startup time

Thomas Maier-Komor-3
Hi everybody,

I have two machines running StarOffice, which are almost same spec,
concerning processor and I/O speed, but differ in startup time of
StarOffice dramatically. So I took a look using truss at the startup
procedure of soffice. Doing this, I observed the following:

- soffice opens a lot of files in /usr/share/locale/*. I could track
this to the package SUNWgnome-l10nmessages-extra which installs a lot of
files there. Removing this package dramatically increases the
performance. I don't really know why all these files are being opened (a
lot of shared objects, which really don't belong to staroffice), but I
think the reason for this should be investigated if it hasn't been done
already.

- additionally, soffice marks all possible filedescriptors as close on
exec (i.e. a for loop from 3 to sysconfig(_CONFIG_OPEN_FILES) using
fcntl(fd,F_SETFD,FD_CLOEXEC). This also takes fairly long and could be
avoided by various mechanisms (e.g. closefrom on Solaris comes to my
mind or setting this flag when a file is opened).

Cheers,
Tom