a 4.1.x and a new release like
> 4.2.0: for 4.2.0 we need the entire community, not only what you call
> the "release team" and developers (read: localization efforts,
> organized QA efforts, a possible public beta, a baseline update...).
> If you believe that 4.2.0 is only for developers you are
> underestimating the task.
>
>> A 4.1.7 will keep the routine and knowledge active while we develop
>> 4.2.0.
>
> We have many millions of users. We must provide some value with a
> release. This meant waiting 11 months (and counting) between 4.1.5 and
> 4.1.6; if 4.1.6 has no major regressions, we can surely wait some
> months before considering a 4.1.7 (again, in a non-emergency situation).
>
> But I would really like that we stop talking about this virtual 4.1.7
> release and actually release 4.1.6 for real.
Peter wanted to move the Release from the dev to the release area soon.

I have already created a staged directory at SourceForge, so we can
upload the binaries there.
After that I think Marcus can test his new scripts for the download
(test) page?

And as discussed before, we should simply copy the Release Notes from
4.1.5 and update them for 4.1.6.

Regards,

   Matthias

> Regards,
>   Andrea.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: starting 4.1.7 and 4.2.0 Releases

Keith N. McKenna
On 11/12/2018 4:34 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:

> Hi Marcus,

>>> Back to 4.1.6: Is anyone already working on the Release Notes?
>>
>> compared to 4.1.5 [1] we have no other difference than the bugs that
>> are fixed and therefore only the list of bugs need to be changed, right?
>>
>> OK, beside version number, SVN rev number, etc. ;-)
>>
>> That would also mean we can re-use the translated release notes in an
>> easy way, right?
>
> Keith has already prepared a template, but in fact it would be easier to
> just copy the 4.1.5 Release Notes and update them accordingly.
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
>

>> [1]
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.5+Release+Notes
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Marcus

Please feel free do do whatever you want with the Release Notes. I
developed the Space Level Release Notes template for 2 specific reasons.
The first was to give some structure and consistency to the
documentation we publish for public consumption; the second was to give
a base structure with the boilerplate information already there so all
that is needed is to plug in the information specific to that that
release. I was planning on reviewing the base note tomorrow and adding
some of the needed information. If instead the consensus is jut to copy
the 4.1.5 notes over the base one I can do that tomorrow as well.

Regards
Keith

Re: starting 4.1.7 and 4.2.0 Releases

Peter Kovacs-3
Andrea,

I am just saying a 4.1.7 release has nothing to do with the efforts we
have to organize for 4.2.0.

I hope I upload now into the right place, but I have initiated the task.

All the best

Peter

On 13.11.18 00:48, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> Peter Kovacs wrote:
>> I do not see your issue. Our release team works much faster then the dev
>> team progresses on 4.2.0.
>
> There is a major difference between a 4.1.x and a new release like
> 4.2.0: for 4.2.0 we need the entire community, not only what you call
> the "release team" and developers (read: localization efforts,
> organized QA efforts, a possible public beta, a baseline update...).
> If you believe that 4.2.0 is only for developers you are
> underestimating the task.
>
>> A 4.1.7 will keep the routine and knowledge active while we develop
>> 4.2.0.
>
> We have many millions of users. We must provide some value with a
> release. This meant waiting 11 months (and counting) between 4.1.5 and
> 4.1.6; if 4.1.6 has no major regressions, we can surely wait some
> months before considering a 4.1.7 (again, in a non-emergency situation).
>
> But I would really like that we stop talking about this virtual 4.1.7
> release and actually release 4.1.6 for real.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

***UNCHECKED*** Re: starting 4.1.7 and 4.2.0 Releases

Peter Kovacs-3
Release is now in the svn branch.

I remove tonight the 4.1.5 release, any objections?

So how much time do we need? is release date 16th November feasable?

On 13.11.18 01:30, Peter Kovacs wrote:

> Andrea,
>
> I am just saying a 4.1.7 release has nothing to do with the efforts we
> have to organize for 4.2.0.
>
> I hope I upload now into the right place, but I have initiated the task.
>
> All the best
>
> Peter
>
> On 13.11.18 00:48, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> Peter Kovacs wrote:
>>> I do not see your issue. Our release team works much faster then the dev
>>> team progresses on 4.2.0.
>> There is a major difference between a 4.1.x and a new release like
>> 4.2.0: for 4.2.0 we need the entire community, not only what you call
>> the "release team" and developers (read: localization efforts,
>> organized QA efforts, a possible public beta, a baseline update...).
>> If you believe that 4.2.0 is only for developers you are
>> underestimating the task.
>>
>>> A 4.1.7 will keep the routine and knowledge active while we develop
>>> 4.2.0.
>> We have many millions of users. We must provide some value with a
>> release. This meant waiting 11 months (and counting) between 4.1.5 and
>> 4.1.6; if 4.1.6 has no major regressions, we can surely wait some
>> months before considering a 4.1.7 (again, in a non-emergency situation).
>>
>> But I would really like that we stop talking about this virtual 4.1.7
>> release and actually release 4.1.6 for real.
>>
>> Regards,
>>   Andrea.

Re: ***UNCHECKED*** Re: starting 4.1.7 and 4.2.0 Releases

Matthias Seidel
Hi Peter,

Am 13.11.18 um 08:04 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
> Release is now in the svn branch.
>
> I remove tonight the 4.1.5 release, any objections?

If you speak of

https://www.apache.org/dist/openoffice/4.1.5/

our project page [1] still points to it, so please wait until the page
is updated after the final release...

Regards,

   Matthias

[1] https://openoffice.apache.org/downloads.html

> So how much time do we need? is release date 16th November feasable?
>
> On 13.11.18 01:30, Peter Kovacs wrote:
>> Andrea,
>>
>> I am just saying a 4.1.7 release has nothing to do with the efforts we
>> have to organize for 4.2.0.
>>
>> I hope I upload now into the right place, but I have initiated the task.
>>
>> All the best
>>
>> Peter

>>> There is a major difference between a 4.1.x and a new release like
>>> 4.2.0: for 4.2.0 we need the entire community, not only what you call
>>> the "release team" and developers (read: localization efforts,
>>> organized QA efforts, a possible public beta, a baseline update...).
>>> If you believe that 4.2.0 is only for developers you are
>>> underestimating the task.

>>> We have many millions of users. We must provide some value with a
>>> release. This meant waiting 11 months (and counting) between 4.1.5 and
>>> 4.1.6; if 4.1.6 has no major regressions, we can surely wait some
>>> months before considering a 4.1.7 (again, in a non-emergency situation).
>>>
>>> But I would really like that we stop talking about this virtual 4.1.7
>>> release and actually release 4.1.6 for real.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>   Andrea.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: ***UNCHECKED*** Re: starting 4.1.7 and 4.2.0 Releases

Matthias Seidel
Hi Peter,

Am 13.11.18 um 08:04 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
> Release is now in the svn branch.

There are a lot of languages missing...

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/openoffice/4.1.6/binaries/

https://www.apache.org/dist/openoffice/4.1.6/binaries/